[Script] WME Junction Angle Info

Discussion for the unofficial, community-developed addons, extensions and scripts built for the Waze Map Editor.

The official index of these tools is the Community Plugins, Extensions and Tools wiki page.

Moderators: Unholy, bextein, Glodenox, JustinS83

Forum rules
Discussion for the unofficial, community-developed addons, extensions and scripts built for the Waze Map Editor.

DO NOT START a new thread unless it is about a new idea. Keep discussion of existing tools within the main thread for that tool.

The official index of these tools is the Community Plugins, Extensions and Tools wiki page.

Re: [script] WME Junction Angle Info

Postby PesachZ » Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:28 am

milkboy wrote:1.8.3 being published on AMO and Chrome store (should autoupdate for Greasemonkey/Tampermonkey users).. Extension in Chrome store will probably be available soon, while the Firefox addon will be enabled once reviewed =)

Added a note-to-self-or-anyone-else-interested about the U-turns, and amended directionality issue with bidirectional support.

Re: your U-turn note. The rules are:
Parallel one way roads
within <=15m,
which are at the tip 180° ±5° relative to each other.

Sent using Tapatalk for Android 4.4.2
PesachZ
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
 
Posts: 4511
Joined: Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:51 am
Location: NY, USA (also NJ sometimes) {GC}
Has thanked: 1998 times
Been thanked: 2361 times

Re: [script] WME Junction Angle Info

Postby Olestas » Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:00 am

Why <=15m? U-turns only work if over or equal to 16m. 100%.
[ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ]

GC: Latvia
Coordinator: Latvia
Country manager (Full coverage): Latvia/Lithuania/Belarus/Russia/Ukraine
Olestas
Coordinators
Coordinators
 
Posts: 6359
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:08 pm
Location: Latvia
Has thanked: 3482 times
Been thanked: 2366 times

Re: [script] WME Junction Angle Info

Postby james890526 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:45 am

Yeah, unless you use the Toolbox ruler to measure the exact length in with decimals. Numbers will be rounded up :D
Best regards,
Zhong Zhen (james890526)

[ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ]

Waze Malaysia [ img ] [ img ]
james890526
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
 
Posts: 230
Joined: Sun Jun 22, 2014 7:00 pm
Has thanked: 52 times
Been thanked: 36 times

Re: [script] WME Junction Angle Info

Postby PesachZ » Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:16 pm

Olestas wrote:Why <=15m? U-turns only work if over or equal to 16m. 100%.


james890526 wrote:Yeah, unless you use the Toolbox ruler to measure the exact length in with decimals. Numbers will be rounded up :D

I meant >=15
This came direct from staff, but use 16 unless you have exact decimals as mentioned to account for rounding.

Sent using Tapatalk for Android 4.4.2
PesachZ
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
 
Posts: 4511
Joined: Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:51 am
Location: NY, USA (also NJ sometimes) {GC}
Has thanked: 1998 times
Been thanked: 2361 times

Re: [script] WME Junction Angle Info

Postby milkboy » Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:16 pm

wlodek76 wrote:In this intersection we have keep left and keep right in LiveMap, but JAI shows best continuation :?
Link to this real place: https://www.waze.com/pl/editor/?env=row ... =104888227


One route shows "gray" as in not applicable for routing, so the only one left is then considered BC. I'll check why the left one is not correctly detected :shock:
Nexus 5 | CM 13 (Android 6.0.1 nightly)
[ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ]
Škoda Octavia III Combi 2.0 TDI RS DSG 2014 [ img ]
milkboy
Map Editor - level 3
Map Editor - level 3
 
Posts: 107
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:24 am
Location: Europe/Finland/Helsinki
Has thanked: 11 times
Been thanked: 123 times

Re: [script] WME Junction Angle Info

Postby milkboy » Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:57 pm

milkboy wrote:One route shows "gray" as in not applicable for routing, so the only one left is then considered BC. I'll check why the left one is not correctly detected :shock:


Meh.. There is a restriction from 2015-06-01 to 2016-12-31, which is incorrectly detected as a current restriction.. Need to add date range checks also =)
Nexus 5 | CM 13 (Android 6.0.1 nightly)
[ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ]
Škoda Octavia III Combi 2.0 TDI RS DSG 2014 [ img ]
milkboy
Map Editor - level 3
Map Editor - level 3
 
Posts: 107
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:24 am
Location: Europe/Finland/Helsinki
Has thanked: 11 times
Been thanked: 123 times

Re: [script] WME Junction Angle Info

Postby Olestas » Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:24 pm

Hmm.. strange.
JAI shows that this junctions all straight drives will be Keep, but they all are BC.
https://www.waze.com/editor/?env=row&lo ... =167182298
[ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ]

GC: Latvia
Coordinator: Latvia
Country manager (Full coverage): Latvia/Lithuania/Belarus/Russia/Ukraine
Olestas
Coordinators
Coordinators
 
Posts: 6359
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:08 pm
Location: Latvia
Has thanked: 3482 times
Been thanked: 2366 times

Re: [script] WME Junction Angle Info

Postby qwaletee » Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:15 pm

Sure. Former UI designer here :)

If you place the instruction indicator centered on a line, then you can rotate the text to be perpendicular to the line, and stack two instructions. You would end up with three "rows" within your container:

  • Line closest to junction - directions from "this" segment toward the "other segment" coming out of the junction.
  • Line containing the turn angle.
  • Line furthest from junction - directions from the "other segment" to this segment

Bear in mind that road geometry will complicate your placement and orientation. On a segment with no geonodes, this is no big deal. Where there are geonodes, if you can place the container between the junction and the first geonode, also a no-brainer. Where you can't that becomes problematic. I would suggest that for such cases, draw using call-out style instead, but using the same orientation you would use if drawing directly on the segment. Draw the callout line to either a spot that is a set number of pixels away from the junction (if that falls before the first geonode), or to the geonode itself otherwise.

milkboy wrote:
qwaletee wrote:But even with a single circle, you can display a short version of the reverse direction in the same circle. Might be time to start adopting little arrows (like Waze does) instead of the coloring and < and >

The whole idea about supporting bidirectional information has been lurking in my mind for a longer time. Also, that would probably mean that it should be possible to select segments in any order (like a-c-b instead of a-b-c or c-b-a as you have to do now to make sure the information is displayed for the direction you wanted). The biggest issue is probably how to output the info, so it's perfectly clear what it means. Any UI designers/experts/wannabes around to give ideas? Or even better, make the code for it ;)

Arrows (←↑→↓ ↔↕) could possibly be used, with a marker on each side of the road ( when instructions would differ, taking into account the left/right hand traffic)..

On a side note, I'd probably need to refactor some of the code to make it both faster and easier to implement changes...
US Champ / Country Manager | State Manager NY, NJ, PA, CT, MA, RI, VT, ME, NH | Northeast ARC | Mentor | Responding to Map Issues
qwaletee
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs
 
Posts: 2938
Joined: Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:42 am
Location: NYC Metro - Active throughout NE^2 (Northeast & New England)
Has thanked: 235 times
Been thanked: 1135 times

Re: [script] WME Junction Angle Info

Postby PesachZ » Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:43 pm

qwaletee wrote:Sure. Former UI designer here :)

If you place the instruction indicator centered on a line, then you can rotate the text to be perpendicular to the line, and stack two instructions. You would end up with three "rows" within your container:

  • Line closest to junction - directions from "this" segment toward the "other segment" coming out of the junction.
  • Line containing the turn angle.
  • Line furthest from junction - directions from the "other segment" to this segment

Bear in mind that road geometry will complicate your placement and orientation. On a segment with no geonodes, this is no big deal. Where there are geonodes, if you can place the container between the junction and the first geonode, also a no-brainer. Where you can't that becomes problematic. I would suggest that for such cases, draw using call-out style instead, but using the same orientation you would use if drawing directly on the segment. Draw the callout line to either a spot that is a set number of pixels away from the junction (if that falls before the first geonode), or to the geonode itself otherwise.

milkboy wrote:
qwaletee wrote:But even with a single circle, you can display a short version of the reverse direction in the same circle. Might be time to start adopting little arrows (like Waze does) instead of the coloring and < and >

The whole idea about supporting bidirectional information has been lurking in my mind for a longer time. Also, that would probably mean that it should be possible to select segments in any order (like a-c-b instead of a-b-c or c-b-a as you have to do now to make sure the information is displayed for the direction you wanted). The biggest issue is probably how to output the info, so it's perfectly clear what it means. Any UI designers/experts/wannabes around to give ideas? Or even better, make the code for it ;)

Arrows (←↑→↓ [LEFT RIGHT ARROW][UP DOWN ARROW]) could possibly be used, with a marker on each side of the road ( when instructions would differ, taking into account the left/right hand traffic)..

On a side note, I'd probably need to refactor some of the code to make it both faster and easier to implement changes...

If you tie to the first geonode you get stuck by micro doglegs. You'd have to ignore any geonodes within xx pixels of the junction

Sent using Tapatalk for Android 4.4.2
PesachZ
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
 
Posts: 4511
Joined: Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:51 am
Location: NY, USA (also NJ sometimes) {GC}
Has thanked: 1998 times
Been thanked: 2361 times

Re: [script] WME Junction Angle Info

Postby taco909 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 3:13 am

The comments on u-turns seemed a bit confusing to me... To clarify (as I understand the logic)

Crossover segment >=16m U-Turn will be routed
Crossover segment <=15m U-Turn will be routed if the sum of the approach and departure angles are outside of the range of 180 +/- 5 (have also heard 5%, but we confirmed consistent u-turn routing at 185)
Crossover segment <=15m U-Turn will be penalized (routed only under extreme penalty) if the sum of the approach and departure angles are inside of the range of 180 +/- 5 (have also heard 5%, but we confirmed consistent u-turn routing at 185)

So u-turns can "work" with any length crossover segment depending on the geometry.


Personally, even with the measuring tool and JAI, I treat the 15/16m issue the same as 45 degree angles.
I avoid angles between 40 and 50
I avoid crossover segments of 15m and use 14m or 16m.
-- Rich
taco909
Map Editor - Level 4
Map Editor - Level 4
 
Posts: 2230
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2014 4:05 am
Location: Los Angeles Area
Has thanked: 716 times
Been thanked: 646 times

PreviousNext

Return to Addons, Extensions, and Scripts

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot]