Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Add Speed and Red Light Camera?

Post by vdub213
Is there a way to add a red light of speed camera to the map in editing mode? Or can you only do so by marking it on my mobile app?
vdub213

POSTER_ID:6603271

Send a message
.:Vdub213:. Area Manager- Midwest Ohio
https://www.facebook.com/brh213
Win7 + Chrome
Huawei M885 + Android 2.3.6
Waze: 3.0.2.8

https://i1051.photobucket.com/albums/s4 ... ure_4c.png

Post by vdub213
gettingthere wrote:Cameras are added in the client application and confirmed in the Waze Map Editor.
Ok. I was just checking to make sure there isn't a way to add on from my editor. I will just have to mark it next time I'm in the area. Thanks!
vdub213
Send a message
.:Vdub213:. Area Manager- Midwest Ohio
https://www.facebook.com/brh213
Win7 + Chrome
Huawei M885 + Android 2.3.6
Waze: 3.0.2.8

https://i1051.photobucket.com/albums/s4 ... ure_4c.png

Post by TheRookie
I have only marked the RED light camera's on the WAZE application on my phone and that's it. I can't seem to find a procedure or write up on how to add it to a map using a map editor... Can you help?
TheRookie
Send a message

Post by TheRookie
I've marked it on the map on 3 different occasions.. So why isn't it marked on the map by now???
TheRookie
Send a message

Post by taco909
nzahn1 wrote:Yeah, if the camera is mobile/relocatable then its best reported as a police speed trap.
Except those only hang around for a couple of hours.
We would need something in between, like the logic of potholes that stick for 72-96 hours.
Perhaps a police trap that sticks until it is flagged "not there"?
taco909  
Map Editor - Level 4
Map Editor - Level 4
Send a message
-- Rich

Post by taco909
+1

Just because the strobe fires does not mean a ticket is issued.
We have radar speed signs that will flash a strobe if the driver is more than 10 over, but it is only an attention-grabber and scare tactic. Speed cameras are illegal in California.
taco909  
Map Editor - Level 4
Map Editor - Level 4
Send a message
-- Rich

Post by taco909
DallasGrant wrote:That is the same way in Minnesota. We have cameras at most stop lights in cities, but these are not red light (take pictures of people going through red lights) cameras, these are only for gathering evidence of an accident or a crime.
Likely not even that.
Los Angeles and Caltrans do not even record.
My city records, but we only store for a few weeks. It can be helpful to resolve accidents in some cases, but not always. Our cameras are either for vehicle detection (replacement for the in-ground loop detectors) or simply for traffic observation to assist in improving timing plans.
taco909  
Map Editor - Level 4
Map Editor - Level 4
Send a message
-- Rich

Post by taco909
kudu12323 wrote:
DallasGrant wrote:The good thing about reporting cameras in the Waze app is that an editor then has to approve them now before they show up on the map itself.
And thank goodness for that. I find dozens a day in the Houston area by almost always level 1's who many times set up several of them as they go down the street. I have seen instances of them setting up a speed, red light and dummy at the same location simultaneously.

Texas does not allow speed cameras anyplace in the state and Houston (and other cities) don't allow red light cameras either. The Texas wiki is very clear on this but I guess these new guys push buttons and ask questions later.
Most of these are not even from editors, and have no idea what happens after they hit "report"
If I'm not mistaken, the usa_xxxxx users are the default assigned to Facebook imports.
taco909  
Map Editor - Level 4
Map Editor - Level 4
Send a message
-- Rich