[Script] WME Validator 2020.04.12 (PLACES BETA)

Discussion for the unofficial, community-developed addons, extensions and scripts built for the Waze Map Editor.

The official index of these tools is the Community Plugins, Extensions and Tools wiki page.

Moderators: Unholy, bextein, Glodenox, JustinS83

Forum rules
Discussion for the unofficial, community-developed addons, extensions and scripts built for the Waze Map Editor.

DO NOT START a new thread unless it is about a new idea. Keep discussion of existing tools within the main thread for that tool.

The official index of these tools is the Community Plugins, Extensions and Tools wiki page.

Re: [Script] WME Validator 2018.11.10 (BETA)

Postby iainhouse » Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:28 am

turbomkt wrote:
berestovskyy wrote:Thanks, yaacobyy. Will be fixed in the next release.

This should NOT be fixed. With two segments like the example, Waze may suggest a route via the wrong way. It's counter-intuitive, but I have seen it done. A two segment loop, even with one way segments, must be fixed.

I have to agree. In the app, routes are provided as a list of junction nodes. The app then routes from one node to the next. If there are 2 nodes with 2 separate segments joining the nodes, the app behaviour cannot be determined. The app may instruct the user to take one segment, but show the other segment being used on-screen. In URs, I have seen one segment highlighted as the given route with instruction icons for the other route.

Whilst it might seem obvious that Waze will not route the wrong way along a one-way segment, that is no guarantee of what instructions will be given, what the app will display or what will be recorded/reported in a UR. I think it's safer that we add the extra node - even if it seems intuitively unnecessary.
[ img ][ img ][ img ]
UK AdminsUK WikiWaze FAQWMEFU Script :ugeek:
I want to go to a commune in Vermont and deal with no unit of time shorter than a season
iainhouse
Country Manager
Country Manager

Location: on the road from London to insanity, with Waze HQ in the driving seat

Postby iainhouse » Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:33 am

I don't think it's reported as a bug and would probably not be accepted anyway.

Waze routes node-to-node and always has done. We've been told not to map multiple single segments connecting a pair of nodes and that's the very reason checks like this exist. If we reported such a routing bug, I expect the reply would be "the map is incorrect and should be fixed".

Ideally, it would be nice if the app/routing engine could spot this problem. But it hasn't for many years and I don't expect it ever will.
[ img ][ img ][ img ]
I want to go to a commune in Vermont and deal with no unit of time shorter than a season
iainhouse
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby iainhouse » Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:36 pm

theMadcabbie wrote:Feature Request

Is it possible to validate the correct abbreviations for Road names i.e Rd and St etc as per our UK list?

Thank you in advance.

The Validator Localization pack for United Kingdom already validates UK road names - although it hasn't been updated for names using the > symbol.
[ img ][ img ][ img ]
iainhouse
Country Manager
Country Manager

Re: [Script] WME Validator 2019.02.26 (BETA)

Postby iainhouse » Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:23 pm

The update seems to have fixed multiple issues I was seeing:
  • Alt-click on second segment not selecting all between first & second
  • WME Toolbox failing during load 9 times out of 10 with missing highlights and an empty drop-down menu
  • Attempts to set speed limits using WME Speedhelper behaving very strangely!
Thanks for the quick fix. :mrgreen:
[ img ][ img ][ img ]
iainhouse
Country Manager
Country Manager

Re: [Script] WME Validator 2019.09.24 (PLACES BETA)

Postby iangpowell » Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:52 pm

Brand new installation of this script, and it's not working as described in the last few posts. Installed fine, and to get it to display in the left panel also had to install WME Fix Map Object as described.

Click play, and it tells me "starting! layers are off to scan faster", and then nothing. It doesn't strictly crash, as I can still click around, and pause/stop, but no report appears and nothing else happens.

I've disabled all other scripts to troubleshoot, and this doesn't help.
[ img ] [ img ] [ img ]
AM for Oxfordshire, UK and Co Donegal, Ireland
iangpowell
Area Manager
Area Manager

Re: [Script] WME Validator 1.0.2 / 04.07.2014

Postby ifaesfu » Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:25 pm

WaseYves wrote:I got that message

WME Validator v1.0.2 error:
This build of WME Validator has expired. Please upgrade!

Try to re-install from Chrome Web Store.
Don't work.

How do i fix that ?

Same here. I installed it yesterday, so I have been able to use it for a couple of hours only.
ifaesfu
Map Editor - Level 4
Map Editor - Level 4

Re: [Script] WME Validator 1.0.2 / 04.07.2014

Postby ifaesfu » Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:51 pm

ifaesfu
Map Editor - Level 4
Map Editor - Level 4

Re: [Script] WME Validator 1.1.19 / 04.06.2016

Postby impulse200 » Mon Sep 12, 2016 2:38 pm

SpencerFG wrote:I found the whole map "lit up." I first turned Validator off, then tried checking the box. That worked but I'm still getting the "too many errors" message.

This is true for most editors I've been talking to. Not only validator is broken by marking all segments "unconfirmed". It also breaks saving changes.
impulse200

Postby impulse200 » Wed Sep 14, 2016 8:03 pm

I wonder why not to integrate Validator and Toolbox features strait into the WME? Those two are already must have for any editor out there.
impulse200

Postby impulse200 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 6:02 am

RussPA wrote:
impulse200 wrote:I wonder why not to integrate Validator and Toolbox features strait into the WME? Those two are already must have for any editor out there.

Judging by how well each editor update goes (or doesn't go) and by how many bugs pop up, do you really trust the Waze programmers with these two important functions?
Editor script writers are much more responsive to problems that pop up, let's keep it this way

iainhouse wrote:
impulse200 wrote:I wonder why not to integrate Validator and Toolbox features strait into the WME? Those two are already must have for any editor out there.

There are a couple of reasons.

The most important reason, by far, is simply that nobody at Waze HQ is a heavy or regular editor. This is readily apparent from all the obstacles and broken workflows they have thrown at us over the years; from the fact that the WME UI is plainly designed for use on large, high resolution screens.

As a result, they have little or no idea of what tools will actually be helpful to us. Validator and Toolbox (and other scripts) are provided by people who actually edit the map. They know what they would find useful, then go and develop it.

I'll give you a prime example: editor notes on the map. I proposed having a special type of UR here back in 2014, and that wasn't the first proposal along those lines. Waze never responded. Instead, we started adding URs with [TAGS] in the text. URO+ added the ability to provide custom icons for tagged URs. 2½ years later this system is used across the world. This summer, at various meetups, Waze have finally admitted that some sort of editor note system is needed and is under development.

And that brings me to the other reason why these scripts aren't part of WME: responsiveness. It's taken literally years to get an Editor Note facility added to WME - and it's not here yet. But if you want a new ability for WME from a script you can just ask. If someone who can write a script thinks it's a good idea, there could be a new script within days, or a new feature added to an existing script. Waze HQ will never match the level of response provided by the script writers.

Right now, we're going through the regular painful period after a WME update. I know that Toolbox and URO+ have already been updated, as I'm sure some other scripts have. Within a week or so, most scripts will have been fixed. Yes, a Validator update is likely to be slow because the author doesn't have much time for Waze nowadays. But here, "slow" might mean a few weeks. Compared to Waze HQ, where slow might mean a few years!

There is no way I would like to hand over control of what I consider critical parts of the editing experience to Waze HQ. I'd rather it stayed in the hands of people like us - who actually edit and care about our experience and the experience of other editors..

This all sounds... well... a bit masochistic. What else makes all of us waste our time on this crapware?

Closer to topic. Has anyone figured out what is causing "not verified" and, more importantly, saving issues in Validator? We probably could hack it ourselves...

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk
impulse200

PreviousNext

Return to Addons, Extensions, and Scripts