Post by dmcconachie
They'll want to keep the core processes running, ie downloading of maps onto the clients and getting reliable routing results. I'd also be very surprised if it's months before we see services begin to come back online!
dmcconachie
Send a message
dmcconachie • Former Global Champ

UK WikiUK FB PageCurrent status

Post by dmcconachie
gettingthere wrote:Although I thought that they re-did the points calculation process in July 2011 when they were having difficulty with points calculations at that time...
That process appears to still be online and it's more the merger and trace processes that are offline and being rewritten.
dmcconachie
Send a message

Post by dmcconachie
That's what I was basing it on! ;-)
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:They need to offload the points calculation to a completely different, parallel process. I may not understand it all fully, but it seems to me that points calculation for raw miles driven, candies, etc should be easy to add up quickly. What needs more calculation is new road recording and munching before points can be posted.
That's my understanding too.
dmcconachie
Send a message

Post by dmcconachie
unwallflower wrote:Hopefully they're on track, but I'm going to remain skeptical until I see results. With Waze, we've learned that "soon" often means a month or three, or sometimes even more than that.

To be honest, I don't think things have updated regularly (meaning every 24 hrs, like they are supposed to) for any significant length of time in the past year. It's really unacceptable that it took them this long to decide that it's a problem.
I agree with this - I'm trying not to be the first on the panic-wagon for once though!
dmcconachie
Send a message

Post by dmcconachie
The points tallying process has not been stopped in itself. You'll obviously not gain points for routes travelled but they should still accumulate for eg editing. Eventually.
dmcconachie
Send a message

Post by dmcconachie
dknight212 wrote:
dmcconachie wrote:The points tallying process has not been stopped in itself. You'll obviously not gain points for routes travelled but they should still accumulate for eg editing. Eventually.
I think I'm getting the 750 points for editing even though they're awarded on the road. Is that your understanding?
It is. If not I've been sleep-editing! ;-)
dmcconachie
Send a message

dmcconachie
Send a message

Post by dmcconachie
Sounds good doesn't it! :)
dmcconachie
Send a message

Post by gettingthere
ubermuffin wrote:Lets hope they get more servers ASAP to cope.
With the exception of maybe Israel, they are using AWS (Amazon Web Services) for their hosting. So it's not necessarily about buying servers.
gettingthere
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
San Diego, California USA and Tijuana, Mexico

Post by gettingthere
Sure, they need the right services at the correct level for the load. But is seems based on what Waze is saying these issues are more about the coding and the way that they are doing things vs. the hosting provider. The need to re-work and optimize the code, especially for these batch processes that run to process gps points, routes, calculate points, and generate the live map that get's pushed to the clients. It seems that what they are doing now it not optimized for the number of users they have had and the additional influx of new users.

Although I thought that they re-did the points calculation process in July 2011 when they were having difficulty with points calculations at that time...

Hopefully they are also going to resolve the issues with the map editor slowing down and not refreshing the road layer in a timely manner. Don't know if those issues are tied to the issues above or other issues.

Of course they also need to ensure that the routing servers are highly reliable also!
gettingthere
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
San Diego, California USA and Tijuana, Mexico