Road Closures and routing

[ img ]

Moderators: Unholy, davidg666, arthurohara

Road Closures and routing

Postby helvete666 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:59 pm

Hey guys, wonder if you can shed some light, there's a road near me that is closed for construction (local access only) and someone has marked same on Waze, however the app routed me through the road even though there are many other roads I should have been diverted down.
Is the road closure just an advisory notation on the map or is it supposed to route around?
helvete666

Re: Road Closures and routing

Postby davidg666 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 1:07 pm

Hi Martin,
helvete666 wrote:Hey guys, wonder if you can shed some light, there's a road near me that is closed for construction (local access only) and someone has marked same on Waze, however the app routed me through the road even though there are many other roads I should have been diverted down.
Is the road closure just an advisory notation on the map or is it supposed to route around?

If the closure has just been indicated with a change to the name of the road, then that's just advisory.

However, there are several ways of changing the map to take care of road closures, so that Waze won't route people along them:

1. Physically disconnecting the road segment from other road segments.
2 Setting turn restrictions or restrictions on the road segment itself to stop traffic being routed along it.
3. Temporarily changing the road type to Private Road; this should stop people being routed along the road, but will still route people onto it if that's where their destination is. This is good for partial closures that still allow for local access to residents and so on.

These three all require somebody to go back and remove the change once the construction is finished, so obviously an editor needs to remember to do this and keep track of the construction. Restrictions can be set with a date range though, so if the end date of the construction is known when the restriction is placed, then this can make the restriction stop taking effect when the construction is over.

Finally, there's a feature that's only available in the beta editor (which only some editors have access to) that can also be used, although it's sometimes a little buggy (which is why it hasn't been put in the production editor yet) that allows temporary closures (such as construction closures) to be put in place. One handy thing about this is that they take effect immediately, and don't need to wait for the next tile generation.

++David \ davidg666
Country manager and local champ for Ireland
AM for Dublin, Wicklow, Kilkenny, Wexford, Graiguenamanagh and Enniscorthy

[ img ]
davidg666
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs

Re: Road Closures and routing

Postby Timbones » Fri Feb 20, 2015 4:09 pm

You can add a scheduled restriction to a segment, which will mean it will be automatically reopened at the specified time. This is preferable to disconnecting, restricting turns or otherwise making the road impassable. That is, until such time as the closures feature is released.

https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/Partial_restrictions

https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/Road_closures
Timbones(6) • UK Coordinator • Forum Moderator • Global Wiki Moderator • Routing Expert
Extensions: WME Colour HighlightsWME Route TesterWME Geometries
Timbones
Coordinators
Coordinators

Return to Ireland