New(?) Idea - Custom Picture Underlay

Discussion for the unofficial, community-developed addons, extensions and scripts built for the Waze Map Editor.

The official index of these tools is the Community Plugins, Extensions and Tools wiki page.

Moderators: Unholy, bextein

Forum rules
Discussion for the unofficial, community-developed addons, extensions and scripts built for the Waze Map Editor.

DO NOT START a new thread unless it is about a new idea. Keep discussion of existing tools within the main thread for that tool.

The official index of these tools is the Community Plugins, Extensions and Tools wiki page.

Re: New(?) Idea - Custom Picture Underlay

Postby OhioStMusicMan » Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:22 pm

Taco909 wrote:Based on the above exchange, is this now permitted?
From what I'm reading, it sounds like I am not even allowed to drive to a location and write down street names in a new development that has been paved and needs editing.

This is the end of the entry regarding external sources:
Waze Staff wrote:Note that external copyright information does not include any source of information that is provided by Waze through the internal tools of the online editor or application. Also any information developed independently by a user being physically present at a site is acceptable to add to the map as long as it is provided without copyright. (emphasis added)

So, of course, physically going somewhere and getting information is perfectly valid. Otherwise, URs wouldn't be allowed! That being said, basically, if you're using data from a private entity, chances are it is copyrighted and it's not a good idea to use it (eg., using Mapquest map info to modify the waze map). Documents/maps made by the federal government are not protected by copyright BUT documents made by individual states or localities COULD be (thank you 10th amendment). So, to be safe, do a bit of background digging to make sure you're safe.

With all of that said, I could certainly use such a tool with items I know are in the clear! ;)
OhioStMusicMan
Waze Mentor
Waze Mentor

Postby qwaletee » Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:14 pm

CBenson wrote:
qwaletee wrote:The Supreme Court says so.

Waze covers a much larger area than the jurisdiction of the Supreme Court does.

Yes, I should have specified I was only covering US IP law. Should be OK for US sources for US maps.
qwaletee
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Location: NYC Metro - Active throughout NE^2 (Northeast & New England)

Postby iainhouse » Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:29 am

CBenson wrote:

Someone should remind the Supreme Court of that. :lol:
iainhouse
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby CBenson » Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:42 pm

CBenson
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby taco909 » Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:10 pm

The Bing/Google thing is very interesting.
One of the tools that I use for timing traffic signals uses Bing maps for backgrounds. The company wanted to use Google (likely because they tend to be more current), but Google's licensing agreement would have required them to pay for each tile downloaded by each client.
Bing agreed to a fixed-price contract.
taco909
Map Editor - Level 4
Map Editor - Level 4

Postby qwaletee » Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:19 pm

No, that's not true. Facts are not copyrightable. For example, the phone book can't be copyrighted (the telcos tried to back when they still had a monopoly and it mattered to them that someone might copy the Yellow Pages or White Pages). The Supreme Court says so.

So feel free to go to a new development, Pave Roads, jot down names from street signs, and publish to the map.

The issue at hand is whether you can take someone else's map or satellite image, and trace its outlines. For a map, if you literally follow its contours, you would have a problem. If you use it as guidance for how to draw your own, without actually tarcing it, you are on safer ground, though there cna still be issues.

Satellite images taken by a private company might have the same rule as a map. It isn't clear. if I take a picture of a public place, even though he place and its appearance can't be copyrighted, my image of it can be, because my particular "take" is a creative work. Whether satellite images from space taken by an automated system can be considered creative is not as cut and dried, but there is room for the publishers to say so, especially since they apply their own "creative algorithms" to stitch together the smaller images into a somewhat seamless whole.

Google satellite images are not a problem, because they are licensed to Waze. Waze used to license Bing, and I'm not sure how that license worked, but today, Bing isn't licensed, and any new tracings would be questionable.
qwaletee
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Postby taco909 » Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:22 am

Based on the above exchange, is this now permitted?
From what I'm reading, it sounds like I am not even allowed to drive to a location and write down street names in a new development that has been paved and needs editing.
taco909
Map Editor - Level 4
Map Editor - Level 4

Postby qwaletee » Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:42 am

I now have a tool that makes it possible to put your browser window on top of an image viewer, and make the browser window semi-transparent, revealing the graphic underneath.
qwaletee
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Postby AndyPoms » Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:57 am

Incoming PM.
AndyPoms
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Re: custom imagery

Postby CBenson » Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:56 pm

dbraughlr wrote:Not everything is copyrighted, certainly not engineering plans that are available free from government websites. It's not like we are stealing their design.

What makes you think engineering plans available from government websites are not copyrighted?

It is owned by the government and placed in the public domain.

What indicates that the diagram is either owned by the government or is placed in the public domain?

I not saying you can't reference the drawing, but saying it isn't copyrighted seems unlikely to me.
CBenson
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Next

Return to Addons, Extensions, and Scripts