Spotlight Indiana

Post by MeridianHills
Hello all, for those who may not know yet I'm the new Indiana State Manager 8-) I wanted to launch my first initiative as ISM. For those of us who regularly edit, primarily the majority of us will spend the most of our time editing in urban areas. It's just a Wazical factor of Waze, proportionally/ statistically their are more Wazers in urban areas, therefor increased likely hood to be working more in urban areas verses rural areas. Yes our urban Wazers and issues associated with urban areas are important but they are equally important as our rural wazers, and most of us here when given the opportunity will show some of our rural Wazers some love. When a uninformed Wazer in an urban area gets an error or bad routing in most cases the re-route or address pin is off by not very much. In rural areas these types of issues can lead an uninformed Wazer to be routed several miles away when the error is small and easy to fix.

My initiative that I am launching is "Spotlight Indiana" the main objective of the spotlight is to put small/rural towns and areas more in the Waze spotlight and have a group of editors tackle issues/reports as they come across them, as well as taking proactive actions and adding new things into the local map that aren't list like gas stations, schools, police stations, parks, etc..

My goal is to weekly post a handful of rural towns/areas across the state that could benefit from some time under the spotlight. All Editors / Area Managers with editing capabilities in said areas are more than welcome to join in on the effort when available. Also anyone is welcome to submit areas they would like to see improved to myself for posting. This effort is a localized version of MapRaid in a way and can help those who are wanting to join in on the nationally sponsored Mapraids get the knowledge and experience of what it takes to participate in one. As well as preparing an editor or Area Manager for being able to take on the role as an Area Manager for the first time or increasing your Area Managing scope.

First 5 areas for improvement:

Fowler, Indiana
Tell City, Indiana
Hope, Indiana
Manson / Colfax area, Indiana
Butler, Indiana

Looking forward to working with everyone in these areas! ;)
MeridianHills
Map Raider
Map Raider

POSTER_ID:16845063

Send a message

Post by GadgetJ
TerryPurdue wrote:... identify editors who happen to be located in rural parts of the state. Once you've got that list, contact them and ask them if they'd like such a spotlight.
As a current R2, I was very fortunate to have someone contact me early in my "mistake making days" and offer support. (Thanks Bruce!) I try to pay that favor forward anytime I see a new editor. I offer that we use the 4K-5K edits threshold to reach out to an editor for a Spotlight. It is a balance between dabbling in editing and showing commitment to sticking around. Does the SM have access to such edit progress data? It's is a long stretch of editing between 1K (R2) and 25K (R3), and this extra boost of community would be well timed for momentum.

TerryPurdue wrote:With sufficient warning, the spotlight effort could easily result in people making drives from quite some distance away to open up area so they can participate.
+1. I fully agree.
GadgetJ
Send a message
Jeremy - GadgetJ - Work hard, WAZE harder

Post by MeridianHills
roadtechie wrote:Great Idea! The rural areas seem to always get neglected due to bigger issues in the city. My only question is how will very many editors be able to participate. Unless you are going to give temp AM status to people that want to join in?

Trying to get temp AM status can only work for those who are R3 and above. For R2s and R1s they will more than likely only be able to help if they have driven through the time periods selected towns. My goal is to mainly help R2s and R1s and provide them with the knowledge and guidance and strength to succeed in Waze and eventually become an Area Manager or extend their Area Managing scope. Each featured time period ( most likely a week) will feature different towns from different parts of the state.
MeridianHills
Map Raider
Map Raider
Send a message

Post by MeridianHills
TerryPurdue wrote:Just a thought: consider coming at the issue from the opposite direction.

By that I'm thinking you could identify editors who happen to be located in rural parts of the state. Once you've got that list, contact them and ask them if they'd like such a spotlight. Based on responses, you can then publish a schedule that gives a block of time to each editor who wants to participate.

I feel this approach benefits both rural portions of the map AND rural editors, who have likely been working in isolation for some time. Picking areas just based on geography may only benefit the map, bypassing a chance to help editors at the same time "for free."

In other words: shift the focus from the map to the editors.

Worth what you paid for it. :)

(Edit) Regardless of where the spotlight falls, I would definitely make sure to advertise/publish the schedule with at least a couple weeks' warning. Speaking for myself, when I was as an R1/R2, if I knew that the payoff for investing a few hours on a Saturday driving around a rural portion of the state was a week of shoulder-to-shoulder editing/mentoring with a State Manager, I'd have been all over that. With sufficient warning, the spotlight effort could easily result in people making drives from quite some distance away to open up area so they can participate.

-Terry

I like your input, I hadn't considered that at all. As I get more comfortable with my new role the tools, knowledge, and wisdom will flow more effectively and I will be better enabled at conveying ideas and guidelines and the like. I love that idea ;)
MeridianHills
Map Raider
Map Raider
Send a message

Post by MeridianHills
Currently, Waze doesn't publish lists of just editors, so I'll be getting creative early tomorrow morning and compiling the list of all time, and weekly top Wazers. Then send out messages and get the spotlight rolling in action from there.
MeridianHills
Map Raider
Map Raider
Send a message

Post by MeridianHills
xanderb wrote:When do we start?!

Tuesday evening, 19:00 Eastern Time
MeridianHills
Map Raider
Map Raider
Send a message

Post by MeridianHills
First night of the initiative turned out to be a great success!
MeridianHills
Map Raider
Map Raider
Send a message

Post by MeridianHills
LaGrange, Orleans, and Dale Indiana are so far up for spotlightin' for the next rural raid. Looking to add 2-3 more towns before announcing the start of the next raid next week.
MeridianHills
Map Raider
Map Raider
Send a message

Post by MeridianHills
Indiana Spotlight Rural Raid #2

Cities:

LaGrange

Orleans

Dale

Lynn

( one more city to be added by Saturday)
Start Time: Sunday Evening

Duration: probably 3-5 days.

Anyone interested in joining in and working/collaborating with a great crew of editors, PM me
MeridianHills
Map Raider
Map Raider
Send a message