Post by MojaveCactusMonkey
Rmember, one of the things we need to do on RI wiki is list the official resources for naming schemes. So that if one area uses a naming method for fire stations, it may not be the same for another city in Rhode Island. In the fire department remember the category is the common denominator. So if you search for fire department, it should bing up fire departments no matter what they are called. Like fire departments sometimes have their name on a sign on the front.

The school system should have a naming scheme for each school. So imho we should have wiki referring to official resources.

In regards to stadium, it's a commercial entity, but you simply utilize the official name.

Gas stations don't have to be a seperate project. As we come across them, use the company website station locator. The brand is different than the name. We don't have to name them their dba name, it can be the name on the front of the convenience store part of the gas station.
MojaveCactusMonkey
Map Raider
Map Raider
Send a message
https://sign.wme-tools.com/images/signatures/cones-5-small.png
MENTOR / COUNTRY MANAGER - USA

Adding PLACES?
NV Forum. NV Wiki
RI Forum. RI Wiki
CT Forum. CT Wiki

MojaveCactusMonkey
Map Raider
Map Raider
Send a message
https://sign.wme-tools.com/images/signatures/cones-5-small.png
MENTOR / COUNTRY MANAGER - USA

Adding PLACES?
NV Forum. NV Wiki
RI Forum. RI Wiki
CT Forum. CT Wiki

Post by Ohmanrayman
Every place that I can think of that could be considered important has already been mentioned. I have been working on most of the northern RI Fire Stations/Departments in my free time. Woonsocket, Cumberland, Lincoln Burriville and Smithfield are all set just as long as they match the standardization when we make it.(Hopefully they do) They have all the information and the name the city/town uses for them plus in the description there is "In the case of an Emergency, call 911."
It does get difficult when one town has multiple fire districts in it like Lincoln and Burriville and plenty of more. Lincoln has five different fire districts each with their own station and name. This means there is no Lincoln Fire Department Stations 1-5 but Albion FD, Lime Rock FD, Lonsdale FD and etc. Maybe for FD like this, an alternative name could be ""City" Fire Department, "Street"" That's just an idea to help those who don't really know the villages of their town.
Ohmanrayman
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by SanzClew
How about:

STATE LEVEL
College/Univ
Stadium/Arena
Prisons
SanzClew
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs
Answers: 1
Send a message

Post by SanzClew
Going back to local names we've got Cumberland Farms and D'Angelos and Papa Ginos...
SanzClew
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs
Answers: 1
Send a message

Post by TheLastTaterTot
I'll give a first stab at defining the notion of "important places..." In the context of Waze, an app for driving navigation, I would probably define "important places" as any public destination that most typical people may need to go to, but infrequently enough to not have the route memorized. In addition, the total number of locations should be modest or unique with respect to the size of the city. That is, it should not be ubiquitous on numerous street corners... so gas stations would not be an important place under this current definition.

------------------------
General rank from most --> less important:
(Note: their specific positions within the list is not so precise)

Hospitals/ERs
Stadiums/Convention centers
Airports
Train Stations (major pickup/dropoff points)
DMV <-- You forgot that again!
Schools (colleges/universities)
Post Offices
Police Station (jury duty? or is that court houses?)
Court Houses (jury duty?)
Large Public Libraries (local libraries less important)
Town Hall
State House
Firehouses (fire department drives to you!)
TheLastTaterTot
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Send a message
R5 | RI SM | CA, MA & NY AM | Mentor

Post by TheLastTaterTot
lol I know we're focusing on standardizing route names right now, but I'll just reply to this real quick...

Personally, I think that the notion of "importance" should be framed in the context of a driving navigation app. Under what circumstances would a person need to employ the aid of a navigation app?
TheLastTaterTot
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Send a message

Post by TheLastTaterTot
Also, my 2 cents:
GooberKing wrote: A place is considered Important if it is a non-commercial location that can reasonably be considered relevant to new residents or visitors.
So that would include stadiums and convention centers.
TheLastTaterTot
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Send a message