Post by dmcrandall
jaywazin wrote:Everything easterly to huntington mostly done except these segments which are still locked to 5.
Done.
dmcrandall
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message
"This ain't Dodge City, and you ain't Bill Hickok." -Matthew Quigley

US Country Manager (In between deliveries)

Post by dmcrandall
mudge42 wrote:OK, as a matter of curiosity:

1) why does this segment have an elevation of 1 (vs. Ground)? Looks strange on the Live Map: https://www.waze.com/editor/?env=usa&lo ... s=78957649
An anomoly in the editor. There are a lot of these issues. We just need to fix them as we find them.
2) road remains unsplit at intersections along Cochituate Road? Prevents other issues?
Is this what you're referring to?
https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/Bowtie#Bow_tie
dmcrandall
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by dmcrandall
It can occasionally cause issues with routing, but the positives far outweigh the potential issues.
dmcrandall
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by grsing
Just wanted to bring this up again, we keep getting a lot of increasingly frustrated reports of Route 9 turning issues. I assume we could solve this with a lot of carefully edited turn restrictions? Since the whole thing is locked at 5 (reasoning understood), this would need a fair amount of senior attention, but it seems like we're going to be turning off users if they can't reliably navigate this major road.
grsing
Send a message

Post by grsing
There are definitely some who are willing to help; I got some very good assistance sorting out some of the Boston tunnels from an L5. But this area seems to be a wasteland, and there are so many issues with it that it'd be exhausting to get L5 help every time a report comes up. Sockslabs, I think I'll go with your solution and just leave them be, since there's nothing I can do to fix them.
grsing
Send a message

Post by hermioneGrangerWeasley
Well I will just reiterate again that you cannot make a left turn here. The road is divided by Jersey barriers at this spot. So you have to go the traffic light at South Street and Route 9 and make a U-turn.
hermioneGrangerWeasley
Send a message

Post by jasonm128
A word of warning...this response is probably going to turn into a rant.

This is a very old problem which the Waze developers have decided to ignore. I read some of the update requests and the users are correct; there is a fundamental flaw in the Waze infrastructure but the developers don't give a s**t. The routing server has never paid attention to the side of the road a particular destination is on. Years ago, we used to have the ability to mark roads as "divided" exactly as you describe but the routing server ignored this attribute. People were frustrated that a road was marked as divided but Waze took them to the wrong side. Did Waze choose to fix the routing server to use this info that had been added to thousands of miles of roads? No, they decided to "fix" the inconsistency by getting rid of the "divided" attribute. Unfortunately, this did nothing to fix the actual routing problem. They just don't care.

I don't think there's any way to handle this kind of road properly given the tools we have. We should probably make sure the U-turn points are properly mapped and tell the users to re-navigate to their destination after they have passed it on the wrong side of the road. Frankly, I think most users are smart enough to realize what is happening and just make the next U-turn without complaining about it.
jasonm128
Send a message
Area Manager : NW Suburbs of Boston, MA
HTC Droid DNA - Android 4.4.2 - Verizon
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/5/5a/W ... M_only.png

Post by jaywazin
Sorry in advance or belated if I closed some of these really old reports that you were intentionally leaving open, before I actually read this thread where you were intentionally leaving them open.

However, while doing this I've also found several URs which were actually not related to this bug/feature and masked because of all the UR flags and in some cases simply because it was assumed everything on Worcester st is related to the same issue. Certainly the "arrived at your destination on your left" is going to be an ongoing problem but we need to be able to differentiate them from unrelated UR's and all the red bubbles all over map makes this more difficult.

Since we (map editors) are the only ones who care about this (given that there seems to be no effort to improve this situation from higher up) and it's affecting our ability to maintain the remainder of the map, I don't think it's not benefiting anybody to leave these all open.

I personally think we should just communicate to the reporter that this is unfixable (as many have done) and close because it inhibits editing of the remainder of this particular region. Anyway I'll stop for now but that's MHO as an on-again, off-again editor.
jaywazin
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs
Send a message

Post by jaywazin
To the best of my knowledge, the Champs are really the only ones who have access to developers. Given that the second post of this thread was by a semi-local champ, I usually take the philosophy and assumption (right or wrong) that as long as a champ has commented on the issue it's the closest we'll get to having developers know about the issue. Of course you can PM the champs active on the forums to check if it was formally submitted (I believe that they have a super-secret list somewhere of things which have been requested from developers) but as you know the Champs are also volunteers and don't have strong sway on the priorities of the developers themselves.

I have enough experience dealing with software vendors and developers that I know that even if I'm a paying client, and even with a vendor who listens to you and is trying to get your business, it can be months to years between acknowledgement of a problem to a resolution. I just can't get frustrated about this type of issues on Waze (or anything other Waze-related issue for that matter), because I'm not being paid to Waze, and I'm not paying to Waze, I'm just doing it for the benefit of seeing my routing get better or more reliable.

. . .as you can probably tell by my response in regarding the Central Artery Tunnel!
jaywazin
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs
Send a message

Post by jaywazin
If we're going to start dividing, I'd say that Route 9 all the way into Boston (such as here and here), as well as it's continuation as Huntington Ave within Boston, would likely also need to be lowered and split. There's also been a few of things broken on Huntington which nobody's been able to (easily) fix since it's all locked L5.

Basically all of Rt-9 as I know it is divided by an uncrossable median with businesses on both sides requiring U-turns of the jug-handle or the underpass type and therefore basically meets the criteria for division.

I can certainly deal with the splitting all the way from Boston through I-95 since I drive that way frequently and am quite familiar with that segment, and am also willing to work on it up to the point where I lose editing rights in Southbridge.
jaywazin
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs
Send a message