Post by voludu2
i agree with sketch and pumrum. The policy should be to leave the airport name off the runways. Waze is for cars. We don't want drivers coming up with that in search.
voludu2
Send a message

Post by voludu2
Consensus seems to be:
* Naming of runways remains optional
* If runways are named, then the guideline must be: use "Runway", followed by the standard runway identifier used by the airport.
** NO airport name or code
** Runway codes are found on FAA runway maps and written on the runways themselves. They follow the pattern ##[LCR]/##[LCR]. The second two-digit number will always be 18 + the first two-digit number. L, C, R are used in some runway codes, but not in all.
** Examples: "Runway 10/28", "Runway 9L/27R", "Runway 03C/21C", "Runway 03L/21R", "Runway 03R/21L"

Amended for clarity.
reference: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Runway
voludu2
Send a message
Last edited by voludu2 on Fri Mar 13, 2015 6:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post by voludu2
I have amended the above for clarity.

USA Runway names should follow the standard names used on the runways by the airports. These are found on FAA airport diagrams for all major airports. This can be recognized as ##[LCR]/##[LCR], but the important and simple thing is to just use the runway code actually used by the airport.

Examples which could occur at the same airport include "03L/21R", "03C/21C", "03R/21L"
voludu2
Send a message

Post by voludu2
See: viewtopic.php?f=276&t=89309&p=1055650#p1055650

The most important point is to use the code as wrtten on the runway or the FAA airport diagram./ Understanding the meaning of the codes is secondary -- that information should be available from a reliable source.
voludu2
Send a message

Post by voludu2
Back in October, there was no objection. Probably Could have been done then.
- the runway designation will usually be visible on any paved runway, unless a cloud or plane gets in the way. Any editor interested in naming runways is probably interested in finding out what they are called. Actually, anyone that interested probably doesn't need to be told where to find airport information.
- it is acceptable to name a runway according to this guideline. But is it necessary? Is "Runway" better than no name at all? Or are both "Runway" and none acceptable?
If there is agreement in that final point, I'll hit the edit link and start typing.
voludu2
Send a message

Post by voludu2
* If a runway is drawn, it must be named. The name must begin with "Runway"
* The only other thing which may be added to the runway name is the runway designation. This is not required. If it is used, it must be correct.
** Runways have two directions, and a different designation in each direction. The format is: lower-number designation, "/", higher number designation. Examples: "09L/27R", "3G/21G", "07T/25T"
* Example Runway names: "Runway". "Runway 07T/25T".

* Things which MUST NOT be added to the runaway name:
** airport name
** airport code
** ANYTHING wazers are likely to use to search for the airport.
voludu2
Send a message

Post by voludu2
So. If we were to follow the typical WME rule of "map what they see on the sign", then we would go with the hyphen.

Since individuals should not be wazing WHILE driving past those particular signs, I don't suggest we put very much more effort into the discussion. If anyone is hearing those runway names in TTS, they are using the app inappropriately or else there is something more important rather wrong with the waze map in that vicinity.

I agree with DwarfLord that "Runway" is the only essential thing.
I propose that, if we have to pick a standard for optional inclusion of runway designation, we go with "how it is painted on the tarmac"

So I would amend my above "/" to "-"
voludu2
Send a message

Post by voludu2
Sounds like a request to get that in there -- how to name airports -- a discussion about the Places page.
Which is something quite different from this discussion of runways and other road types at airports.
voludu2
Send a message