Coordinator: nzahn1 & ARC: ct13 | ldriveskier
------------------------------------------------------------

Invitation to try out the new MAR Discord Server

Post by subs5
Many Waze regions are experimenting or shifting to Discord as their local communication method. So the Mid-Atlantic Region leadership would like everyone to test out Discord. Discord is fairly new, so many may not have used it yet.

Please Access the MAR Discord server by signing up at this form This form has been depreciated. Click the link below to join:

Click this link to join the MAR Discord Server:

:arrow: https://discord.gg/MCMU29V9YF

After you give it a whirl for a while, please let us know what you think about Discord by posting in this forum. Once in on the MAR server you can access all four State channels.

There are benefits and disadvantages to both systems so we are trying to see what works best for the Editor Community. This is not a majority vote to select the MAR platform. Personal preference will be a consideration that is accounted in the decision. Other considerations such as whether all the other regions shift will also be considered.

So please jump in and try Discord. Note the Discord channel for each state is synched with the applicable state GHO so you won't miss anything on one method or another.

So see you on the Discord side..... "soon"...

subs5
Country Manager
Country Manager
Answers: 3

POSTER_ID:16976950

Send a message
Last edited by subs5 on Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post by tckma
It's a little difficult to understand Discord at first, but I think I can make the transition fairly easily. MAR and SAT and MapRaid are on different servers, and I'm not sure if one can be on all three at the same time. (I'm only on SAT because I took a road trip to NC a few weeks back and I had some questions when I edited in drive areas about the way things are done down there.)
tckma
Map Raider
Map Raider
Send a message
https://s.waze.tools/c3.pnghttps://s.waze.tools/s0075.png
Area Manager in MD (some of Carroll and Baltimore Counties) and PA (some of York and Adams Counties)
NWR/MAR Editor Exchange Program -- EA in Wyoming and Montana
Apple iPhone 6S, AT&T, iOS 13

Post by subs5
DCLemur wrote:I haven't seen anything formal posted about using the UNLOCKS channel as well. (In HO, we just posted in main section) For now, I am going to post the full request in the UL channel AND post a note in main channel (VA for this request) which should at provide a note in the GHO as well. **FYI - There appears to be no syncing of Discord UL requests to GHO -- of course, don't know how you would separate out the states.

Appreciate comments & feedback.
StephenR1966 posted in the Discord Unlock channel to just post downlocks/uplock requests in the separate state Discord Channels.

Reposted here for completeness for resolution of the above comment.
subs5
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by stephenr1966
subs5 wrote:There are benefits and disadvantages to both systems so we are trying to see what works best for the Editor Community. This is not a majority vote to select the MAR platform. Personal preference will be a consideration that is accounted in the decision. Other considerations such as whether all the other regions shift will also be considered.
There are pros and cons to every chat platform out there. The most important advantage, in my opinion, is picking a single platform for the whole country. Discord appears, at this point, to be our best chance of doing that. All 11 regions have created a Discord server + we have a Waze USA server and a Mapraid and Global server. All of the regions that were using Slack have already shutdown their Slack channels and made the switch. Most, if not all, of the regions on GHO are either switched or actively working towards it. I highly encourage all (MAR) editors to "make the shift".

This is by no means a mandate; rather it is a recognition of what is already happening. We can either "make the shift" or be left behind (and isolated). I'd really not like to see MAR left behind.

As of now we have the 4 state GHO's synced to the equivalent Discord server channels. Intent is to keep that sync open as long as possible/necessary, but we can make no guarantees on how long it will be possible.
stephenr1966
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message