Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
Post by sketch
kentsmith9 wrote:As for runways, I have always questioned the true purpose from Waze perspective, but assuming they want to market to pilots one day or we just want to see the airport as a landmark, we just need to be sure Waze will not include a runway as a routable segment once it appears in the client. Otherwise we will get routed to the back of the airport fence just because the runways are closer to the airport marker than the roadways in front of the terminal.
I assume it's been reconsidered as serving a sort of landmark purpose. Same as railroads — both were removed from the client a long time ago.

I believe the technical reason was that the client had no way of drawing a segment that wasn't also necessarily selectable and, at least in some way, navigable. A big change came to the livemap recently, and I believe it's safe to assume a similar big change will come to the client map in time — in fact, we were told as much by Waze staff. I assume with such a big change to the map will come a big change in the way the map is rendered, including the ability to render lines without having them also selectable and somehow navigable. Maybe I'm not as skeptical as others, but I don't believe Waze would be reintroducing railroads and runways into the client without ensuring that they are not navigable, considering how many complaints we used to get, forever ago.

Since railroads and runways are already displayed on the livemap, maybe we could build a rig and see what the routing server does. Although I'm not sure it's fair to assume that the routing server has been updated to meet the specifications of a client version that may still be months away.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
ALL US EDITORS READ: New USA road type guidance
the guidance linked above is now almost a decade old, but the link gives me a laugh every time i see it, so it stays (:
assistant regional coordinator • south central region • usa
waze global champ • beta leader • and more • new orleans

bye bye fuelly badge! i'm an EV guy now!

Post by sketch
See the post above yours. Although I don't know what "FAA code" is.

The IATA three-letter code is the one familiar to consumers. People fly to "SFO" or "DFW" or "LAX" or "JFK". For that reason, consensus is to use the IATA code if it exists, and the ICAO code (I believe) if it does not.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
the guidance linked above is now almost a decade old, but the link gives me a laugh every time i see it, so it stays (:

Post by sketch
I don't think a "soft standard" is necessary or desirable here. The masses think of airports by their names and by their three-letter codes. Waze is a consumer app. Use the three-letter code if it exists, otherwise use the other one (because not every airport has a three-letter code).

Consistency is still important and we should strive for it wherever possible, especially where it's so easy to achieve.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
slash77777 wrote:Need to FIX airport locations!

Enter the 3 letter code, MSP = Minneapolis St Paul airport, It should provide the address of the terminal where a normal passenger...99.99995% of Wazers want to go there.

Currently MSP leads one to 4300 Glumack Dr, St. Paul MN - This is the correct address, but the WAZE map does not have the right location. I think one can get to the control tower maybe. Leads to a restricted road. This is NOT useful!
Our guidance says restricted roads inside the airport should not be mapped. That MIGHT fix it.

Sadly Google went on a crusade to 'fix' all their airport locations a certain way that can still break Waze directions even if the map is edited perfectly. I had to "hack" the map at MSY (New Orleans Intl) to provide correct directions, cause Google locked their pin at the center of airport grounds rather than at the terminal where it used to be.

Solution for users in the know: click "search" instead of using the instant result, and use one from the Waze tab.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
I honestly wouldn't mind mapping taxiways (using the runway/taxiway type) if only we could get consensus. I think adding taxiways would make airports more readily identifiable as such, but it's no big deal either way. It'd be nice to have a thicker line for runways and a thinner one for taxiways, but it's nothing near necessary.
qwaletee wrote:Should this topic remain open and separate from
viewtopic.php?f=276&t=85397
Yes. The linked topic concerns drivable (and public) roads. Runways are not a "drivable" type in Waze (though I suppose they are technically so), and they certainly aren't "public".
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
Runways are bright yellow in the app, and if the comments in the skin file are to be believed, they are intended to be alternating-yellow-and-black lines. (There's a similar comment about cross-hatching railroads.) So I wouldn't worry about that.

Taxiways do reduce the distinctiveness of runways, so I agree with their exclusion. I just think it would be nice to have both, with runways painted with thicker lines. Adding taxiways increases the distinctiveness of airports. But that's just talk—I certainly don't expect an additional type just for that.

Internal roads in airports should never be mapped with any drivable type whether they're taxiways or not. That's been an overarching theme through this thread. Although admittedly I'm not sure what you mean by a "dual use taxiway"; if it really is a taxiway also used as a public road, or as a small airport's parking lot, then that's fine.

Generally I would just say "don't map taxiways at all". In your linked example, though, I would agree that it should be mapped with the runway/taxiway type, since a car might face an oncoming plane there.

sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
Runways are displayed in 3.8.0 in the default day scheme only.

sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
pumrum wrote:Given this, unless the search engine is modified to omit runway segments from the result, I think we should backtrack slightly and name the runways simply "Runway 18-36" and omit the identifier.
As I've said before, I think we should do this regardless of search. The IATA (or whatever) code is already visible on the airport's area place. Incorporation thereof onto runways is always redundant.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
I'm going to resurrect this again. We brought up arguments but never made a change. I do not believe it is proper to include the airport code within the runway name. Also, the numbers in a runway number are, everywhere I've seen them, separated by a slash, not a hyphen.

I propose a change from, e.g., "MSY Runway 10-28", first introduced here and never changed, to, e.g., "Runway 10/28".
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
tonestertm wrote:If we're going to name them at all, I agree that we should definitely remove the airport ID, and convert to slashes (confirmed with an Air Traffic Controller that slashes are standard naming).
AFAIK there is consensus that runway naming is optional, the same as railroad naming. I'm fine with that.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message