RI Effort: Important Places

Moderators: delilush, orbitc, banished

RI Effort: Important Places

Postby GooberKing » Fri Mar 27, 2015 4:18 am

Hey there, little Rhodies!

With the Functional Classification effort almost done, it's time to start looking ahead to the next Big Thing. After much (much!) discussion in the RI Editors Hangout (PM me if you want to join!), we're gonna take a stab at cleaning up all the Important Places around RI so that Wazers can have accurate information about the critical locations near them. This thread will be used to discuss the scope of this project and applicable standards, with input from the RI community and beyond. Then, once it's all been formalized in the RI Wiki, we can actually start getting to work, with the ultimate goal of locking these Places at L3 so they can't be messed with in the future.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, to start with, what is considered an Important Place? I figured we could begin with this definition:

A place is considered Important if it is essential to the functioning of a state or town and the lives of local residents.

Now, this is obviously a somewhat subjective definition, but it at least gives us an idea of what sort of places we'll need to look at. The next step would be to identify specific categories of places to focus on for this initial effort. Based on the above definition, we can break it down into two distinct areas, like so:

• State Level
    • State House
    • Court Houses
    • Airports
    • Train Stations
    • Hospitals/ERs
  • Town Level
    • Town Hall
    • Police Station
    • Firehouses
    • Post Offices
    • Schools
    • Libraries

These are, of course, examples of what could go in each area, and we can all debate the merits of which places should go where. Again, the purpose is to just get the ball rolling on getting everything laid out. Once we settle on a definitive list of places, we can discuss things like naming conventions for each type of place and go from there.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, to recap, here are the goals of this thread:

1. Define "Important Place"
  2. Create a finite list of place types that meet the definition of Important Place
  3. Create a naming standard for each Important Place type

Sound good? Then sound off here in this thread and let's clean up RI! :D
Last edited by GooberKing on Fri Mar 27, 2015 4:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
[ img ]
State Manager of Rhode Island (and also Connecticut)
RI Wiki | RI To Do List
Verizon | Android 5.1 | Waze v4.15.0.2
GooberKing
State Manager
State Manager

Re: RI Effort: Important Places

Postby MojaveCactusMonkey » Fri Mar 27, 2015 4:32 am

For instance a standard for post offices is Utilizing the USPS locator https://tools.usps.com/go/POLocatorAction.action We would list only the full service post offices. CPU’s and locations with only stamp booklets only do not qualify as a full service post office. Start the name with CDP or Station name, then append “Post Office”. Place the City name and the ZIP code of the Post Office in the Description box, so it will be viewable in the app GO page. Alternate name should be “USPS-xxx”. In the Description field we would list the 5 digit zip code for that office. Locked at 3.

So
Begin search result number Red flag marker designating this Post Office™ location. Clicking this icon will scroll the map on the right of this page to make the location's equivalent marker visible inside the map. This may be helpful should you wish to print your selected location. 0.2 mi
APPONAUG ›
3205 POST RD
WARWICK, RI 02886-7157
800-ASK-USPS® (800-275-8777)

Would be listed like
Apponaug Post Office
alt name USPS - Apponaug

Description box

Just an example above...
MojaveCactusMonkey
Map Raider
Map Raider

Postby SanzClew » Fri Mar 27, 2015 2:50 pm

How about:

STATE LEVEL
College/Univ
Stadium/Arena
Prisons
[ img ] [ img ]
USA CM | NER MSM | MA SM | RI SM
Waze, because you don't have enough to do in real life.....
Mass Wiki / CT Wiki / RI Wiki / NH Wiki / VT Wiki / ME Wiki
SanzClew
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby TheLastTaterTot » Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:53 pm

I'll give a first stab at defining the notion of "important places..." In the context of Waze, an app for driving navigation, I would probably define "important places" as any public destination that most typical people may need to go to, but infrequently enough to not have the route memorized. In addition, the total number of locations should be modest or unique with respect to the size of the city. That is, it should not be ubiquitous on numerous street corners... so gas stations would not be an important place under this current definition.

------------------------
General rank from most --> less important:
(Note: their specific positions within the list is not so precise)

Hospitals/ERs
Stadiums/Convention centers
Airports
Train Stations (major pickup/dropoff points)
DMV <-- You forgot that again!
Schools (colleges/universities)
Post Offices
Police Station (jury duty? or is that court houses?)
Court Houses (jury duty?)
Large Public Libraries (local libraries less important)
Town Hall
State House
Firehouses (fire department drives to you!)
R5 | RI SM | CA, MA & NY AM | Mentor
TheLastTaterTot
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Postby GooberKing » Sun Mar 29, 2015 4:23 am

Yea, that's why I put the word "essential" in my definition, to try and keep the list of places small for now. We can work on other, less essential places in another round.

As for actual places, I can see adding Colleges to the list, but not so sure about Stadiums and Prisons. Again, if we're going with the "essential" definition, then I wouldn't think those qualify. That means DMVs, too. (Sorry Patti :( )
[ img ]
RI Wiki | RI To Do List
GooberKing
State Manager
State Manager

Postby SanzClew » Sun Mar 29, 2015 4:40 pm

DD or Starbucks for tatertot?
[ img ] [ img ]
USA CM | NER MSM | MA SM | RI SM
Waze, because you don't have enough to do in real life.....
Mass Wiki / CT Wiki / RI Wiki / NH Wiki / VT Wiki / ME Wiki
SanzClew
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby MojaveCactusMonkey » Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:54 pm

I think fire stations are important to be consistantly named and are traditionally included in locked high.
DMV's are a public service and no one that is new to a community knows where they are instinctively. So that's important.

In regards to DD and Starbucks, these are commercial entities, and not really a priority.
Gas stations while commercial ventures are considered high priority for Waze and locked to 3, so they should be standardized. ARCO is one where champs consistantly have us label correctly. So gas stations need to be added to the list by using the station locator on the company website.

-Marty
MojaveCactusMonkey
Map Raider
Map Raider

Postby GooberKing » Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:56 pm

So, sounds like the definition needs to be changed to something like this:

A place is considered Important if it is a non-commercial location that can reasonably be considered relevant to new residents.

With that definition, we can include DMVs and colleges, though I still don't think that applies to stadiums and prisons. Are there any other government offices we should include?

As for gas stations, I think we'll save that for its own effort, since there are so many of them...
[ img ]
RI Wiki | RI To Do List
GooberKing
State Manager
State Manager

Postby TheLastTaterTot » Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:34 pm

lol I know we're focusing on standardizing route names right now, but I'll just reply to this real quick...

Personally, I think that the notion of "importance" should be framed in the context of a driving navigation app. Under what circumstances would a person need to employ the aid of a navigation app?
TheLastTaterTot
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Postby TheLastTaterTot » Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:37 pm

Also, my 2 cents:
GooberKing wrote:A place is considered Important if it is a non-commercial location that can reasonably be considered relevant to new residents or visitors.

So that would include stadiums and convention centers.
TheLastTaterTot
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Next

Return to Rhode Island