Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
Post by ialangford
That is true jondrush. In my state, the business addresses are almost universally the same as the postal address, which means the cities don't mean squat. I got one town named Batesburg-Leesville whose addresses are split between two zip codes, one for Batesburg and one for Leesville. To screw it up more the Leesville-side zip code also includes the town of Summit.

As for CDP's, I am NOT in favor of just eliminating them all from the map. Honestly any endeavor to standardize city naming is currently doomed to include things that don't really need inclusion and/or fail to include something important. I personally think that any place (even unincorporated) important enough to show up on a state highway map is real enough to be given a city polygon. Now there are problems with this approach in terms of how to draw the polygon, but I tend to lean towards inclusivity rather than exclusivity. And every place on a state map is real enough that the locals will have heard about it.

As far as Queen Anne goes, I'd say give both a county name and rock on. The only caveat is try and find out if anyone in the area has actually heard of Queen Anne's, Prince George's before. I know of too many CDP's that even locals have never heard of.
ialangford
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/d/d9/W ... 00k_5c.png
CM-USA ; SM-South Carolina
Wer resten, der rosten.

Post by ialangford
Any guidance on cities I'd love to have, but as long as Waze continues to handle city polygons in the current fashion it's going to be for naught.
ialangford
Send a message
Wer resten, der rosten.

Post by ialangford
On the state wiki pages:
Some states and territories manage a separate page on cities and towns to identify the specific city names that should be entered, and no others.
I favor this method. No ambiguity & perfectly tailored for local needs.
ialangford
Send a message
Wer resten, der rosten.

Post by ialangford
I would also note that the census data (with the CDPs) was the base map data in waze. I understand that the imported census map does not include Towns in the New England states, New York, and Wisconsin; Boroughs in New York; or townships as these are considered as minor civil divisions rather than places. In regions that don't include these features the census name structure may remain the basic underlying name structure. In such regions, the census names are the default and should be changed when there is agreement among the local editors that the name is not useful on the waze map or that there is another name that is useful on the waze map.
I'm confused what you are saying here. Are you saying that the census map should be the basis in New England/New York/Wisconsin? Or everywhere else?
ialangford
Send a message
Wer resten, der rosten.

Post by ialangford
Ah ok. So the census maps are still what are largely used in most of the south and west.
ialangford
Send a message
Wer resten, der rosten.

Post by jondrush
I think you are over-explaining and making it hard to follow. What is your goal with the changes?
jondrush
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jondrush
First determine if both areas really do use that cityname. For example, sometimes a neighborhood name is imported into the map, but that name is not frequently used in addresses. See if any businesses in the area advertise with the Waze-assigned name. If one of them is not truly used, then reassign all the streets of that "city" to the correct name (typically the surrounding city). Note that this often happens with CDPs, as seen in the next paragraph.
Can I boil step 1 this down to this:
Eliminate any CDP names that are not used by the local populace, village names or neighborhood names. Either replace the these with the incorporated city name or No Name.
jondrush
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jondrush
There are so many possibilities, based on locality, that I couldn't explain them all in three paragraphs. That's why this is a possible scheme, not an best practice. I want each state to take this and make their own rules.
jondrush
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jondrush
I disagree with the business address statement, as it often doesn't correlate with the city polygon.
jondrush
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jondrush
I've stated this before, In PA there are CDPs that would be recognized by no-one who is alive today, and there are CDPs that have completely supplanted the municipal name, to the point where if you use the municipal name, people look at you funny. As with alleys, there can be no nationwide policy on city names that fits all local situations.
jondrush
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message