Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!

Introducing myself

Post by irishGmcG
Hello everyone, I am new to the map editor but finding it addictive so if there are any areas that need focused on please let me know and I will dive in!!

Gerry (irishgmcg)
irishGmcG

POSTER_ID:16891766

Send a message

Post by arthurohara
Greetings and welcomes all around,

Introductions are a great idea Gerry (irishGmcG). Welcome to you and the very best of luck.

It would be nice to have a brief introduction from all Waze Editors in Ireland, even those who are registered here and doing most of their editing in far-away places that does not benefit the Ireland map.

Genuine editors will find me to be the most helpful even though I'm in no ways infallible and certainly learn something new in Waze practically every day.

Don't really know what to make of this comment by "CTCNetwork"...
I am still trying to work out whether there is actually a street and road naming convention in Ireland, but then I do hail from Uk so I am disadvantaged. I will admit that there have been some improvements as I am now finding small Lxxx road number signs dotted over the place when I do visit.
Based on my forum activity I suppose I could be accused of being a bit of an old crank! Well it's not my intention. We have managed to stop three confirmed cheaters who were taking unfair advantage. Dishonesty and I don't see eye-to-eye. To me its all about doing the best job possible for the common good out there on the road. I take a real pride in anything I do.

I've been able to devote quite a bit of time to the tasks in hand in Waze because I'm recuperating from very serious injuries, which resulted in major cervical spine reconstruction. Thankfully surgery has been incredibly successful. I'm "semi-bionic" now you see so there are many new carbon and platinum parts in there that will far outlive the carcass. I'm a bit of a 'grafter' too so I really enjoy getting stuck in.

Here's my Waze history to date.

Let's say I'm no spring chicken but I feel, act and behave worse than one!

Last visited: Tue Apr 14, 2015 11:53 pm
Total posts: 107
(0.08 posts per day / 0.01% of all posts)
Most active forum: Ireland
(86 Posts / 80.37% of your posts)
Most active topic: Waze Cheating in Ireland.
(11 Posts / 10.28% of your posts)
Info as of Tue 14 Apr 2015 0352 GMT Daylight Time Wk. 16.

Going forward I would love to see Ireland Group Meetings. Get-togethers could be great fun and educational. We might even get Waze to fund.

I would also like to see Ireland become self managed and am working towards that eventuality.

All the very best,

Arthur O Hara
alias Arfur Daley
arthurohara
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message
Arthur O Hara
Local Champ
Country Manager Ireland
https://eb1rhs
Waze Ireland Twitter @WazeIreland
[url]https:///cF4Rje[/url]

Friend Me Facebook http://goo.gl/o2fjOI
Google Earth Imagery Updates: [url]https:///CIYBsn[/url]

Post by arthurohara
Hi David,

At very early stages of self-management assessment possibility for Ireland.

Soon as I have a worthwhile proposal I shall push it out for information and assessment by every interested party.

Arthur.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
arthurohara
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message
Arthur O Hara
Local Champ
Country Manager Ireland
https://eb1rhs
Waze Ireland Twitter @WazeIreland
[url]https:///cF4Rje[/url]

Friend Me Facebook http://goo.gl/o2fjOI
Google Earth Imagery Updates: [url]https:///CIYBsn[/url]

Post by CTCNetwork
Hi,

Welcome on board. Get used to trying to read rocks with carved text in them on google streetview. An amusing little pastime that seems to have no other benefit than improving your knowledge of local rocks.. :D Moss covered planks are, however, increasing in popularity!! :D

I am still trying to work out whether there is actually a street and road naming convention in Ireland, but then I do hail from Uk so I am disadvantaged. I will admit that there have been some improvements as I am now finding small Lxxx road number signs dotted over the place when I do visit.

Des. . . ;)
CTCNetwork
Send a message

Post by davidg666
Hey Gerry,
irishGmcG wrote:Hello everyone, I am new to the map editor but finding it addictive so if there are any areas that need focused on please let me know and I will dive in!!
Welcome to Waze, welcome to editing, and welcome to the forum! Thanks for showing up here too; I think the forum tends to be a little quiet, so it's nice to see some activity here.

By way of introduction: I've been using Waze since late 2011, and editing ever since. When I started, even navigation around Dublin didn't work well (I lived on a one-way street at the time, but Waze didn't know it was one-way). I began with fixing up the areas around where I lived and drove regularly, and then moved on to mapping parts of the country within my editing area, and after a while applied to become an area manager for Dublin and several country towns so I could complete the mapping of those. Now I've got editing rights for the whole country, so when I have time I pick an area that's not well mapped and try to map every road in that area.

At the moment I don't have much free time for editing, so I just do a little bit here and there and I try to look out for map problems and the work of other editors. When I see a new editor show up (like yourself) I usually send a welcome message; I'm hoping to get the whole editor community talking so we can help each other.

Anyway, as for what needs looking at, all of the main roads have been mapped (motorways and N- roads) and most of the R- roads. The big cities are OK, and many (but not all) of the towns, but there are plenty of towns and villages that aren't mapped at all, and lots of back roads. You mentioned that you're working your way out to your 2 mile limit, so that's probably a good way to get editing practice and to cover quite a lot of area too.

Do stay in touch by PM or here on the forum, and if you haven't read it yet, read the editing guides in the wiki and the Ireland section of the wiki for our local conventions for road naming and so on.

all the best,

++David \ davidg666
davidg666
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Answers: 1
Send a message
Country manager and local champ for Ireland

Post by davidg666
CTCNetwork wrote:I am still trying to work out whether there is actually a street and road naming convention in Ireland, but then I do hail from Uk so I am disadvantaged. I will admit that there have been some improvements as I am now finding small Lxxx road number signs dotted over the place when I do visit.
You probably already know about this page for our road naming convention (although I'm not sure that that's what you were getting at). In any case, townland names are the way to go for road names that don't have a name that's detectable by other means. The OSI online map is pretty handy for working out townland names.

Some people seem to like putting townland names as part of the road name for R- and N- roads, but I prefer just to use them for minor roads. That's just my personal opinion.

The Lxxx signs are certainly proliferating, and some counties seem to be much keener about putting them up than others. StreetView is a bit out of date for these, so you can only see the older signs here. I've even seen Lxxx signs that also have the townland name on them in parts of Galway!

Anyway, to all editors here: please introduce yourselves in the forum, even if you've been editing here for years!

++David \ davidg666
davidg666
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message

Post by davidg666
'morning all,
arthurohara wrote:Going forward I would love to see Ireland Group Meetings. Get-togethers could be great fun and educational. We might even get Waze to fund.
I think that's a great idea! I've spoken to many of my fellow editors online, but have met almost none of them in person. It would be good to increase the feeling of community amongst editors so we can all work together towards a common goal.
arthurohara wrote:I would also like to see Ireland become self managed and am working towards that eventuality.
This has crossed my mind, although I'm not sure if we have enough active editors to self-manage ourselves. Maybe we do, however - I wonder how other small countries have managed.

You say you're working towards that eventuality - can you share what you've discovered so far and how we might go about becoming self managed?

++David
davidg666
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message

Post by helvete666
Welcome on board, I've been here just about a year and try (sometimes fail) to correct and maintain the roads on my commute to work and around my local area, also am trying to map out the smaller roads in Mayo where I holiday. I use waze for nearly every journey, to the wonder of the passengers who can't figure out why i need it to travel to such a mundane and known place such as "the shops".

+1 on the idea of a get together :)
CTCNetwork wrote:
I think I know what you're getting at, there are more and more L sign being placed on the countryside roads
helvete666
Send a message

Post by irishGmcG
Hi Pip, nice to talk to you. I actually live in Northern Ireland but do must of my driving down South, mainly Westmeath, Longford and Roscommon. At the minute i am mapping streets within a town, and working my way out to my 2 mile limit. Currently sitting at 6000 edits, looking forward to moving up the ranks and fill in the blanks on the map.
irishGmcG
Send a message

Post by seriousarsonist
Welcome to the wonderful world of Waze!

I'm Pip, while strictly not an Ireland editor I do hang out here in the forums and look after 'the north'.

It's great to have another editor onboard as Ireland needs a lot work still, especially out in the sticks so just pick an area and go for it! If you need any help, or advice just ask, I'm sure myself or the proper CAs will be able and willing! (They'll be along shortly to say Hi)

Don't forget to check out the Wiki pages, and you might want to peruse the UK bits and pieces too, might give you a few pointers not mentioned here.

Great to meet you!
Pip

Pip
Level 5 Area Manager - North of Ireland
Tapatalk on iPhone
seriousarsonist
Send a message