Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
Post by sketch
I think I do like the idea of putting the time restrictions on the exits as well, just because it makes Waze a little bit smarter, a little bit more helpful. There is an equal "risk" of missing one entrance restriction, and that'd be just as bad as missing an exit restriction. As a philosophical matter, we shouldn't be creating rules around possible mistakes.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
ALL US EDITORS READ: New USA road type guidance
the guidance linked above is now almost a decade old, but the link gives me a laugh every time i see it, so it stays (:
assistant regional coordinator • south central region • usa
waze global champ • beta leader • and more • new orleans

bye bye fuelly badge! i'm an EV guy now!

Post by sketch
PhantomSoul wrote:For timed restrictions, I really do think we need to cover ourselves against the situation where a lone driver is navigated into an HOV lane at 3:55 when enforcement starts at 4:00 and is not navigated to the first exit out as soon as the clock hits 4:00.

I'm still not sure I understand how this is going to happen (assuming I have just passenger car selected in the Waze client, as is currently hard-coded) if we effectively impose an even exit restriction at all possible exits, including the one at the end where the HOV lane ends. Wouldn't Waze just pick the path with the fastest traffic speed since all possible exits from the HOV lane have the same penalty regardless of what you're driving?
Well, to start, no one will be navigated into an HOV lane at all because of restrictions. A driver would have to enter the HOV on their own accord, and then sleep/wake or relaunch to force Waze to realize they're in the HOV. So if they enter at 3:55 and there aren't any exits within 5 minutes, it's on them.

If they enter at 3:55 on their own accord and there are, say, 4 exits ahead, one they'd get to at 3:57, one at 3:58, one at 4:02, and one at 4:06, there would be a high penalty on the 4:02 and 4:06 exits, so neither would be taken. The other exits wouldn't have a penalty, so they would be used.

Waze is "smart" about time restrictions, in that it calculates the time you are expected to get to that segment (or turn) when determining whether or not the restriction is in effect.
qwaletee wrote:One additional wrinkle about the start of enforcement times. A car which meets HOV requirements that gets routed (purposely or by override) onto the HOV during the permissive period may be told to leave the HOV prematurely to avoid crossing the (restricted) exit prior to the enforcement period.

We thus have to choose between restricting exits for the positives and leaving them unrestricted to avoid the negatives

If implemented:

Positives I am aware of:
* for mixed-use HOV lanes, can route non-HOV drivers off at the beginning f a restricted time period
* if non-HOV routes get very expensive for some reason e.g., traffic jams (likely given the fact that DOT decided to provide an HOV there!), the additional penalty adds safety to prevent HOV routing
* smarter routing (per sketch -- not sure what this is, may merely refer to some of the other bullets here)
* other benefits of additional penalty?

Negatives:
* Will lead legitimate HOV drivers off the HOV prematurely if they are driving it close to the start of a restricted period
* If incorrectly implemented (never happens, right?), can lead to some really weird routing/bottlenecking

If exits are not implemented
Positives:
* Legitimate HOV drivers will not be lead off prematurely during a transition period
* More forgiving of editor error in setting up partial restrictions systematically

Negatives:
* Non-HOV drivers who enter legally but close to the start of restrictions will not be warned to exit (a bit of nannying)
* If non-HOV routes become very expensive, single penalty may not be enough to avoid Waze rerouting onto HOV while double penalty may prevent it

Are there any other negatives/positives on the HOV exit restrictions? Also, has anyone actually tested routing with the double penalty or with full HOV restricted (i.e., definitely tested whether it actually routes off drivers who have decided to route on)?
Since HOV is not supported currently, we need to design the map for non-HOV drivers wherever there is a distinction between the two. So, when making these judgments, we should assume that every car is non-HOV, and allow Waze to properly guide drivers of non-HOV vehicles who are driving in soon-to-be-HOV lanes. With that in mind, the answer must be yes to exit restrictions.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
the guidance linked above is now almost a decade old, but the link gives me a laugh every time i see it, so it stays (:

Post by sketch
Oh, duh, I wasn't thinking. Anyway, the rest of my explanation still applies ;)
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
Yes. See, e.g., the last sentence of my penultimate post.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
I support this decision and also whatever it was I supported on the previous page or two.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
CBenson wrote:
PesachZ wrote:I can agree with 5 minutes if we can rely on the server to update often enough to account for delays. I believe it is more important in the case of reversible lanes so we don't accidentally send someone the wrong way down a freeway.
Makes sense to me. I agree that not routing a few people within a few minutes of reversible lanes opening is much preferable to routing anyone on reversible lanes while they remain closed.
I will also agree on a five minute maximum for this. I suppose the same could be applied to time-based turn or segment restrictions, but I don't know.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
These are all really good ideas. I wish Waze would give more attention to this feature.

It'd also be nice to be able to add a restriction on a temporary basis, using a road-closure-like functionality (I get a lot of emails from LaDOTD about lane closures where traffic is allowed, but no loads over 12 ft wide). Although, Waze isn't really what oversized loads should be relying on :D

If this is implemented, though, we'd have to have a lot of heads-up, and probably an import of data from another source – because one missed height restriction can mean big trouble.

Anyway, this thread is for how to handle the guidance for the current system, and not a request thread that Waze might listen to or monitor.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
eaglejm7 wrote:It seems that time based restrictions on a private road do not work. My son's school has a road that is private (non-school days it is blocked by gates at both ends), but during school days it is completely closed for an hour in the morning and 40 minutes in the afternoon. In the afternoon, there is a further 2 hours of one way for extended carpool. Since it is gated, it is marked as private. When navigating to a point on that street, the time based direction restrictions appear to be ignored as it keeps routing me the wrong way on the street. When I approach from the other direction (as I always do), it allows routing along the street that way as well.
It is known that a segment restriction will not function for a single segment when you have your destination on that segment. The penalty is assessed at the end of the segment, not the start. Use a time-based turn restriction in addition to the segment restriction in order to make it work.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
The beard doesn't match the hair, but that's sorta true for my own beard as well. :D
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
PesachZ wrote:What shield

Sent using Tapatalk for Android 4.4.2
The forum badge. You won't see it on Tapatalk
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message