The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.
Post by ign_dmitriiy
Good day,
It has become evident, that a constructive discussion about the way of improving the efficiency of IGN team’s mapping by pointing out their mistakes, has lost its profitable tendency and has drifted to a pure disapproving and deprecative blame and attitude of total reproach.
May be you have been too exacting and some quite apparent things were missed.
IGN map editors team works with large amount of information having in the field of view aerial photos and GPS points data only .We don’t have the opportunity of driving through the territory required mapping and see at first-hand all necessary turn restriction, road types or levels.
Thereof, we have some inherited limitation in appraising the situation on the map and can make mistakes .To err is human.
We follow the protocol to the letter and appreciate your job, and though sometimes we experience some difficulties with area managers mapping activities too, it has never been a subject of reprimand or altercation.
In this conjuncture, the most significant point is to see the difference between substantial and circumstantial, and have a look at the situation at somewhat different frame of references.
I know all IGN map editors personally , and can assure you, that they are all highly diligent and painstaking people doing their best to improve Waze map situation. And striking them as “IGN morons” (as some area manager did) could be extremely offensive or at least inappropriate and impolite.
I still believe we can work together in the atmosphere of mutual trust and respect, it would be beneficial for all of us and might have many positive attributes in the future.
I hope we would be helpful for each other and quite eager to accommodate the request of all parties.
ign_dmitriiy
Send a message

Post by ircphoenix
dmcconachie wrote:Not strictly true. As they can only be created by an editor roundabouts are auto-validated and will appear in clients without any further interaction. There is a bug in cartouche whereby the colour doesn't change unless you change the road-type, which I'm guessing they should have done here but the roundabout should function ok.
And your statement ignores the main (and valid) thrust of this thread which happens to be, "WTF, IGN_name? WTF?"
ircphoenix
Send a message
Area Manager - Los Angeles, CA (on strike)
HTC Incredible - Verizon - CyanogenMod 7
Wiki Resources: Area Manager Wiki | Map Editing | Client & Cartouche Known Issues
Waze Client Suggestions (Uservoice) | Cartouche Suggestions (Uservoice)

Post by ircphoenix
dmcconachie wrote:You seem to be under the impression that I'm defending them. Having made similar rants on here and directly to waze I assure you I'm not. I was just correcting a common misunderstanding.
And you seem to be under the impression that I think you're defending them. You're reading too far into my post. I was merely trying to keep the flame train on track. =P

Trust me... I'm quite familiar with your cantankerous rants on pretty much EVERY Waze related issue to date. =D
ircphoenix
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Area Manager Wiki | Map Editing | Client & Cartouche Known Issues

Post by ircphoenix
harling wrote:The ign_* crew should be focusing on resolving Update Requests: what could be more important than fixing problems where live users are actually driving, have encountered a problem, and complained about it?!
That's my fixing philosophy. My #1 priority is user generated error reports, because they've BEEN there and EXPERIENCED the problem. Then comes the auto generated reports because hey, they can't ALL be wrong, right? Followed by going back to the areas that I'm very familiar with and making sure directionality,etc. are correct. But hell.. I normally fix the entire area around an update request, since that's the area that we have people already driving through. If I don't update some two way roads out in BFE, and nobody is driving those particular roads... then who cares? I'll get to it when I get to it.
ircphoenix
Send a message

Post by jasonh300
jenncard wrote:Does anyone know, when we report the ign mistakes on the form, do they always get fixed or should we fix ourselves?

https://www.waze.com/cartouche/?zoom=6& ... s=63320899
Wow...Alabama!
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jasonh300
What I don't get is the reasoning behind some of the edits. Today, I was looking over a stretch of interstate that had been edited to perfection a few weeks ago. There was absolutely nothing wrong with it. Today, I noticed that a section of it had the name changed from "I- 10 E" to "to I- 10 E". The previous onramp, properly named "to I- 10 E" had not been edited. Only the freeway segment. I couldn't see anything else obvious that had been changed.

It makes me wonder if an IGN had just selected some random segment of highway and made a change just for the sake of changing something.

My biggest problem that I've had is a major intersection that is in a constant state of construction, and will be for the next few years. It gets reconfigured on a regular basis because they have to get traffic out of the way of a new bridge as it's being built. I redid this intersection twice and found it undone a week later by the same IGN who rebuilt it based on aerial imagery that's probably 5 years old. The GPS tracks showed both the old and new configuration, and still does a month later...it's been discussed elsewhere that the GPS tracks may be VERY out of date and unreliable.

I also recently noticed sections of Interstate outside of my area that shows editing by an IGN in the past few days. These might have previously been unmolested basemap imports for all I know, but they've been edited recently...the travel direction is correct, but the naming is totally wrong. Maybe they're just going through sections of freeway and setting the travel direction, which is fine...it'll be functional for navigation almost immediately...but someone is eventually going to have to go through and name them properly. In this case, maybe it's best that they leave the naming to someone local who actually knows the area and drives the roads.

If the IGNs are being dispatched to areas that have little or no editing activity, they shouldn't be doing anything in Southeastern Louisiana, as we have several editors working daily throughout the area.

There are certain things an IGN who's never been to an area can be helpful with (travel direction on freeways is one good example as it's the same throughout North America). There are certain things that should not be messed with unless the editor drives the road daily.
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jasonh300
WeeeZer14 wrote:Driveways look like they were part of a basemap import (created by admin). The roundabout was definitely created by IGN though.

You can report issues with this form
The thing is, the IGN went in and painstakingly edited those driveways, rather than just deleting them.

When I realized my video card supports two monitors, I brought home an extra flatpanel monitor from the office and hooked it up. I keep Papyrus on one monitor, and a Firefox window open on the other with Google, MapQuest, and Bing maps in tabs.

You have to have multiple resources. Guess which of the three above-referenced map sites is the most inaccurate with street names?
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jasonh300
I think the point of putting the screen capture in the report is so that you can go in and fix the problem, but they'll still be able to see what the problem was. If you want to further document it, drop the permalink and screen capture in this thread. Maybe the IGN editors will come in here and see them and learn from them.
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jasonh300
Now that I think about it, you're right. There should be an easier way. I can get a screenshot saved as a .jpg on my desktop in under 10 seconds, but to put it in the report requires an upload to imageshack, which is the most cumbersome interface I've ever seen (not that flickr or others are much better).

I'm not bashing imageshack...it serves a purpose and it's free, but it's not good when you're in a hurry, or frustrated, as we tend to be in this situation.

At least on the forum, you can attach an image to a message.
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jasonh300
WeeeZer14 wrote:Sorry to awaken an old thread, especially this one, but I just had to share:
IGN_cityzoom.jpg
I once did an entire subdivision like that. I never would've noticed it except I accidentally pasted it into the street name and then it showed on the map.
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message