The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Cartouche and Papyrus showing different aerials?

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
I haven't run into the situation until now where Cartouche and Papyrus are showing different age aerials, and in this case, Cartouche is showing a more recent set.

https://www.waze.com/cartouche_old/?zoo ... -123.23528

I had always thought that they pulled from the same API and should be identical?
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps

POSTER_ID:701618

Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
Here's what I see:
cartouche_aerial.png
Aerial view in Cartouche
(278.64 KiB) Downloaded 1524 times
papyrus_aerial.png
Aerial view in Papyrus
(273.98 KiB) Downloaded 1525 times
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
It's gotta be some kind of caching then at our ISPs or other location which can't control.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
gettingthere wrote:Related although not specifically addressing this issue - it seems that when zoomed in to the last image that displays (zoomed in close) that these are generally older images than what displays when zoomed out further.
Which is the opposite of what I usually experience and have complained to alpha about before.

--
If it looks strange, or I used bad grammar or misspelled anything, it's my phone's fault.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by cactus22minus1
I can confirm new aerials in Seattle, and they are a lot more recent so that's nice to see. However, the new aerials are not showing up on the tightest zoom level, which still shows the older images. The problem with updated satellite imagery is that the two different sets were taken from different angles relative to the earth's surface- Obviously, the satellite is not always directly above the area it is capturing. This doesn't affect surface roads so much, but you may find now that elevated roads can appear in a drastically different location depending on how much the angle differs on the new set. The higher elevated a road/bridge/whatever is from the ground, the more potential for that road to now look really offset in the editor. Some of the stuff I noticed that looks a little shifted, I checked the GPS trails, and the placement is correct.. it just now looks a little off based on the images. So I guess this is a good time to be reminded about checking GPS!
cactus22minus1
Send a message

Post by CBenson
Fascinating. I see in the old cartouche what your Papyrus screen shot shows.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902

Post by dmcconachie
My views are switched!? I see the newer aerial in papyrus and the older one in cartouche! :shock:
dmcconachie
Send a message
dmcconachie • Former Global Champ

UK WikiUK FB PageCurrent status

Post by gerben
I see the new images in both editors...

I think Bing is renewing their aerials. We've got very recent (last winter) aerials popping up at many locations in The Netherlands since August or so.
gerben
Send a message
Nokia Lumia 920 (WP8 3.7.6 client)
Countrymanager The Netherlands
[img]https:///EcBKq[/img][img]https:///WS6zp[/img][img]https:///Y17fx[/img]https://img69.imageshack.us/img69/35/luiconring.png

Post by gettingthere
Related although not specifically addressing this issue - it seems that when zoomed in to the last image that displays (zoomed in close) that these are generally older images than what displays when zoomed out further.
gettingthere
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
San Diego, California USA and Tijuana, Mexico

Post by gettingthere
AlanOfTheBerg wrote: Which is the opposite of what I usually experience and have complained to alpha about before.
Maybe it is different in each State/Region. What I posted above has been my experience.

Don't know how much control Waze has over this. Bing is the provider. Likely Waze is just using whatever Bing is giving them.
gettingthere
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
San Diego, California USA and Tijuana, Mexico