The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.
Post by taco909
MapWrangler wrote:I’m a newbie. Is this the correct place to post a question about a new shopping center (in NH) I added that has mostly been deleted (still shows on mobile) -- or should I ask in viewforum.php?f=585 ? Thanks!
This thread is for sharing the work of overzealous editors (whether new or experienced).
But to answer your question, please refer to https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/Best_map_editing_practice
and specifically https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/Best_map_edi ... rking_Lots
Those should answer your question regarding why much of your detailed work was undone.
Always keep in mind that Waze is not a mapping app, it is a routing app. The goal is to get the driver to an address, and once there, to get them away and back on the main road. When you are in a parking lot, the only "road" that you care about is the one closest to you that leads to the exit. That is also the only road that Waze cares about. "Please drive to specified route" with a purple line 6 lanes away is much simpler for the driver than "Turn left, then left again.... Turn right, then in 400ft, right again..."
taco909
Map Editor - Level 4
Map Editor - Level 4
Send a message
-- Rich

Post by taco909
Also I can see with the addition of the paid advertisement icons appearing on the map, the possibility of conflict with non-paid rendering of local businesses, which can be saved by any well-intended editor, but which can also be saved by business owners, and more nefariously, relocated and saved by competing business owners.

As you said, this should not be an issue with point places because they do not render on the client.
taco909
Map Editor - Level 4
Map Editor - Level 4
Send a message
-- Rich

Post by taco909
Sadly, from an L2....
JollyIrvine.jpg
(228.99 KiB) Downloaded 906 times
taco909
Map Editor - Level 4
Map Editor - Level 4
Send a message
-- Rich

Post by taco909
So what kind of turn instruction would EB Fountain to NB Kenmore generate?
taco909
Map Editor - Level 4
Map Editor - Level 4
Send a message
-- Rich

Post by taco909
Of course, the "Stay left" for westbound isn't good.
Those intersections are right on the edge of whether I would consider splitting or combining with doglegs.
taco909
Map Editor - Level 4
Map Editor - Level 4
Send a message
-- Rich

Post by taco909
fuchserl wrote:By a L2 editor... (unnecessary to mention that all the Residences have no name)
But are they addressed correctly? If those are private roads without names, at least these will put the stop point at the front door rather than the entrance to the development ;)
taco909
Map Editor - Level 4
Map Editor - Level 4
Send a message
-- Rich

Post by taco909
mdavidsonjr wrote:I think this was a very good job to correct the issue, lol.
Exactly.
That kind of dedication and skill needs to be encouraged and nurtured.
He did a good job, it's just incorrect.
taco909
Map Editor - Level 4
Map Editor - Level 4
Send a message
-- Rich

Post by taco909
At least it wasn't glowing red :lol:
taco909
Map Editor - Level 4
Map Editor - Level 4
Send a message
-- Rich

Post by taco909
crazycaveman wrote:Someone really likes their parking lots...

...Yes... Those are all parking lot areas created by a rank 1... :o :shock:
Not the first, won't be the last.

I've probably edited or deleted 50 parking lots in the last 7 days.

Please people... when the parking lot is in front of Walgreens and says "Customer parking only, tow away" it should not be mapped.
taco909
Map Editor - Level 4
Map Editor - Level 4
Send a message
-- Rich

Post by taco909
bgodette wrote:
Taco909 wrote:Please people... when the parking lot is in front of Walgreens and says "Customer parking only, tow away" it should not be mapped.
IMO they shouldn't be mapped unless they hold 1000's of cars and come with names like Goofy, Mickey, Donald...
...and are locked at L6 :lol:
taco909
Map Editor - Level 4
Map Editor - Level 4
Send a message
-- Rich