Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
Post by qwaletee
CBenson wrote:Do we need to define at-grade connector? Specifically are roads at different grades required to meet the definition of "freeway" and "ramp." This comes up for roads like this. In this case there are no intersections that permit traffic to cross US-50. US-50 has an unbroken median. This combined with the fact that there are only limited access point to US-50 - that is the businesses do not have driveways that are directly served by US-50, makes me think this is a freeway. However, Duke St, Thomson Creek Rd, Castle Marina Rd, Cox Neck Rd, Dominion Rd, Chester Station Ln, Piney Creek Rd, S Piney Rd, Dundee Ave, Main St, Piney Narrows Rd etc all provide access to US-50 at junctions where there is no grade separation, because there is simply no access provided from one side of US-50 to other on these roads. There are BGSs at these exits on US-50 just like at the grade-separated interchanges.

So in the freeway definition it is stated that there should be "no at-grade intersections." I think that US-50 in this stretch meets the requirement for no at-grade intersections and the exit and entrance roads are not at-grade connectors and are thus properly ramps. However, given the current guidance and the proposed guidance if you interpret these access points "at-grade" then the US-50 would be a major highway and the exits and entrances should not be ramps.

I would state that if you can't cross the highway without either passing over or under the highway then all exits and entrances with acceleration and deceleration lanes along that highway should be considered "grade-separated."
Well, since the FC juggernaut seems to be rolling merrily along, what is its functional classification?
qwaletee
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
US Champ / Country Manager | State Manager NY, NJ, PA, CT, MA, RI, VT, ME, NH | Northeast ARC | Mentor | Responding to Map Issues

Post by qwaletee
Gentlemen and ladies: remember, this is somewhat of a tempest in a teapot. We're trying to rigorously define something that anyone with expertise can immediately recognize. Only such people would have the rank to edit freeways and major highways anyway. Therefore, we are best off with KISS -- make it short, and allow exceptions by senior editors. If the champs get into a fight over a particular road, they'll work it out among themselves.
qwaletee
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
US Champ / Country Manager | State Manager NY, NJ, PA, CT, MA, RI, VT, ME, NH | Northeast ARC | Mentor | Responding to Map Issues

Post by qwaletee
kentsmith9 wrote: A Style Guide can still easily exist as a collection of subpages. In true Wiki format, pages should really be less than 5 screens of data and some people say 2 or less.
Meh. Someone stole that from a code programming style guide, and it was never really true. In fact, WP MOS says not to artificially break something up like that. However, in a very long article, there's usually a few discrete areas to be found that can be broken up in summary style.
qwaletee
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by qwaletee
dbraughlr wrote:Is there any chance that Waze would give us a "connector" road type that is the street equivalent of a highway ramp?
Service road could be converted for this use.
Service Roads are still in use. Tons of segments. I don't know if it could be easily repurposed.

There needs to be a compelling reason to have another type that functions similarly to ramps. If there is actually a difference in the way we want them display, spoken, or routed through, then let's create a new type, perhaps "Connector," instead of forcing Service Road into this, ah, service.

If there's no difference in function (and none anticipated), then we should just expand the definition of ramps to cover this use case. I haven't yet seen a rationale for why we can't use ramps for regular street connectors -- what harm would it do? I'm not being sarcastic, I would just like to see this articulated.
qwaletee
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by qwaletee
You're making assumptions without basis. We've never found out conclusively that ramps ever have a transition penalty factor. First let's get that truly established by the development before we build on it.

Further, even if proven true, the effort to "convert" existing service roads is probably higher effort and contains greater risk than simply creating a new type, or reprogramming the penalty associated with ramps. There's already code to treat unnamed ramps as if they were named with the same name as the next named segment on the route. The same code can be adapted to having ramps, for penalty purposes, treated as if they were the next non-ramp segment of the route, in which case, there would be zero penalty issue. (Or, vice versa, treat ramps as if they have the same road type as whatever th preceding segment was. Same effect.)
qwaletee
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by qwaletee
CBenson wrote:
qwaletee wrote:There's already code to treat unnamed ramps as if they were named with the same name as the next named segment on the route.
This isn't a ramp property. This is true of any segment, isn't it?
Yes, it is a function of being unnamed, though the most common application is ramps. (Ignoring private/parking lot roads.) That doesn't affect the point being made, though.
qwaletee
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by qwaletee
daknife wrote:Ahh, I took it as otherwise, I think I interpreted it s saying, "well here it is a MH, that is the difference." In retrospect, I guess I was expecting to be put in my place and was looking (at least subconciously) for an argument, rather than agreement. Anyway, no biggie, I see what you meant now and good point on road type variations (at least within the Hwy types) should not disrupt routing if the name/number is consistent. But with 89 it does tend to lose continuity at each town, as it briefly takes on a local name (Main, or State street in nearly every town in Utah it runs through, sometimes only for a few blocks, but also through the length of the major population area of the State, where it is State St through Salt Lake county and city).

Tonight I made 89T all MH, the scenic alt should in my opinion remain a minor as do US BUS alternates.

Tapatalking via my Galaxy S4
I know a good therapist :)
qwaletee
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by qwaletee
banished wrote:Implications for this discussion...?

viewtopic.php?f=338&t=87995&p=746349#p746349
May I request than any links to a closed forum also include an excerpted quote?
qwaletee
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by qwaletee
Cool off time. Suggest staying off the thread for a day. Everything will be cool (then).

And if you don't like the suggestion, just forget I made it. I'm not here to referee or to get caught up either, I'm just suggesting that you guys each have a point of view, and you're both getting very caught up in demonstrating that viewpoint to your, erm, sparring partner. Taking a break might make it easier to work together.
qwaletee
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by qwaletee
Just a quick note on what has been going on here recently. "Experiment" is not a pejorative. In factm in science, it is one of our important tools for advancement.

In fact, I would call the current FC implementation an experiment. We are still finding out new things about it every week.
qwaletee
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message