Coordinator: nzahn1 & ARC: ct13 | ldriveskier
------------------------------------------------------------

[DRAFT] Speed Limit Wiki Guidelines

Post by
This is draft guidance for Speed Limit implementation in the MAR region.
Speed Limits
Starting a public comment period now. Go!

POSTER_ID:301528

Send a message

Post by CBenson
Regarding SLs on PRs. Oddly you can set them. Just change them to street, set the limit, change them back to private and the SL shows in the app.

Regarding the page I have a couple of questions. Are there federal laws that designate maximum speeds for passenger vehicles? Are the speed limits on the parkways set by federal law?

I'm also wondering if we need to clarify the statement: "In addition, the app notifies users if they exceed a speed limit designated on the Waze map." Do we need to get into the details of the notifications provided in the client?
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902

Post by elliottp
I approve with no additional comments.
elliottp
Send a message

Post by lentz2
Like the draft. Is there any talk about the speed limits on ramps?
lentz2
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by lentz2
Also just drove threw a work zone. Should the work zone speed be used if it is a 24/7 speed limit until the work is done? aka. when they remove the sign.
lentz2
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by lentz2
There is now a USA wiki entry for SLs: https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/Speed_limits/USA. Is there anything that we need to readjust for the region?
lentz2
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by lentz2
subs5 wrote:
lentz2 wrote:There is now a USA wiki entry for SLs: https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/Speed_limits/USA. Is there anything that we need to readjust for the region?

No, this guidance was used to develop the national guidance. There are a few minor tweaks from what Nick initially submitted but it is very close to his original thoughts from Feb.

OK, So we were the template for the US. Got it. Thanks.
lentz2
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by MatthewStarbuck
Works for me. It's a bit more lengthy than one I had started, but I feel yours does target more of the variable speed limits. Mine more or less covers school zones and advisory signage (turn, exit) without much mention of night variation, truck variation, etc. Something a bit more condensed would go more easily into a state page and this would definitely fit better on regional and even national pages.

Don't think anyone will object. :)

Matt
MatthewStarbuck
Send a message
- Matthew
R3: USA
Commonwealth of Virginia

Post by MatthewStarbuck
CBenson wrote: Regarding the page I have a couple of questions. Are there federal laws that designate maximum speeds for passenger vehicles? Are the speed limits on the parkways set by federal law?

Not giving legal advice, but if you are pulled over on the Colonial National Historic Parkway in Williamsburg, Virginia; it is a federal summons and you have to appear in a federal court. and its a federal crime.

So *technically*
MatthewStarbuck
Send a message
- Matthew
Commonwealth of Virginia

Post by MatthewStarbuck
nzahn1 wrote:
lentz2 wrote:Like the draft. Is there any talk about the speed limits on ramps?
It's somewhat inherent in the "Use white SL signs, not yellow SL signs" guidance, but I'll add a blurb that the guidance is the same for ramps as for normal streets.
To clarify: There is a 25MPH RAMP sign....we can use the ramp sign..even if it is yellow?

nzahn1 wrote:
SeZAKxing wrote:How about leaving PLR and PR out completely until they can be directly viewed/set with the WME?
(changing FC to set "hidden" data should be left to experienced editors)
Possible, but as we are talking about PLR and PR, neither of these are FC related. Anyone else have an opinion.
As much of a speed limit fan as I am, for the one who did most of Williamsburg/JCC in a couple days...leave them out entirely. Most of our PLRs are private property and are minimally or not enforceable. (This is not legal advice. ;) :lol: ) That and it is too much work to add them in with the changing them back. If the Speed Box becomes available for PR and PLR, then maybe. But to me, since they are not on the table that was put in the VA hangout (Speed Limit Comparison scores) I do not deem it needed. Don't waste the resources on something that doesn't need it. :)

Matt
MatthewStarbuck
Send a message
- Matthew
Commonwealth of Virginia

Post by Nimbus-
nzahn1 wrote:
MatthewStarbuck wrote:To clarify: There is a 25MPH RAMP sign....we can use the ramp sign..even if it is yellow?
How's this? Does it answer your question?
Any highway ramp with speed limits posted on the regulatory black and white signs should be added to the road segments in the WME. Ramps with advisory speed signs, as shown below, should have no speed limit in the WME.
As it should be, we don't need to add speed limits to those segments. The "yellow" signs are already covered under Advisory Signs on that wiki, in case you missed it. ;)
Nimbus-
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message