Discussion for the unofficial, community-developed addons, extensions and scripts built for the Waze Map Editor.

The official index of these tools is the Community Plugins, Extensions and Tools wiki page.
Post by KB_Steveo
Poncewattle wrote:If I attach a temporary road segment to the end node when it's flagged, it then lights up as a u-turn permitted. I then delete the temporary segment, drag that end node a bit (like I would if resizing a cul-de-sac end point) and then it changes from yellow to purple. I then attach another temporary road to the end and now the u-turn is showing up as prohibited. So just dragging the node around had the side-effect of changing the behavior of the u-turn permission. So something is changing that u-turn as a side-effect of me moving the end node whether I intend to do so or not. :(
If you have the road selected (with A & B showing up at the end nodes) and move the A (or B) end, you are not really moving a node this way, you are just moving the end of the segment. When you do this, WME automatically creates a brand new, unconfirmed end node on the segment (with no U-turn). (It used to not do that, and that's why you sometimes see roads that are not terminated - and it was a pain to fix ;) )

If you grab the actual end node (without the A or B showing), you will be moving the node with the U-turn (and the road segment follows) and the road should still be highlighted in yellow.

Does it sound like that's what's happening?
KB_Steveo
Send a message
images/ranks/BetaTester_Badge.png[img]https:///nRpy81[/img]
WI State Manager
NE Wisconsin Area Manager (Green Bay / Appleton / Sturgeon Bay)
Wisconsin mapping resources curator

Post by KB_Steveo
Any word on the non-highlighting of freeways with lock level "automatic (1)"?

I noticed they are still not highlighted on the latest release
KB_Steveo
Send a message
WI State Manager

Post by KB_Steveo
Is it possible for WME Validator to leave newly created roundabouts as one way roads? I had "WME: 2 way segments by default" checked and it was making 2 way roundabouts.
KB_Steveo
Send a message
WI State Manager

Post by KB_Steveo
taco909 wrote:Validator does seem to be functioning inasmuch as it is highlighting the segments.
I'm seeing thick, bright red roads, and I'm seeing yellow highlights on segment pairs that share the same endpoints.
What browser are you using? There are no highlights happening in Chrome.
KB_Steveo
Send a message
WI State Manager

Post by KB_Steveo
If only it was coded to use a tab like most other addons that are in the user pane.

I think that's been mentioned before. not sure though :lol: :roll:
KB_Steveo
Send a message
WI State Manager

Post by kentsmith9
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:
TonyTorrent wrote:Emmons Circle is the horseshoe with both ends connecting to Wolcott Hill Street.
Emmons Circle needs to be split into two segments. No two segments should have the same end points. It causes all sorts of routing problems, and misidentification of the actual route requested on URs, etc. It also causes issues with inability to locate the correct location when starting on that type of road.

This has been well documented in a few different forum discussions, which the Validator author provided links to earlier in this thread.
There may be some confusion between the different types of "same connections". Let me clarify:
  • Loop Roads: One Segment. End-nodes A and B connect to themselves. Routing issues identified and fixes exist in many scripts. Covered in Wiki
  • Routing to Same Segment: One Segment. I found a strange routing problem when you start and end navigation on the same single segment. I fully documented it in the forums under Same Segment Routing Problems.
  • Parallel Segments: Two Segments. Also called Horseshoe Roads. This situation is like two resistors in parallel. The end nodes A of both segments connect together and the end nodes B of both segments connect together. A real example is here. I also posed this question in the forum under "Same Connections" cause routing issues?
berestovskyy wrote:34. Same endpoints drivable segments
What is the problem? Two drivable segments share the same two endpoints: forum reference
How to fix? Split the segment. You might also remove one of the segments if they are identical: instructions
Severity: warning
Countries: any country
This entry is referring to the Parallel Segments/Horseshoe Rd example. The forum reference for 34 actually links to my forum entry that was asking anyone to actually confirm there are problems with this configuration in routing, but there was nothing conclusive. I did point out the other problem with routing to the same segment in that thread, so maybe people got confused what was actually a problem. There were comments this was a known issue with Cartouche, but not necessarily the current WME.

Today I sent a message to the Waze team on that specific issue. I will report back what they say relative to this issue. If anyone has any current routing issues they know about or can find any forum threads showing this is still a problem then let us know and we can add it to the Wiki best practices.

If there are no routing issues that we can still find today I realize this particular warning will help identify segments that lay on top of each other, but these Horseshoe roads are so widespread in suburban neighborhoods I think it will invite unnecessary editing to add a junction. Also if we do leave this in we need to be sure the "remove unnecessary junction nodes" option does suggest removing them. LOL
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
berestovskyy wrote:Thanks!
Let me know when you get an answer.

IMO for the Parallel Segments we can create more precise and reliable check, so I'll disable 'Same endpoints drivable segments' for now.
Sounds good. In the mean time I still think the stacked segments issue is a good one to solve mainly for properly setting restrictions. When I first started in Waze I did not read the instructions :oops: and created a bunch of stacked segments by mistake. Then I didn't realize I had turn restrictions on both segments that were conflicting and causing problems, but I did not know the roads had been stacked on top of each other.

Is there a way to detect the geometry for two parallel segments are essentially the same shape? Maybe we only need to find those with no geometry nodes because they are easy to create by accident and easy to be hidden. Segments with many geo nodes would unlikely be matched perfectly with another road.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:There are definitely threads about issues with routing related to segments which shared the same endpoints. And this has nothing to do with Cartouche, as it doesn't do routing, so why is that even relevant to the discussion? The issue with the routing server has existed since the days of Cartouche. I doubt Waze will officially have much to say about it because they've never properly responded to the threads displaying the issue.

Don't forget this is also the reason why WME does not allow the starting junction to split a segment if the end junction is on the same segment. It's been built into WME since the very beginning to dissuade this type of loop from being created.