Post by qwaletee
PZ< let's qualify. It is not recommended unless it truly necessary. If you have another way around it that's reasonable, avoid it. For example, if both COULD be a keep or both COULD be a turn, that might be better. Or you can sometimes accomplish this with a wayfinder, which is more acceptable.

The main reasons hacks are discouraged:
1) They are awkward, many editors won't recognize them, and may think they are just a bad edit
2) Since they rely on some esoteric behaviors of the routing engine (or other part of Waze), it is possible that these behaviors may change and turn the hack into a bad map edit

But we won't let those stop us from making a map work today if it is currently misbehaving in a significantw ay and there is no alternative.
qwaletee
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
US Champ / Country Manager | State Manager NY, NJ, PA, CT, MA, RI, VT, ME, NH | Northeast ARC | Mentor | Responding to Map Issues

Post by qwaletee
Not in the wiki because the stubs to nowhere article is yet to be written, though i think there's a draft in user space now.
qwaletee
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
US Champ / Country Manager | State Manager NY, NJ, PA, CT, MA, RI, VT, ME, NH | Northeast ARC | Mentor | Responding to Map Issues

Post by qwaletee
I have seen this, too, though I have not seen Waze generate MPs for such. I do use stubs to force the instruction, even in case A, because it confuses people.

For example, here (your case 1): https://www.waze.com/editor/?env=usa&lo ... s=81373183

And here (your case 2): https://www.waze.com/editor/?env=usa&lo ... 9,33540293

Someone removed the stub from the latter, but I just added it back in, and as you can see from the URO+ [NOTE] that I added, it does in fact currently have the problem you described.

Your case 3 is not really a problem. As long as their is no perceived turn, essentially, Waze is merely "failing" to call to the driver's attention that the road name is changing.
qwaletee
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by qwaletee
Forgot to mention the roads to nowhere section - don't know if that is one of the links PZ refers to.
qwaletee
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by qwaletee
Pie chart? Do you mean the angle examples? The term "pie chart" has a different common meaning.
qwaletee
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by SeZAKxing
Is there a minimum ramp length to generate an "Exit Right"?

S-in is Major Highway "US-250 E, Charlottesville, Virginia"
S-1/best continuation is "US-250 E, Charlottesville, Virginia"
S-out is 50m ramp "Locust Ave / St. Charles Ave, Charlottesville, Virginia"
angles at ID: 43599247 179, 22, 160

Live Map
SeZAKxing
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message
(random character guy)
images/ranks/EditLevel4_Badge.png
Area Manager in VA; Culpeper to Amherst, Rockingham to Cumberland

Post by sketch
Thanks for that link, davielde. I think these two threads are trying to accomplish the same thing.

CBenson, very nice flowchart. I think this is the best way to explain this. Small examples of each could be included throughout the chart.

A couple things. First, at the bottom — if s-in is a ramp, I don't believe you'll ever get an "exit right" coming out of a ramp. Second (working up I guess), the "best continuation" diamond needs to be worded more clearly. We may need more information as well. It may even need expansion into more elements, e.g., whether the types are the same, whether the names are the same, the type of s-out...
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
ALL US EDITORS READ: New USA road type guidance
the guidance linked above is now almost a decade old, but the link gives me a laugh every time i see it, so it stays (:
assistant regional coordinator • south central region • usa
waze global champ • beta leader • and more • new orleans

bye bye fuelly badge! i'm an EV guy now!

Post by sketch
Haha, I think "turn angle" is good enough. But yes, an illustration is certainly warranted! I wanted to do one with a nonstraight best continuation with a dotted line and everything. BTW, I think Junction Angle Info gives you the turn angle if you select a pair of connected segments.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
the guidance linked above is now almost a decade old, but the link gives me a laugh every time i see it, so it stays (:

sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
"Keep right then keep left" or "keep left then keep right" for a center option is less inaccurate than simply "keep right" or "keep left" with nothing further. A double "keep right" or "keep left" might be redundant, but it is not inaccurate. Accuracy is more important than avoiding redundancy.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message