Post by doctorkb
If that's the case, the reasonable person would find out quickly.

You should have received a warning from your rental car agency not to use that road.

Also, when there is almost nobody on it, you should be asking why.

The bottom line is that fixing it (as you're proposing) breaks it.
doctorkb
Answers: 4
Send a message

Post by doctorkb
I haven't gone from Hana to Ulupalakua, but did the Wailuku to Honokowai route about 5 years ago. It wasn't half as bad as some of the bits around Ulupalakua... At least it wasn't then.
doctorkb
Send a message

Post by doctorkb
Deadbirddog: you're so far off base here.

YOU need to review the waze guidelines. The routes we are talking about are all signed, numbered state highways, which puts them in the mH class.
doctorkb
Send a message

Post by doctorkb
deadbirddog wrote:It was my impression that 340 was a county route, not a state route. Thanks for the snarky reply though.
Dude... you started pointing people at documentation without reason.

A simple search would have found you that 340 is a state route, which meets the Waze standard for mH.

Nevermind that you have several local editors, including a senior editor telling you why it is that way and why it needs to stay that way.
No attempt at a good deed ever goes unpunished, especially with Waze. By your own admission you've never driven 340. The two people posting here who have driven it report it as a dangerous, one lane dirt/Gravel track with sheer unguarded drop offs.
You actually misread. I HAVE done 340. I have NOT done the entire 31 from Hana to Ulupaluakua.

340 was hardly dangerous when I did it ~5 years ago. It was entirely paved, almost entirely two-lane, and I don't recall any concerning dropoffs.
Do whatever you want. What I've gotten for describing my actual experience there is grief and aggravation. I'm truly sorry I even bothered mentioning anything. It's not on my conscience if someone gets hurt out there. I did my best to bring what I consider a danger to the attention of people who could so something about it. If you guys don't care then neither do I.
What you're doing is arguing -- if you took this road and had that "grief and aggravation", then I would posit you should give up your drivers license!

The road's concerning parts do start very quickly at both ends -- you should have found somewhere to turn around and go back... and then trust ANY nav system (including Waze) as well as ANYONE's advice and go the normal way.
doctorkb
Send a message

Post by doctorkb
When your goal is to only argue and try to tell people they're doing things wrong (when you're clearly incorrect), yes, please stay out of it.

If you want to discuss and suggest, that's different, but we gave you very clear reasons as to why it was set, and you wanted to continue to argue.
doctorkb
Send a message

Post by doctorkb
The fact that it is a numbered state highway overrides the FC, per Waze rules...
doctorkb
Send a message

Post by doctorkb
That is an interesting source, however, the issue of maintainer isn't in question.

It is HI-340, a state signed and numbered highway.

Worth noting the comments on there about the quality, though... It has improved over the years.
doctorkb
Send a message

Post by doctorkb
How would that legal issue that was linked result here? We've marked a legitimate highway as a highway. It isn't marked a freeway, nor does waze suggest it as a route to West Maui (as far as I've seen or heard).
doctorkb
Send a message

Post by doctorkb
That is interesting that you produced a route using it -- I have never seen one come, and I've tried.

That said, having driven on roads signed US-xx on the mainland (eg Kentucky), I can tell you that HI-340 or MC-340 (whatever you wish to call it) is safer and in better shape than some of these US-xx highways on the mainland.
doctorkb
Send a message

Post by doctorkb
Let me see if I can find it again. There almost certainly wasn't 18-feet of asphalt, and while not a cliff, the blind humps were concerning.
doctorkb
Send a message