Post by qwaletee
I thought reason originally made for mapping the turnarounds was to prevent pollution, and the no connection was to prevent routing onto them in extreme traffic.
qwaletee
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
US Champ / Country Manager | State Manager NY, NJ, PA, CT, MA, RI, VT, ME, NH | Northeast ARC | Mentor | Responding to Map Issues

Post by qwaletee
dbraughlr wrote:
bart99gt wrote:I never draw in the "Emergency Vehicle Only" crossovers (paved or unpaved) on limited access roads. Since a typical driver can't legally use it under normal circumstances, there's little point to even have them there.
Can anyone speak to what policy exists for crossovers which are legal and useful?
Why wouldn't that be mapped like any other AGC? Well, maybe a a dirt road freeway :)
qwaletee
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
US Champ / Country Manager | State Manager NY, NJ, PA, CT, MA, RI, VT, ME, NH | Northeast ARC | Mentor | Responding to Map Issues

Post by qwaletee
That wasn't really an answer, was it?
qwaletee
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by qwaletee
Pretty much what I said - why not map like any other AGC?
qwaletee
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by qwaletee
sketch wrote:
qwaletee wrote:
dbraughlr wrote: Can anyone speak to what policy exists for crossovers which are legal and useful?
Why wouldn't that be mapped like any other AGC? Well, maybe a a dirt road freeway :)
*snip* There are two reasons for this: (1) except in an MUTI or RCUT, median U turns are only used to get from a start point or to a destination when the route goes the other way on a divided roadway*snip* .
I don't quite get this. Did you mean to say that only MUTI and RCUT are designed to supply a route directly to a different road on the other side? Because any type of U-turn potentially provides indirect access to roads that are connected to the other side of a dual carriageway, so long as it is a "U-turn" that Waze can make. That includes median U-turns (box intersections that don't qualify for any of the special handling rules, MUTI, RCUT, crossover) or non-median (jughandles, traffic circles).

Re: the "dirt road" above, there actually is one. You can make it out in Sat, and once you know it is there, you can even make it out a bit in GSV. The growth at the side of the road masks it, but you can see the strip if you look past that.
qwaletee
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by qwaletee
I suppose. I've seen exceptions - long stretch between through intersections on a divided highway, but I suppose for exceptions, we would have to upgrade whatever U-turn mechanism was being used.
qwaletee
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by qwaletee
Says the guy running L&S.

I think I'll mosey on over to the suggestion box and make a feature request for vehicle/road type restrictions of "emergency vehicles." That will allow Eric to use Waze in his rig. Have fun though when your destination is an accident scene, I don't think Waze will help much.
qwaletee
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by qwaletee
DB,

I looked it over, and that's not quite true. You can easily run between north and south sides of town, as there are several streets that have bridges for the Interstate. I do agree that if you hit the Interstate and realize you forgot to turn off the oven, you would have a long "detour" to get back home without the turnaround. But do you really need Waze routing for that?
qwaletee
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by qwaletee
Since we know that setting a partial restriction that does not allow private car usage effectively restricts s the turn today, it will function properly, and private road is not needed.
qwaletee
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by qwaletee
This sounds like a good addition to explore. In general, segments in box intersections and the like need to follow similar rules to AGC, which is coarsely summarized as the lower of the two highest segment types being connected.

So, for example, usually the end of an MH roadway that turns into, say, mH, will be connected at an intersection that contains another MH or a Fwy. In that case, the crossing segment needs to be MH for continuity. If for some reason the MH ended at a junction that was all mH for the other connections, the crossing segment would not need to be MH.
qwaletee
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message