City naming

Moderators: Unholy, orbitc

Re: City naming

Postby Asfalemeso » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:37 am

mareku188 wrote:Another question.
On north part of island cities and village have two name - Turkish and Greek (Cyprus). Which we have to use as primary?

Wysłane z mojego GT-N5110 przy użyciu Tapatalka

I believe the north part is observing Turkey administration rules, for the primary names. Locals they need not the greek names, but for south visitors would be much needed. It could also bring more transparency between the sides.
Last edited by Asfalemeso on Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Asfalemeso

Postby Asfalemeso » Wed May 30, 2018 9:06 am

Editors of Republic of Cyprus map shall use the official latin transliteration, avoiding reinventing the wheel. It is found on road signs and street name plates. If in future it will become a priority, the Greek transliteration can be added as Alt name, but until then there is too little demand for it.

The Department of Postal Services of the Republic of Cyprus had published a list of postal codes along with street names, municipalities/communities and districts. September 2018 version combines English and Greek names: Rep. of Cyprus Post Code Directory 2018.xlsx (English). In May 2018, the English version was here: 2017.09.30_Post Code Directory.xlsx (and Greek-only: 2017.09.30_Οδηγός Ταχυδρομικού Κώδικα.xlsx).
Source: the new website of Ministry of Transport, Communications and Works / Department of Postal Services - aka Cyprus Post.

In regardings to a previous concern and according to the official postcodes file, in case of:
Municipality/Community: Livadia Ammochostou
District: Ammochostos
in Waze map the city name should be Livadia Ammochostou, without parenthesis or other punctuation.
Asfalemeso

Postby bures » Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:40 am

mareku188 wrote:We can add street name in English or Greek (latin letter) as alt name. Just to find place or street.

Is there any rule which language should be main and which shoul be in alt name? It is not possible to add alternative name to streets without the street name unfortunately.

I know that there are different rules between Cyprus Rep. and Northern Cyprus. I do a lot of edits at northern part of island but I can help in the part of rest of the Cyprus.
bures
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby bures » Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:16 am

bures wrote:
mareku188 wrote:We can add street name in English or Greek (latin letter) as alt name. Just to find place or street.

Is there any rule which language should be main and which shoul be in alt name? It is not possible to add alternative name to streets without the street name unfortunately.

I know that there are different rules between Cyprus Rep. and Northern Cyprus. I do a lot of edits at northern part of island but I can help in the part of rest of the Cyprus.

FYI: I am using English transcription now.
bures
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby Corentin-48 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:25 pm

Hello,
if i understand we name new segments with only with their greek/latin city name so; we rename actual segments which have "english" name to this format.
If we name rename Nicosia by "Lefkosia (Nicosia)" and not only "Lefkosia" isn't better? It'll help local wazer, tourist wazer and us editors which are or aren't from Cyprus.

What do you think about this, could we suggest this naming to GC/LC?
Corentin-48
State Manager
State Manager

Postby Lenamax07 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:55 pm

I found another problem, there is a village name (Livadia) which is existent in 3 different districts:

Livadia Ammochostou
Livadia Larnakas
Livadia Lefkosias

How shall this be treated? Nobody in CY speaks from i.e Livadia Larnakas, it's only Livadia.

Also the municipality does nothing mention about (http://www.livadia.org.cy/?lang=en).

Please advise
Lenamax07

City naming

Postby mareku188 » Wed May 24, 2017 11:10 am

Hi.
I want to help with map in Cyprus.
Please let us know which city name is correct.
I found for example:
[*]Limassol and Lemesos
[*]Nicosia and Lefkosia
[*]Pafos and Paphos
We should have some standard for that.
Other problem is street name (some in greek and most in english). Same with POI.
mareku188
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs

Postby mareku188 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:07 pm

Another question.
On north part of island cities and village have two name - Turkish and Greek (Cyprus). Which we have to use as primary?

Wysłane z mojego GT-N5110 przy użyciu Tapatalka
mareku188
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs

Postby mareku188 » Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:39 am

mareku188 wrote:Another question.

In north part they use Turkish language. Livnig there turkich people so when they use Waze they use their (turkish) name of city and street. Here one example of UR https://www.waze.com/editor/?env=row&lo ... t=10688046
mareku188
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs

Postby mareku188 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:43 am

IMO we can add that village name as Livadia Ammochostou or Livadia (Ammochostou).
Till we can't add district to address than it is only way to solve that problem.
mareku188
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs

Next

Return to Cyprus