Fixing Reverse Connections (RevCons)

Moderator: Unholy

Re: Fixing Reverse Connections (RevCons)

Postby AndyPoms » Sun Jun 21, 2015 11:22 am

Just because they are ignored in the routing engine now doesn't mean that they will be in the future. Waze has made changes in the past that have had unexpected results. RevCons are still errors on the map that should be corrected, they just aren't critical fixes that are needed right now.
[ img ]
Waze Champ & Forum Moderator
USA Country Manager
Senior Area Manager: State of Connecticut
Wiki: Editing | Best Practices | FAQ
AndyPoms
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps

Postby bgodette » Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:49 am

Confirmed with test rig that RevCon is ignored as far as penalties I could apply to cause it to use them, so at this point I believe in the default routing algo (Fastest) that they don't exist. There still may be issues for users using Shortest until that algo is updated.
bgodette
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby bgodette » Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:11 pm

CBenson wrote:Agreed, but that is what has been in the wiki since at least 2011 and we have never settled on changing it.
What's worse is there's two objects in the data model with Junction in their name; junctions (roundabouts) and bigJunctions (Junction Boxes), neither of which are the node objects which are at the end of segments and everything that interacts with those objects calls them node.
bgodette
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby CBenson » Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:00 pm

sketch wrote:
voludu2 wrote:
. . . via a [[Glossary#junction|junction]] . . .

I know this is not related, and I know I haven't been around as much, so I guess I must have missed this discussion...

Doubt it, the discussion has been ongoing since at least 2011 - https://www.waze.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=276&t=103908
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps

Postby CBenson » Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:34 pm

Agreed, but that is what has been in the wiki since at least 2011 and we have never settled on changing it.
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps

Postby deeploz » Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:01 am

Fredo-p wrote:Here's a question. If RevCons are not a thing anymore, but Toolbox shows and offers to fix it, what exactly is Toolbox "fixing"?

It is fixing the allowed turn that is precisely in opposite direction with the traffic flow or the directionality of the adjacent segment, i.e. restricting this turn because is does not make sense.

This fixing seems to be now superficial because these revcons seem to not being any longer considered by the routing algorithm. So fixed or not, it does not impair the route.
As it does not make sense to "fix" something that is not impairing the functioning, the new guideline is that Editors should not fix them anymore.
deeploz
PartnerCoordinator
PartnerCoordinator

Postby Fredo-p » Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:09 am

tonytx05 wrote:
So as someone relatively new to this, why are these no longer an issue?

There has been a long standing misconception/debate about RevCons. According to Waze, they do not pose a problem anymore. HOWEVER, there are still some that belive they are still an issue. Unless that confusion has already been solved and we can go ahead and update the page about RevCons are a thing of the past.

RevCons. AKA the immaculate misconception.
[ img ][ img ]
Arizona Wiki | @Waze_Arizona Twitter
Verizon Samsung Galaxy S8+

Fredo-p
State Manager
State Manager

Postby Fredo-p » Tue Jun 16, 2015 3:30 am

Here's a question. If RevCons are not a thing anymore, but Toolbox shows and offers to fix it, what exactly is Toolbox "fixing"?

Also, I like the writeup so far.
[ img ][ img ]

Fredo-p
State Manager
State Manager

Postby Fredo-p » Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:31 pm

voludu2 wrote:The discussion of what to do about toolbox can happen on the toolbox topic.

I thought it did. That's where I found out about the RevCon confusion.
[ img ][ img ]

Fredo-p
State Manager
State Manager

Postby iluvstlucia » Thu Jun 25, 2015 6:56 am

PesachZ wrote:
Fredo-p wrote:Here's a question. If RevCons are not a thing anymore, but Toolbox shows and offers to fix it, what exactly is Toolbox "fixing"?

Also, I like the writeup so far.

RevCons are still "a thing" in the sense that they continue to exist. They are no longer a concern since the routing server is able to compensate for them, and staff has said "not to worry about them, they won't affect routing".

Sent using Tapatalk for Android

This would be the same staff that said labeling a Place as a "Gas Station" would suppress "Missing Road" map problems?

May I be so bold as to suggest that we need to fix/squash them - with extreme prejudice - ASAP. Revcons may not be a problem to staff in the immediate future, but we really have no way of telling what will happen when the conditions change surrounding a revcon... a connection (or connections) labeled one-way around a one-way become two-way, or future staffers wonder why previous staffers built some sort of algorithm that seems unnecessarily complicated...
Just do it right the first (or as soon as possible after the revcon was found) time , and we can sleep easier knowing Wazers won't be led down - literally - the wrong road.
iluvstlucia
Area Manager
Area Manager

Next

Return to Wiki Updates and Discussion