Parking Lot Area Guidance

Coordinator: orbitc & ARC: Banished
------------------------------------------------------------

Moderators: delilush, orbitc, banished

Parking Lot Area Guidance

Postby derrydrivin » Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:20 pm

I think the New Hampshire, Maine, and Vermont Wiki page sections on PLAs should be updated. All three wikis currently say to only map lots with the permission of the SM unless they are: "Public" lots, named lots, or Park and Rides.
Massachusetts and Connecticut Wikis seems to be more consistent with the national guidance and our actual regional practice, which is to map all PLAs.

I'd suggest New Hampshire, Maine, and Vermont adopt language for the Wiki similar to Massachusetts and Connecticut, such as:
"Parking Lots
(State) follows USA guidance for Parking Lots. In general, Parking Lot Areas (PLAs) should be added for all lots, including businesses with small parking lots (fewer than 10 spaces). Any improvements are helpful, but editors are encouraged to start with parking lots for event venues, shopping centers, public use lots, garages, multi-use parking lots, popular lots with heavy usage, and map problem flags or update requests; public (unrestricted) parking facilities including Park & Ride lots; and restricted lots (some restrictions apply, i.e. lots for customers or visitors only) associated with stadiums and event venues, shopping centers, etc. "

Rhode Island currently has its own language as well.
derrydrivin

Re: Parking Lot Area Guidance

Postby johnsninja58 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:45 am

Thank you for bringing this up. This looks like guidance that was pre the current PLA era. In reviewing the Vermont section of the Wazeopedia, it looks like this section can safely be removed.
Unless you have permission from the State Manager, please only map the following types of parking lots:

Public parking lots (Indicate that they are public lots in the description)
Named lots around an arena/theater/venue (advise SM when you do these)
Park and Ride lots/structures

I dont think we need to replicate guidance that will exist elsewhere if we have every intention of following national guidance. We can leave this section:
The Parking Lot Place marks a well-defined area constructed for off-street public parking, including parking structures and garages as well as at-grade lots. There are many elements that must be considered before deciding to map a parking lot. Currently, the details are covered in Places/Parking lot.
-John
-------
[ img ][ img ]
VT - State Manager
New England - Multi State Manager
johnsninja58
PartnerCoordinator
PartnerCoordinator

Re: Parking Lot Area Guidance

Postby derrydrivin » Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:02 pm

@Johnsninja58, I think your suggestion makes sense, directing to the national guidance rather than paraphrasing.
derrydrivin

Return to US New England