Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.
Post by gettingthere
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:No end node required.
But doesn't this go against, keep the maps simple? And really is any SmartPhone GPS going to be able to route you around this cul-de-sac that is now a roundabout? So now it's 'customary' to put a roundabout at the end of every street to avoid adding and end-node?

You are kidding right?
gettingthere
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
San Diego, California USA and Tijuana, Mexico

Post by gettingthere
jenncard wrote:Does anyone know, when we report the ign mistakes on the form, do they always get fixed or should we fix ourselves?
Suggestion:

* Report it
* Monitor after a few days
* If not fixed, fix it yourself since this error is obviously affecting routing and the Waze experience
gettingthere
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Last edited by gettingthere on Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by gettingthere
CBenson wrote:I never seen any of many errors that I have reported be fixed by the ign team.
In the past we have seen Waze staff (Perlin comes to mind) fixing these eventually. I suppose it comes down to what is more important - bringing IGN mistakes to Waze's attention or fixing the problem quickly so that Waze is functioning properly for the Wazers that are driving in the error of the issue.
gettingthere
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by gettingthere
bgodette wrote:And I still say the best way to train the IGN editors and potentially avoid future issues, is to have the one(s) who broke it, fix it.
This sounds great, but if they don't fix it quickly everyone using Waze in areas affected by these bad edits suffer. Not in the community spirit unfortunately...

It's like pointing the finger at someone else but never actually fixing the problem when you have the power to do so! Let's not become like the US Congress, Greek political system, etc.
gettingthere
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by gettingthere
Since it's expected:

Complain, complain - lay off the unnecessary turning lanes!
gettingthere
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by gettingthere
Don't hold out hope for a detailed presentation! Otherwise we'll have to get on a bus for a live demonstration of Waze in action and how you can actually get correct directions to turn right without a right turn ramp.
gettingthere
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by harling
gettingthere wrote:And of course these 'ramps' that were added by the ign crew didn't have the turn restrictions set properly and could direct drivers across the median at the termination of the ramps. AND the right turns were not disabled at the intersection that they were bypassing with the ramps...
Waze needs to:

1) Purge inactive AMs from the map; then
2) Set the ign_* crew loose on areas that have no AM, focusing on areas with the highest concentration of URs.
harling
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/a/ad/W ... os-sig.png
Area Manager, Eastern MA & Southern NH. Country Manager, USA.

Post by harling
gettingthere wrote:
harling wrote:Waze needs to:
1) Purge inactive AMs from the map; then
2) Set the ign_* crew loose on areas that have no AM, focusing on areas with the highest concentration of URs.
But are the ign editors fixing or causing update requests with these edits? In any case, it certainly doesn't seem like they are closing update requests.
Shhh, you're not supposed to draw attention to that part of my plan! ;)

The ign_* crew should be focusing on resolving Update Requests: what could be more important than fixing problems where live users are actually driving, have encountered a problem, and complained about it?! And if they are restricted to places with no active AM, they will be fixing problems that otherwise will remain broken indefinitely! And finally, if their efforts cause more problems than they solve, the new URs will keep dragging them back to those same areas until they get them right!
harling
Send a message

Post by harling
gettingthere wrote:I suspect they are more focused on projects and Automacally generated map problems in Papyrus than Update Requests from the end-users...
That is my impression as well. There are two shortcomings to this approach:
  • 1) Judgment on the part of the ign_* editors is required to determine whether the automatically-generated problems are truly problems; and
    2) Of all the possible maps that address the GPS discrepancies that prompted the automatic alert, many are either incorrect or result in more problems.
Both of these would be addressed by assigning the ign_* editors to URs: end-users, not an automated process, have flagged these issues as real problems worth reporting; and if the solution implemented by the ign_* editors is incorrect, the same Wazers will continue to flag it until it is fixed correctly.
harling
Send a message

Post by harling
My first sign that the IGN editors had come to Boston was a perfectly straight road going from one end of a tunnel to the other--right across the water. After I pointed this out (and cleaned it up), I begged them to keep the IGN editors away from I-93. I had spent literally weeks getting all the underground tunnels (try finding aerials for those!) connecting at the right points and routing correctly. FTR, I had resolved all the URs in Boston at the time.

Take a look at it now. I don't even know where to begin. :-/
harling
Send a message