Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!

Fixing Reverse Connections (RevCons)

Post by
I'd like to recommend that the page on reverse connectivity be updated to include a recommendation on how to best fix this revcons. Just a quick explanation of how to select the node, disallow all turns, then allow all turns should fix the problem, but isn't intuitive to new editors.

Wiki Link

POSTER_ID:3777702

Send a message

Post by Inactive user -1697532064-
We can fix this right now in the USA page. Global doesn't appear to be maintained, so probably will just stay wrong
Inactive user -1697532064-
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Send a message
Galaxy S20 FE on Mint
Retired SM Ohio
Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.
-John 8:32

Post by AndyPoms
Just because they are ignored in the routing engine now doesn't mean that they will be in the future. Waze has made changes in the past that have had unexpected results. RevCons are still errors on the map that should be corrected, they just aren't critical fixes that are needed right now.
AndyPoms
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/f/ff/W ... 00k_6c.png
Waze Champ & Forum Moderator
USA Country Manager
Senior Area Manager: State of Connecticut
Wiki: Editing | Best Practices | FAQ

Post by bgodette
Confirmed with test rig that RevCon is ignored as far as penalties I could apply to cause it to use them, so at this point I believe in the default routing algo (Fastest) that they don't exist. There still may be issues for users using Shortest until that algo is updated.
bgodette
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by bgodette
CBenson wrote:Agreed, but that is what has been in the wiki since at least 2011 and we have never settled on changing it.
What's worse is there's two objects in the data model with Junction in their name; junctions (roundabouts) and bigJunctions (Junction Boxes), neither of which are the node objects which are at the end of segments and everything that interacts with those objects calls them node.
bgodette
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by CBenson
sketch wrote:
voludu2 wrote:
. . . via a [[Glossary#junction|junction]] . . .
I know this is not related, and I know I haven't been around as much, so I guess I must have missed this discussion...
Doubt it, the discussion has been ongoing since at least 2011 - viewtopic.php?f=276&t=103908
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902

Post by CBenson
Agreed, but that is what has been in the wiki since at least 2011 and we have never settled on changing it.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902

Post by deeploz
Fredo-p wrote:Here's a question. If RevCons are not a thing anymore, but Toolbox shows and offers to fix it, what exactly is Toolbox "fixing"?
It is fixing the allowed turn that is precisely in opposite direction with the traffic flow or the directionality of the adjacent segment, i.e. restricting this turn because is does not make sense.

This fixing seems to be now superficial because these revcons seem to not being any longer considered by the routing algorithm. So fixed or not, it does not impair the route.
As it does not make sense to "fix" something that is not impairing the functioning, the new guideline is that Editors should not fix them anymore.
deeploz
Emeritus Local Champ
Emeritus Local Champ
Send a message

Post by Fredo-p
tonytx05 wrote:
So as someone relatively new to this, why are these no longer an issue?
There has been a long standing misconception/debate about RevCons. According to Waze, they do not pose a problem anymore. HOWEVER, there are still some that belive they are still an issue. Unless that confusion has already been solved and we can go ahead and update the page about RevCons are a thing of the past.

RevCons. AKA the immaculate misconception.
Fredo-p
Send a message

Arizona Wiki | @Waze_Arizona Twitter
Verizon Samsung Galaxy S8+

Post by Fredo-p
Here's a question. If RevCons are not a thing anymore, but Toolbox shows and offers to fix it, what exactly is Toolbox "fixing"?

Also, I like the writeup so far.
Fredo-p
Send a message

Post by Fredo-p
voludu2 wrote:The discussion of what to do about toolbox can happen on the toolbox topic.
I thought it did. That's where I found out about the RevCon confusion.
Fredo-p
Send a message