Coordinator: nzahn1 & ARC: ct13 | ldriveskier
------------------------------------------------------------

Proposed Responses for SL URs

Post by subs5
Since we now have tons of SL URs coming in what about these as proposed responses if it is not just a quick fixed? Also if you want you can post the link to the SL reporting program.

1) Out of the blue post and no SL sign in SV or no SV. "Thanks for the report, can you post by the WHITE Speed Limit Sign with the correct speed? Also please note that your device's GPS calculation might have an accuracy problem so it can take 4-6 sec for it to show up on the screen if your device is lagging for the day."

2) Already have the SL transition posted and it correlates with SV, appears their app was slow to show new SL. "Thanks we have the correct Speed Limit transition posted there. Your device's GPS calculation might have an accuracy problem so it can take 4-6 sec for it to show up on the screen if your device is lagging for the day."

3) Already have a SL posted and the SV shows what we have is correct especially if it is fairly recent. "Thanks for the report, the Street View photos from 20XX show the speed as YY. If there is a new sign can you take a picture and send it to (editor email)? Also please note that your device's GPS calculation might have an accuracy problem so it can take 4-6 sec for it to show up on the screen if your device is lagging for the day."

4) For West Virginia if SL is already posted. "Thanks for the report, we recently posted the Speed Limit there and are waiting for Waze to go LIVE in West Virginia. We are told that will be soon."

5) For YELLOW advisory Speed Limit signs. Thanks for the report, but that is a yellow advisory sign, Waze only posts the legal speed limit on the WHITE Speed Limit signs. Please see https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/Speed_limits/USA

6) For Ramps . Thanks for the report, but we only put speed limits on ramps if the incoming and outgoing speed is the same or a WHITE Speed Limit signs. Please see https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/Speed_limits/USA"

Feel free to cut and paste in response to the new URs. Let me know if you have any proposed changes.
subs5
Country Manager
Country Manager
Answers: 3

POSTER_ID:16976950

Send a message

Post by moogonk
I'm not sure about blaming GPS lag for the delay in displaying the SL change. Waze has no problem knowing exactly where I am when I'm driving (as I can see as I pass cross-streets, etc.). Why would the GPS only lag for SL changes?

I think that the lag is within the app itself, and we can simply say something like
Thanks. We have the correct speed limit change posted there. When a speed limit changes as you drive, it may take a few seconds for the new speed limit to be displayed.

That way we aren't really speculating as to a cause, just stating facts that we know are true.
moogonk
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message
Moogonk
Country Manager & Multi-State Manager--CT, ME, MA, RI, VT. Rank 5 Resident New Hampshire State Manager

Sometimes you avoid the jam, sometimes you are the jam, and sometimes it's faster to go through the jam. - AndyPoms

Post by Robert04101
7) Missing or incorrect SL fixed: "Thanks for your report. The speed limit along this stretch of road has been updated."
Robert04101
Send a message

Post by Robert04101
A few grammar fixes:

1) Out of the blue post and no SL sign in SV or no SV. "Thanks for the report. In the future, please post by the WHITE Speed Limit Sign with the correct speed. Also please note that your device's GPS calculation might have an accuracy problem so it can take 4-6 sec for it to show up on the screen if your device is lagging for the day."

2) Already have the SL transition posted and it correlates with SV, appears their app was slow to show new SL. "Thanks; we have the correct Speed Limit transition posted there. Your device's GPS calculation might have an accuracy problem so it can take 4-6 sec for it to show up on the screen if your device is lagging for the day."

3) 3) Already have a SL posted and the SV shows what we have is correct especially if it is fairly recent. "Thanks for the report. The Street View photos from 20XX show the speed as YY. If there is a new sign can you take a picture and send it to (editor email)? Also please note that your device's GPS calculation might have an accuracy problem so it can take 4-6 sec for it to show up on the screen if your device is lagging for the day."

(I'm only being picky because these canned responses are incredibly helpful; thanks for starting this thread.)
Robert04101
Send a message

Post by subs5
You can modify the statements as you see appropriate.

I am confident with my original wording since I was involved in the US Navy's certification of the GPS for use on commissioned ships and work with the developers of the original system at Johns Hopkinns University Applied Physics Laboratory. That is why the Navy uses a Position of Uncertainty for a GPS fix and not an exact location like a small point.

Don't forget we are including the uncertainty of the Street View locations (we have all seen shifts in the aerial map); the uncertainty of the editor correctly locating the SL start/stop location; the number of satellites in use and their positions from the user; the accuracy of the device's signal reception and the time lag, etc. So we are using a micrometer and a laser to measure an approximate position and then swagging the time late position onto the app's map with a piece of chalk.

Your GPS will lag on some days and be ahead (lead) on others. Have you ever seen one of your own URs with the green GPS trace that is not snapped to the road segment? So even though it appears the you are passing the cross streets right on time, there are sometimes I can see them lag (or lead) the actual crossing.
subs5
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by subs5
No problem, that is why they are here. :D Glad that they help. I am getting tired of the SL UR for a transition that is posted already and matches SV. I have had 10 today alone..... Especially when the report is about 100 ft before the SL sign and transition....
subs5
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message