Post by neylitalo
Thanks for going into such detail! I have read that wiki page, and found it very helpful when I was editing the gates and streets. I used it as a side-by-side reference while I was editing, so I think I was able to follow the principles within pretty well.

1: The post office does give JBER its own ZIP codes (two, actually - 99506 for the Elmendorf side and 99505 for the Richardson side), but I don't think it's a census-designated place. A quick scan of the Census Bureau's website suggests that it is not. How does one go about giving the base its own Waze city?

2: Any part of Elmendorf AFB is also on JBER. They are completely unified, and when somebody wants to reference the Army side or the Air Force side, they say "JBER-Richardson" or "JBER-Elmendorf", respectively. I used different names because when I showed cities on the map editor, I saw that it was split down the middle into "Elmendorf AFB" and "JBER", and those were the auto-fill options for those particular streets' cities. Should I just type in "Joint Base Elmendorf-Richardson" manually?

3. That is the technique in use at all of the gates - it was previously in use at all gates except one, and I changed that one.

4. Good tips. Thank you.

5. That answers my question very well. Thank you.
neylitalo
Send a message

Post by neylitalo
Do you have to be higher than a Level 1 editor to be able to add new cities? I tried to change a few roads to "Joint Base Elmendorf-Richardson", but it gave me an error, saying "you cannot add new cities to this country" or something similar.

Another, probably easier, approach would be to just use the already-in-the-system city of "JBER" - the state accepted it for my daughter's birth certificate, and the mail makes it through. And anybody who spends any significant amount of time in Anchorage probably knows JBER just as well as "Joint Base Elmendorf-Richardson."
neylitalo
Send a message

Post by vectorspace
Dakster3628 wrote:The question I have, is what if you have access to the base and want to get routed through the base?

I am also trying to fix some roads that Waze has incorrect on the base too. Some roads are way off and others exist but are not on waze. These are also wrong on my various car GPSs as well - so it isn't limited to just waze. At least here I can fix it.

Just getting the hang of map editing.

Yea, as DwarfLord mentions, use "add a stop." I use this all the time to stop for something on the way to work. You just navigate to the distant location, then add a stop within the base for your purpose. Picking the right place would be the trick!

I talked to Alanoftheburg and Txemt about this. It's a great discussion.

I think we should update the Private Installations wiki page with naming guidance that might come from this. The fact that JBER is a preferred city name means that we ought to name all the road segments with that city name and avoid using a large Area Place.

I was talking to txemt about this and his concern that some might search the full long name. I would say that local signage should dominate the way you mark roads, ramps, and Places such as gate names on Area Places over gates. Local preference would be valuable if you obtained URs that you needed to fix and address. I would say that adding Point Places with the full name of the base would be useful too, even with modifiers after the full name like "- visitor gate 1" or whatever.
vectorspace
Send a message
vectorspace

Post by vectorspace
DwarfLord wrote:Oh, almost forgot to put in a plug for the Incorrect Edits wiki article. I'm not aware you've made any incorrect edits! But you may find it useful anyway. Even if you are already aware of the issues it covers, it is a handy link to send to other editors in your area.
Wow, that's a really good page. Thanks for doing it! I think this is a great basis for some additional training that we might work on. I was working on training in the past before I was distracted.

I wonder who is the senior editor that doesn't want Area Places deleted/changed?
vectorspace
Send a message
vectorspace