Post by jemay
hmmm.. "Overlapping" may need a term thingy in the wiki???
jemay
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
:arrow: PLEASE READ: Wiki Resources: FAQ|Best Practices|Editing issues?
Global Champ | Assistant Regional Coordinator for US South West - CA,NV,UT,AZ,NM,CO,HI | CM for US

Android & Carplay - Verizon

Post by jemay
I did a search and the only thing with overlapping is where it is contained. So we might need a glossary entry? or better search term with overlapping _______?
jemay
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
:arrow: PLEASE READ: Wiki Resources: FAQ|Best Practices|Editing issues?
Global Champ | Assistant Regional Coordinator for US South West - CA,NV,UT,AZ,NM,CO,HI | CM for US

Android & Carplay - Verizon

Post by kentsmith9
Great page so far. When I get back I will make some more specific comments.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
As I said earlier, this page is looking really good and I am impressed with how it is turning out. Also do not take the length of my comments here negatively. The length is to help tech others who will come after us in understanding some of the Wiki guidelines we have adopted. :D
  1. I was thinking about the layout of each section. It is sometimes hard to see the solution in each section. What about using something like we used on the WME Error page.
    Wiki wrote:Explanation: Sometimes roundabouts get corrupted from prior edits making further changes very difficult.
    Solution: For simple parking lot roundabouts, it is usually fastest to delete the roundabout and recreate it with the changes you require. If it is part of a highway, deleting it will lose traffic flow history, so you may need to go to the forums for some troubleshooting assistance on the issue from more experienced editors.
    With this layout we don't need to use italic for such large sections of text. That is generally discouraged as reading italic font is harder on some people. Also the bold font is not a heading, just bold in that section.
  2. I think it would be good to add a very short section (one or two sentences) after the "Incorrect edits are..." section.
    == Overall editing guidelines ==
    Some editors have not had an opportunity to read through the editing procedures discussed in the Waze Map Editor documentation. In many cases, that documentation helps new editors much more than they realize. Be sure to check it out.
  3. Each section should link back to the WME manual or applicable style guide page that gives the detailed guidance for that issue. The basic information would be on this page and the details would be left to the manual or style guide. That would:
    • enable this page to be shorter and not look so intimidating
    • prevent maintenance of data in two different places if (when) it changes
  4. Normally on a Wiki page you only Wikilink a section at the first occurrence. In the case of this page I think we want to error on the side of over-linking. I say this because many new editors will be sent to a single section and will not have read the whole page all the way through. The Wikilinks will provide the additional information they would need as if that section was the only thing on the page.
  5. Many of the sections use the term "wiki" when referencing a specific page like
    Please see the Driveways wiki for more information on best practice.

See the Parking-Lot Area Place wiki for details.
    The Wiki is the entire collection of information made up of pages or articles (they can mostly be used interchangeably). In this example a more appropriate wording would be:
    Please see the Driveways page for more information on best practice.

See the Parking-Lot Area Place page for details.
  6. This entry wording might be a little harsh:
    Misuse of the Ramp road type
    Ramps are appropriate only for limited situations. If an entry-level editor uses the Ramp road type it is likely to be a mistake.
    Response: Change to the correct road type and rework if necessary, or delete.
    Maybe we can say something like:
    Misuse of the Ramp road type
    Ramps are appropriate only for limited situations. It is common for entry-level editors to use the Ramp road type in the wrong places.
    Response: Review the Ramp guidelines page and then change to the correct road type and rework if necessary, or delete it if unnecessary for that intersection. Be sure to confirm the turn restrictions are also set correctly at the junction points.
  7. Some sections may lay out better using side-by-side images when the text is very short. I edited Unnecessary road splitting to give an example. This also helps break up the page monotony by having images appear in different places periodically.
  8. The use of the HTML code <i></i> and <b></b> in the Wiki is currently still supported, but it has been deprecated in place of the (albeit less intuitive) single quote notation. I recommend we not use the HTML since future Wiki revisions and tools may stop recognizing that code. WikEd already identifies the code as unknown.

If you like I can easily global search and replace those codes so you don't have to do it manually. (Or you can also do it if you have the WikEd extension installed. ;) )
Again this is fantastic work. We need more Wiki contributors. :mrgreen:
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
DwarfLord wrote:So, in writing an article explicitly oriented towards beginners making beginner mistakes, I felt that information should be immediately accessible as well as tutorial in scope. In some cases that meant reiterating information available in other articles. This was deliberate.

That being said, I'm in complete agreement that links to other documentation definitely belong throughout this article. I've been adding them as I go, and welcome help! I also plan to keep adding images as I come across good candidates.
Good points and I can support the more beginner sections being more detailed in support of not making them jump back and forth to find what they should do. Maybe in that case if a section discusses a topic enough to cover it, at the end (or opening) of that section you could use a hatnote template like {{Details}}. That way a more advanced editor could go to the full details on the other page if they feel confident enough.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
qwaletee wrote:I introduced a few "don't panic" messages, since the page contains so many "you might be doing it wrong" messages. They all consist a friendly message saying that there's stuff that's safe and easy to do, with an internal link within the article.
DwarfLord wrote:Looks good to me. I'm not sure quite so many instances of the message are necessary but perhaps it's appropriate given how this page will get used. But, shouldn't the words "don't panic" be printed in large, friendly letters? ;)
I think it is OK in the current placements, but I would not want to draw too much attention to it. I would leave as is.

Since we use it 4 times on the page with the same text, I moved it to a transcluded subpage to simplify future updates and to prevent it from getting modified in one section without the other.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
Now responding to the serious side of the point, we may need a disambiguation page on overlapping since there are at least 4 different pages that use that term is similar, but different ways.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
It might not be bad to help new editors find things to focus on, rather than adding unnecessary parking lot roads, changing freeway exits, etc., since so much of the obvious work as been completed in the major cities.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
I went ahead and reset the opening construction box as proposed.

For deleting roads, I propose it be added as a "Functional Mistake". I personally don't see it as one of the top two worst editing mistakes, but it still should be on this page.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message