Discussion for the unofficial, community-developed addons, extensions and scripts built for the Waze Map Editor.

The official index of these tools is the Community Plugins, Extensions and Tools wiki page.
Post by davielde
voludu2 wrote:I am finding this quite useful. Thanks!

Would it be possible to include a checkbox or button to temporarily turn it off while investigating something else nearby? Sometimes FC hightlighter, Color Highlighter, and toolbox all want to highlight the same segment(s), and it is useful to see just one at a time, without refreshing the whole browser.

Thanks again for a useful extension.
There is a "Functional Classification" option in the layer switcher (no keyboard shortcut though). Will toggling that work for you?
davielde
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/6/69/W ... 00k_5c.png
CM: USA
SM: Michigan, Vermont
AM: Ann Arbor, MI & Thunder Bay, ON
WME Michigan

Post by davielde
It would probably be a few weeks before anything gets released. Yes on 1. I can look into 2 and 3.
davielde
Send a message
WME Michigan

Post by davielde
bz2012 wrote:Not sure what has changed, (nothing that I know of, except perhaps WME(?!) but I can't reproduce the problem either now!
This morning, I did a 'binary search' by turning off half my extensions, and eventually narrowed down the problem to FC Highlights. Problem would go away when it was turned off.
Now, the problem is gone. I have not even rebooted my computer.
Thanks. I do not have this script enabled much anymore, but it seemed to behave okay for me with Toolbox enabled in Chrome. If it happens again, please post.
davielde
Send a message
WME Michigan

Post by doctorkb
sketch wrote:
bz2012 wrote:As I fight to convert areas from old mapping standard roads to FC mapping standards,
I was wondering how difficult it would be to 'recolor' the roads on the map so that
1) the colors 'match' the US FC maps colors for the equivalent types of WAZE map types.
objective: make the WAZE map, if properly configured, MATCH the FC map. That way, a quick glance at an area should show which segments need to be fixed.
There are 2 hurdles here:
  1. Each state uses its own color scheme.
  2. It would not account for US and state highways, although this could be programmed in for each state too.
Believe, though, that if I knew how to write one of these things, I would be all over this. :D

Given sketch's comments, I'm not sure I'm ready to entirely take this on, but there are a couple caveats I'd mention before going further with it.

Highlights merely overlays a colour, with a degree of transparency. I don't believe we can recolour the roads -- though we might be able to put some colour overtop to get it close to the FC map colours. Alternatively, we don't set transparency, and it blocks out street names...

I'm also assuming you mean that it basically colours the Waze map to match the colour scheme on the FC map, let's start with one state -- if you get me the colours (in HTML #xxxxxx format), I can look at making something simple (it would be a separate script) that adds that overlay. Once we have it working for one state, we could look at expanding it out.
doctorkb
Answers: 4
Send a message

Post by doctorkb
I've not got anything productive to show for it, but I'm working on it. :)
doctorkb
Send a message

Post by doctorkb
Ok, so...

First, the caveats:
1. it is based on WMECH (thanks, Timbones!)
2. as such, it doesn't get along well with it -- you need to disable one to enable the other and not have a seizure-inducing flashing
3. to change it for each state, you'll need to amend the colours at the top
4. you'll need to use TamperMonkey / GreaseMonkey -- I won't be packaging this for Chrome store (too much PITA)

TO-DO
1. get along with WMECH (maybe integrate the two?)
2. make a drop box for each state so it can be selected with

This is presented more as a proof-of-concept than a production-ready model. YMMV.

Download here:
doctorkb
Send a message

Post by doctorkb
AdreNalinGuY wrote: I know it is volunteer labor man. Everything about Waze is volunteer labor. You are coding. I am editing. It is not like I want to make money with your script )) Though, I understand your concerns. So I am really looking forward to this. ;)
AdreNalinGuY:

I'm going to take this opportunity to get a little defensive at this comment.

I offered to look into this, in addition to everything else I'm doing in the Waze ecosystem. That includes being the only active Global Champ for a country larger than the US, and one of only a half-dozen country managers for said country. We're trying to build the community, and that is taking most of my Waze-cycles.

I don't mind doing stuff like this -- but it's my "fun" time. AND... coding in JavaScript is about as enjoyable for me as pulling fingernails out... that said, the product of this type of work tends to be rewarding -- it takes 1000 failures to get one partial success.

Thanks for your consideration...
doctorkb
Send a message

Post by doctorkb
sketch wrote:Very cool!

Seems to be working pretty well. Of course, now that the hard part is over, the tedious part is next — adding the right colors per state! :D

One weird thing I noticed: if you sit in one spot and activate/deactivate the script (using the sidebar checkbox), it doesn't do anything with ramps unless you (1) mouse over them or (2) zoom the map. All the other types show/hide with the checkbox. Odd!
Yes, very odd. Probably has something to do with the "uncolour" logic. I'll try and figure that one out. :)
doctorkb
Send a message

Post by doctorkb
KuniaKid wrote:Yes, very cool. And thanks for your work.

I've noticed the same thing as sketch regarding the ramps. Also, a selected segment looses its' blue color just leaving the geometry nodes and the underlying color. This happens whether checkbox is selected or not.
I probably should have mentioned that the most straightforward way to use this is actually to disable the road layer -- the underlying colours will cause confusion.

At the moment, I'd recommend only using this to verify things -- due to it's lack of coexistence with WMECH and some of these bugs, it really isn't something to leave enabled all the time.

Perhaps Timbones and I can work out a way to collaborate together into WMECH, and perhaps just have this functionality built-in to that script... :)
doctorkb
Send a message

Post by doctorkb
bz2012 wrote:Thank you for this script. I am sure that when a few kinks are worked out and some of us are educated in the proper use, it will be very useful!

I am currently trying to figure out how to get it to work and how to use it.

When I activate or deactivate the roads flash briefly with the highlight colors but go back to 'default' immediately.

If I turn off roads and activate/deactivate I get a brief glimpse of the FC'd colored segments.

Am I missing some magic words or arcane gestures?

When active, selected segments disappear except for their end points.
When active, 'shift-r' no longer toggles the roads layer. It must be turned on and off with the cursor.

Actions change when I pick a different 'left bar function' (like I go to 'Me' and go back to FC) or I alt tab to the forum window and then back to WME.
Now it is 'flashing' FC roads and the 'shift-r' is working.
Flashing continues even when I uncheck the FC roads enable box.
With regards to the flashing: do you have WME Colors & Highlights or the Highlight Places script installed and enabled? At the moment, they collide and are likely to produce that symptom.

If you don't, I'd love to do what I can... first off, I'd suggest trying WMECH (alone) to see if it does the same thing.
doctorkb
Send a message