Great Lakes Road Lock Standards

Coordinator: GizmoGuy411 & ARC: RoadTechie | SkiDooGuy
------------------------------------------------------------

Moderators: delilush, roadtechie, GizmoGuy411, SkiDooGuy

Great Lakes Road Lock Standards

Postby GizmoGuy411 » Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:52 am

Our immediate goal should look at the Road Lock Standards that have already been established by other states and regions and try to find a solution that is as much in line with the others as possible.

Our ultimate goal should be to persuade other states and regions to do the same, so that we can establish a national standard with as few state exceptions as possible.

Once a national standard is established, we can remove guidance from the Region and move any absolutely necessary exceptions into the individual state Wikis.
[ img ]

U.S. based Emeritus Global Champ
U.S. Local Champ
U.S. Country Manager
U.S. Great Lakes RC: IL, IN, MI, OH, WI
AM: NW OH, NE IN, SE MI
Wiki Profile
Verizon: Google Pixel XL & iPad "3"
GizmoGuy411
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps

Re: Great Lakes Road Lock Standards

Postby SkiDooGuy » Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:26 am

I am all for sticking with the standard.

MH - 3
mH - 2
PS - 2

Larger cities may need increase to

MH - 4
mH - 3
PS - 2

Fwy - 5
Rmp - 5
Assistant Regional Coordinator: Great Lakes Region
Local Champ: Canada, USA
Country Manager: Canada, USA, Palau
Rank 6 editor
SkiDooGuy
Coordinators
Coordinators

Postby davielde » Sun Nov 23, 2014 4:00 am

Are larger cities more important? Is this because of the potential for more editors where there are more drivers?
[ img ]
CM: USA
SM: Michigan, Vermont
AM: Ann Arbor, MI & Thunder Bay, ON
WME Michigan
davielde

Postby SkiDooGuy » Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:34 am

davielde wrote:Are larger cities more important? Is this because of the potential for more editors where there are more drivers?

Exactly. Larger cities get more tourists and travelers.

Could have larger old editor bases that don't follow standard.

I'm not saying it WILL be needed. But it could be. I'd rather run a higher lock in that city and maybe need a few more unlocks, then have someone break something and me not find it for a while. (Detroit is on my mind in this. I work URs, but rarely have time to pan down at close zoom)
Assistant Regional Coordinator: Great Lakes Region
Local Champ: Canada, USA
Country Manager: Canada, USA, Palau
Rank 6 editor
SkiDooGuy
Coordinators
Coordinators

Postby davielde » Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:16 pm

Since the ultimate goal is consolidation into a standard with as few exceptions as possible, after reflecting on this a but, I think we should not make an exception for the size of a city population or local editor population. Whatever the levels end up being, simplicity is key. Worst case scenario, the last thing we need is an editor getting reamed for not applying the correct locking standard of all things. Plus, it makes it easier to incorporate said standard into a tool such as WME Toolbox, which is on the Dev team's backlog.
[ img ]
WME Michigan
davielde

Postby HELGRAMITE » Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:01 pm

Using the NE/NYC published standards I have spent the last couple of weeks in comms with AMs from around the community regarding their regional, state, or local standards.

Most did not know of any that applied in their region, and some did know there was an ongoing conversation. Overall, few had any strong feelings and usually said "I like that" when presented with my chart [below]. My opinion is the same response would have come had I presented ANY reasonable alignment.

The concept included in the chart below follows the NE/NYC approach, with a concept for how regional variations could be applied. When consider regional variations I proposal that regions could increase requirements from the national standard, but not lower them. This is an important construct, as the ability to reduce below a national standard defeats the entire purpose.

There has been discussion among GLR AMs to set MH=3 to enable AMs to better manage their areas. My concept maintains MH=4 not in a "do not trust them" context, but since we could have L3 AMs across the 25K - 100K range it would give the SMs, senior AMs, and Mentors opportunities to check, validate, and uh ... mentor the more junior AMs.

The other construct is a Major Impact assessment to determine if a higher lock level is needed. NE Region has done this with MH and mH in NYC. Discussions have varied between lock level 6, 5 or just +1 from their baseline level. I included the L6 option in the chart as it should generate the most discussion.

[ img ]
HELGRAMITE
Map Editor - Level 5
Map Editor - Level 5

Postby MeridianHills » Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:43 am

Street = 1

Primary Street = 2

Minor Highway = 3

Major Highway = 4

Freeway = 5

Ramps = Highest Locked Connected Segment

That should be the basic standard lock guidelines, special circumstances where it comes to odd intersections & complicated intersections should be handled on case by case analysis.
MeridianHills
Map Raider
Map Raider

Postby davielde » Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:05 am

I like the 1/2/3/4/5 progression from the last few posts on Street up to Fwy. Simple to remember.
[ img ]
WME Michigan
davielde

Postby jdeyoung » Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:07 pm

That progression also seems to make sense. Given the FC "importance" of mH, and level 2 being relatively easy to come by, I have seen too many L2 editors reverting FC classifications (in urban areas) because they don't think mH is appropriate. Since we don't have a way to really ensure that properly set FC designations can remain set unless we lock them, this would seem to be what we're left with.
[ img ]
AM Chicago, NW Indiana, SW Lower MI
jdeyoung

Location: Greater Chicago Metro area, NW Indiana, SW Lower MI, USA

Postby trukkurt » Fri Nov 28, 2014 6:46 pm

I personally get a "feeling" when I have to request assistance (lowering a lock) when there is an edit I can easily make to fix an obvious issue. I want to fix it right away and "be done with it" and I get a little frustrated about having to ask for and wait for assistance.

I also see it from the "need to protect the map" standpoint so I have not complained.

I get the feeling I may have started this recent push to enforce lock level standards when I sought help in Chat from a rank 6 editor (because I saw that as the fastest way to fix and "be done with it"). I suspected that prompted that rank 6 editor to apply pressure to our Michigan "family" to "get busy and enforce the standards that have been already set". I'm now inclined to seek help only in the MI forum or via PM/HO.

Anyway, whatever (perhaps NEW) standard gets established, I will adjust and support as well as I can with my current rank. That doesn't mean I'll alert everyone to all the MH rank 2 locks in my local area though because I enjoy the freedom of being able to edit and experiment a bit (i.e., with wayfinders, BC algorithms, etc). ☺
trukkurt

Next

Return to US Great Lakes