Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
Post by russblau
The main benefit is where HOV starts at 4 pm and a user's route takes them by the HOV entrance at 3:50. If the exits are restricted, Waze will know to get them off before 4:00.
russblau
State Manager
State Manager
Answers: 1
Send a message

Post by russblau
PesachZ wrote:
russblau wrote:The main benefit is where HOV starts at 4 pm and a user's route takes them by the HOV entrance at 3:50. If the exits are restricted, Waze will know to get them off before 4:00.
If main benefit is only applicable on HOV lanes with are time restricted, perhaps we should implement a modified version of this guidance.
Restrict the exit segments as well IF any portion of this HOV lane is only in effect at certain times. If it is a 24/7 HOV lane, only restrict the entrance segments
That makes sense to me.

In response to Sketch, at least in Virginia, there are signs prominently posted along the HOV lanes that say "HOV enforcement starts at X:XX". State Police have made it clear that if you enter the lane close to the start of the HOV period, it is your responsibility to make sure you exit in time. Personally, I don't ever use these lanes close to the beginnings of the HOV periods, but I do sometimes enter them right after the end (in fact, I sometimes time my departure to or from work to allow me to do this), and I have indeed seen police on more than one occasion waiting by the entrance and ticketing anyone who tries to enter one minute before the end of the HOV period.
russblau
State Manager
State Manager
Send a message

Post by russblau
PhantomSoul wrote:Shouldn't the other fork, at each possible exit to the HOV lanes, which stays in the HOV lanes actually have a little way-finder segment that blocks all non-HOV vehicles during times when such restrictions are in effect? This way if a non-HOV vehicle is in the lane when the clock strikes 4:00 (for example), the directions are pretty much guaranteed to tell you to exit out of the HOV lanes at the next possible opportunity.
That defeats the whole purpose, which is to allow Waze to provide useful directions to HOV drivers who legally enter the HOV lanes and then rely on navigation from that point.

Just to be clear, this whole thing is a "workaround" for the lack of vehicle type settings in Waze. When that is implemented, "soon," we won't need to worry about restricting entrances and/or exits, and instead can just set the HOV facility as restricted to the appropriate HOV class.
russblau
State Manager
State Manager
Send a message

Post by russblau
CBenson wrote:Motorcycles are permitted to use the HOV lanes around here, but that may not be universal. But around DC (i.e. in Maryland and Virginia) the motorcycle box should be left unchecked as well.

I'm never quite sure whether taxis or buses are intended for riders or drivers (or maybe both). It will be interesting to see whether the client allows multiple choices or whether you can only be a taxi or HOV-2.
If I recall correctly, the rule that motorcycles are permitted in HOV lanes is mandated by USDOT, so it should apply nationwide. (Outside the US, of course, is a different story.)

The Virginia DOT rules permit taxis with passengers in the HOV lanes; of course, for I-66 (HOV-2) that is a moot point, but it does make a difference on I-395/95 (HOV-3), where a taxi with a driver and a single passenger would be permitted. They also permit "Buses designed to transport sixteen or more passengers, including the driver," which suggests that even if the bus is empty (except for the driver) it is still allowed. I would guess that other states may do it differently.
russblau
State Manager
State Manager
Send a message

Post by sketch
kentsmith9 wrote:I agree with qwaletee's overall proposal with one exception on mapping them or not. At some point in the past I was told that the snap to tracking is for visual reference, but the routing server is tracking the actual location of the vehicle relative to speed information. Therefore when a driver is in the HOT/HOV lane, even if Waze shows them in the std. freeway lane, the fast moving driver is not altering the freeway speed data. Have we confirmed or disproved that information?
That is correct. The merger process compares your GPS trace directly to the segments on the map, with no regard for the route Waze gave you or the segments Waze snapped you to.

GPS resolution is generally good enough to show roughly which lane you were in. Yes, there will be occasional GPS errors and drift, but in general (at least with my phone in my car) it's pretty precise.

Look at your drives in the Drives tab if you wanna check it out. Turn the roads layer off and follow the green line along the satellite imagery. It may look a little off or jagged around turns but that's only because Waze only takes note of your location once per second. Also – the trace turns red when merger was unable to find a road or possible connection for whatever it is you actually did.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
ALL US EDITORS READ: New USA road type guidance
the guidance linked above is now almost a decade old, but the link gives me a laugh every time i see it, so it stays (:
assistant regional coordinator • south central region • usa
waze global champ • beta leader • and more • new orleans

bye bye fuelly badge! i'm an EV guy now!

Post by sketch
khaytsus wrote:Would it be possible to clarify in the wiki precisely what happens when starting a route that goes through a TBR prior to the TBR starting?

Example.. TBR from 6:30 to 8:00 am and the users route goes through the TBR. If he starts his commute at 8:00, it would certainly route through the TBR as it's not restricted at that time, but if he starts his route at 7:59 and would arrive at the TBR location at 8:10 what is the behavior?

My expectation is the routing engine gives him a route that routes around the TBR and unless for some reason he receives new routing information (deviates from path, traffic, etc) he'll be routed around the TBR, even though he will be driving through it after 8:00am.

Thanks!
This is not the case. It has been confirmed by staff and in testing that TBRs are judged not by the time the route is started, but by the time you are expected to get to that particular TBR.

The benefits are obvious; the drawback is that, in threshold cases, you may be routed through one if it expected you to get to the turn at 8:01 but you actually got there at 7:59. That's not even really a drawback, though, compared to the other case (which would hypothetically route you through a restriction if your route started before it began).
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
the guidance linked above is now almost a decade old, but the link gives me a laugh every time i see it, so it stays (:

Post by sketch
qwaletee wrote:CBenson,

>> We used to use PLR to dissallow them. Now we can restrict them to only HOV vehicles which also disallow them

That's predicated on the HOV restriction setting having an effect on routing. That is not true today, so it is effectively "restriction free." Certainly, we should indicate correct HOV restrictions where we have them, just like we should be putting in truck restrictions. They're for the future app that supports those settings. The same applies to your last remark.
As CBenson said – but to keep it brief – while the other vehicle types don't do anything, the "Private Vehicles" restriction does work. So no matter what we allow thru – be it HOV, bus, or truck – if we restrict Private Vehicles, Waze won't use it. This is why we can use vehicle type restrictions today not only for data collection but also for restrictions of private vehicles in cases such as this. Then we don't have to change anything when the day comes.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
russblau wrote: Note that if this method is used, it is crucial that all exits be restricted correctly; if one is missed, Waze will route everyone on the HOV facility to that unrestricted exit segment.

We might want to add this to the Wiki page.
For security, it may be wise to set both segment restrictions and turn restrictions on all HOV lane entrance ramps.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
Would a timed HOV like that force you to get off at 4 wherever you are? I would imagine that they only close the entrances at 4 so the lane can clear out by whatever time it takes for traffic to clear it.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
CBenson wrote:There is not necessarily any clearing out. Sometime the lanes are just going from open to all to HOV restricted. If you are non-HOV compliant you can be on the lanes up until the cutoff time but can be ticketed after that time.

For some reason the VA police seem to like to monitor the exits rather than the entrances. I don't know if this still goes on, but it meant that if the HOV restrictions ended at 6:30 you could get on a little early as long as you didn't get off before 6:30. I've heard first hand that you could cut it too close.
Understood (and thanks to you too, Russ). I was thinking of the one and only HOV lane in New Orleans (and I think in Louisiana), which is reversible, and either HOV or entirely closed.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message