Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
Coordinator: orbitc & ARC: SanzClew
------------------------------------------------------------
Post by whoaitspete
AnotherEMTfromMA wrote:
banished wrote:Nowhere do we require joining Discord to edit, but it is expected.
This seams to contradict itself. You don’t have to do it BUT it is expected. Tell me one world where a supervisor tells you that something is expected and you DONT have to do it.

My concern is more with the form. You are asking for personal information and have no form of privacy practice. Since I had to sign up with Waze to be able to have an account you already have email and phone number. Asking for it again is redundant and there is no privacy statement form an unknown requester. You wouldn’t randomly give out your personal information including an email address to parties unknow. Don’t fault me for asking about this practice. Further MGL 201 CMR 17.00 Has provisions about loss of such data that could put you liable as I am sure your data storage practices are at risk. Most of your other regions do NOT require such enrollment what makes New England special and needing this? Don’t fault me for asking questions and not accepting things blindly.
"Owns or licenses, receives, stores, maintains, processes, or otherwise has access to personal information in connection with the provision of goods or services or in connection with employment."

We are not employers or a provider of any service - and the Discord server is in no way connected to Waze officially. We are no different than a local club or a group chat with friends. We are just other volunteer editors and we use that to communicate much more efficiently than these forums. The email address is literally just to send you the invitation to keep out spammers and bots. None of the information you provided Waze to sign up for an account comes to us, so we know literally nothing about you before joining. An Elks Lodge or local intramural soccer group would ask you way more information to join than we are.
whoaitspete
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs
Send a message

USA Local Champ | NY State Manager | Android Beta Tester
Northeast Region Discord / NY Wazeopedia / Waze NY Twitter

Post by whoaitspete
Well you are nitpicking my example. While we are editors across the US and globe, we have no official organization like the Elks. So fine, we are no more organized than your group chat with friends, local Pokemon Go group, or intramural sports team. There are no by-laws, charters, dues, etc. We literally are just a large group chat of volunteers and ask for some details to join our chat. If you don't like it, don't join. It's that simple. You can still edit the map and participate in the forum. We are not excluding anyone (except bots and spammers), we are not selling your email address (and you can just make a new email address with 0 personal details and we would have no idea anyway), we are not forcing you to join.

Just know that the structure for promotion built by Waze makes it much more difficult to get unlocks, rank promotions, etc. Participating in the community makes it easier as you learn skills through Discord and is much less asymmetric than the forum. If you make an accidental change that breaks something, participation in the community makes it easier for us to get a fix in place before it affects users. Many changes also take days to make it to the app, so it may feel like we are dismissing your changes and suggestions when in reality it takes time before we can give you an answer that something is working or that a change was successful. There is no instant gratification or communication of every step because they are not instant. Forums are fairly outdated, Discord is just making it easier.
whoaitspete
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs
Send a message

USA Local Champ | NY State Manager | Android Beta Tester
Northeast Region Discord / NY Wazeopedia / Waze NY Twitter