Post by leocylau
gettingthere wrote:The merger process and the points process have been both re-written from scratch and will start running in about two weeks!
cool 8-) two weeks...can't wait for it... ;)
leocylau
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Answers: 3
Send a message
UK WikiUK Forum

'For I am not seeking my own good but the good of many, so that they may be saved.' 1 Cor. 10:33b

GC•Newcastle upon Tyne AM•HK CM•Localisation Coordinator

Post by maantje76
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:Originally posted by argus-cronos:

Thanks Fej. We vote for a stable infrastructure instead of a 24h cycle, points and less important things.
Agree with this, stability is much more important. I think (and hope) this announcement is about both NA and World servers?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
maantje76
Coordinators
Coordinators
Send a message

Post by mapcat
Waze staff, PLEASE keep the communication coming. Regular updates are essential when your editors are responsible for informing and reassuring the general user population.
mapcat
Send a message
CM, USA/Canada ∙ iPhone 5 ∙ iOS 7.1

Post by mapcat
Any coincidence that status.waze.com has been down for at least a day?
mapcat
Send a message
CM, USA/Canada ∙ iPhone 5 ∙ iOS 7.1

Post by ONEMailman
This was posted today at http://status.waze.com

Hopefully this will address the problems we all have experienced lately.
Mapdate October 24 2011
Hi everyone,

This is where we stand:

As mentioned in the previous post - tiles building processes are on hold until the begining of next week due to the enormous load we are experiencing with the current featuring of version 3.0. and in order to enable us to preserve the real-time service, while delaying the off-line related services until the surge is reduced to a more manageable rate.

International server:

Tiles are currently updated as to Oct 11. The process will run again in the begining of next week.

Merger: Your driving sessions in the archive and in the dashboard are updated until Oct 22

US + Canada server:

Tiles are currently updated as to Oct 18. The process will run again in the begining of next week.

Merger: Your driving sessions in the archive and in the dashboard are updated until Oct 16. The next process will start today and will be done in 3-4 days. When it's done - the merger will be updated until Oct 24 (today).

Points: There a delay of two days approximately. Tomorrow it should be back to be updated on a daily basis.

In case you didn't see my comment on one of my previous messages, let me say again.

We are really sorry for all these delays and know it's very annoying for you guys.
We are currently working around the clock to change completely the way our processes work due to the huge amounts of data that we need to process which results from the fact that we're growing quickly (and it's good of course).
I know that this is not great now but it will be dramatically improved.
Again, we thank you for your patient and we are doing our best to make things happen as soon as we can.

Thanks !

Shirli
ONEMailman
Send a message
Last edited by ONEMailman on Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by ONEMailman
Has anyone seen updates yet? It's now Wednesday and I haven't seen a thing. I know they said they would roll them out over 3-4 days. Just curious if the updates have really begun. Here's hoping.
ONEMailman
Send a message

Post by psalvitti
Hello, new user here. I realize that bolstering the infrastructure does indeed trump having clean 24h cycles *but* as a new user I have to state that my experience hasn't been stellar. I've submitted numerous updates that I'd LOVE to edit and set right BUT because I haven't seen an update since Oct. 18th, I cannot do this.

Is Waze a great app? Yes, it has saved me time and aggravation in a couple of instances; and No, it still indicates routes that are dead ends, one-way streets, do not enter and, most egregiously, illegal turns (e.g., across divided highways, through parking lots, etc. -- "yes" I've indicated them as map updates during my drive.)

I firmly believe in the power of the community to make this a FANTASTIC app ... but I need to see some updates otherwise contributions stop and we don't feel as if the information provided is helping to build a better navigation system. I am patient (working in the IT industry makes one so) BUT there has to be some middle ground between stabilizing the infrastructure AND update intake. Still, keep up the effort!

Cheers
psalvitti
Send a message

Post by RallyChris
Maybe we need to talk to it in our nice baby voice.

"Who's a good little server? You are... Yes you are." :)
RallyChris
Send a message
Portland, OR / USA - Mega Mapper
Wiki: Area Manager | Map Editing | Known Issues List
Official Suggestion Websites (hosted by uservoice):
Waze Client | Waze Website / Editor
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/d/d9/W ... 00k_5c.png

Post by rlpl
"Redesign and development" means to me that they are going to create the new system from scratch. Usually this is a good idea when the old system is full of bugs and difficult to maintain. But why did they halt everything until the next system is released? I know that it takes the CPU power so let the updates are less frequent but let them appear finally. If everything is halted then what is running? Halting the new map updates discourages me from editing. If we can't edit the map (OK, we can, but this will not change the maps in our devices) then how can we contribute to this project? The Fej said it would take several weeks, we all know how it is in these businesses: this means that there will be no updates for at least half a year and then at least the same amount of time until the system becomes stable.
rlpl
Send a message
My previous login name was rl_pl.

Post by rlpl
tiles building processes are on hold until the begining of next week
Fine, this is much better than the original announce which said something like "tiles building is halted until it is redesigned and redeveloped which should take several weeks." This is what I suggested: yes, please redesign and redevelop the system, please slow down the current processes if they take too much CPU but let them run, maybe slowly and only at idle but let the new map eventually appear.
rlpl
Send a message
My previous login name was rl_pl.