Make your voice heard! Take the Annual Editors Community Survey now! Dismiss
Discussion for the unofficial, community-developed addons, extensions and scripts built for the Waze Map Editor.

The official index of these tools is the Community Plugins, Extensions and Tools wiki page.
Post by bart99gt
Adding my .02 on the simplify segment tool.

I did not use it much, but every once in a while, it was very useful for cleaning up un-edited basemap.

For instance, I recently took a trip up to Alaska, and ran into a bunch of issues around Seward. Going into WME, it was readily apparent that this map had never been touched. Turns not set, road geometry all wrong, etc...

Turns out this is one of those areas where WME stuck two geonodes on each straight section of street (I'm sure most editors are well familiar with them, they're just wonderful when trying to align streets on a grid!). In this instance, using the simplify segment tool is a VERY useful way of cleaning up these geonodes while retaining curves, etc and not having to click each and every segment to remove the useless geonodes with the "D" key or clear road geometry tool (which again, you have to be VERY careful with lest you delete a curve!) In short, used properly, it can be useful.
bart99gt
MAR LAM (W DC Suburbs)
MS/AR/Atlanta Metro AM

Post by bart99gt
karlcr9911 wrote:
bart99gt wrote:
Fix: Suppress unneeded junctions skips junctions with u-turns or forbidden turns (#208)
Anyone with a MacBook can attest this is VERY frustrating because of the lack of a true delete key on the keyboard.
Use fn+delete and it acts just like a normal delete key in WME.
Thanks, I'm kinda new to the whole Mac thing, my wife got a new MacBook about two months ago and I got her old one to replace my aging laptop.

Even so, it is still inefficient compared to the old functionality of the tool.
bart99gt
MAR LAM (W DC Suburbs)
MS/AR/Atlanta Metro AM

Post by bart99gt
taco909 wrote:
PesachZ wrote:If we are comfortable with the facts that these extra nodes have no negative effect on servers, performance, routing, or visual appearance in the live map/client, then what are we trying to fix? If there is no discernable benefit to removing these extraneous geometry nodes, then why is it even considered "a fix"?
When a road is paved and composed of 20 junction nodes and 60 geometry nodes, it is a lot easier to remove the extra junctions and then remove the excess geonodes than it is to have to hover the mouse over every single undesired node.
Yes, that step is still needed, but it's a lot easier when the TB function removes 50 of those 80 nodes for you.

All a moot point because as of right now, TB is completely useless on my system.
I've completely uninstalled, restarted the browser, and run a fresh install.
First reload of the browser, it comes up.
subsequent reloads, the toolbar does not appear (even though I get the blue popups that it loaded configured for US).
I'll reiterate, it isn't about trying to fix something with the client or server, it is about making our work more efficient.

As I provided an example of earlier, being able to delete a bunch of useless junction nodes, regardless if there are "forbidden" turns set, is a great time saver vs "select and delete" individual nodes on a road that was needlessly broken up into dozens of segments.

Simplifying geonodes is a great help when working on a city on a grid layout where the streets are mis-aligned, but have those single or double geonodes on straight sections of street. Using the "clear geometry" tool is only marginally helpful because if you're trying to fix an entire street, it may curve at some point and you certainly don't want to delete the curve. Simplifying the street is a better solution because it got rid of the excess geonodes that made editing a pain, but preserved curves.

To re-iterate what Steve mentioned, bring back the tool so it can only be applied to selected segments and I'd be fine with that. It would allow editors to CAREFULLY use it to allow them to spend time on other tasks than having to deal with 50 extra geonodes on a street when trying to fix its geometry.
bart99gt
MAR LAM (W DC Suburbs)
MS/AR/Atlanta Metro AM

Post by bart99gt
Not trying to sound like a broken record, but can we please get the old functionality of the "remove unneeded junction nodes" tool restored, or at least understand the justification for reducing its usefulness as it is now?
bart99gt
MAR LAM (W DC Suburbs)
MS/AR/Atlanta Metro AM

Post by bart99gt
It isn't a permissions issue, it is the functionality of the tool.

Previously, it would clean up superfluous junction nodes regardless if there were restricted turns or not. Now it will only delete those if all turns are allowed, which makes the tool relatively worthless. It was great for cleaning up a bunch of junction nodes after setting a direction of a street, which would have a bunch of nodes with their turns set every which way. Now you have to manually delete them one by one, which is very inefficient when dealing with unedited map.
bart99gt
MAR LAM (W DC Suburbs)
MS/AR/Atlanta Metro AM

Post by bart99gt
PesachZ wrote:I'll just put it out there that I too have seen cases where a street is two way on both sides of a node but you are not allowed to cross the node in one direction. This was in the middle of a block, not at an intersection. On one side the street the town erected a few bollards and a do not enter sign, the total length of the street which was essentially one way was about 0.3 meters, way below the minimum segment length of 5 meters. The only proper way to map this is with a node in middle a one red arrow. A node the tool would have removed, and from anything besides almost full zoom or street view you wouldn't think twice about it.

These typically exist where HOA, or towns don't want to inhibit internal traffic but want to keep people from making shortcuts through.

I've seen in more than one place, in more than one country.

Sent using Tapatalk for Android
Let's try to keep some perspective though, I have more than 750,000 edits, and I can recall doing this maybe once. So, at least in my case, it has been a 1:750,000 occurance in two and a half years of editing.

The reason why I wanted to know what the developer's justification for crippling the tool was. It is already restricted to AM/CM or L5+ editors, so we are talking about a rather small subset of editors that have access to it in the first place. So take into account the number of users that have never encountered the one possible instance where use of the tool has a negative impact, and we're probably talking maybe a 1:1,000,000 (or greater) chance of someone accidentally deleting a node that was deliberately set. But it has immeasurable value in editing unedited areas.

I would be all for Thortok's suggestions as to how improve the tool and maintaining its usefulness for cleaning up the map.
bart99gt
MAR LAM (W DC Suburbs)
MS/AR/Atlanta Metro AM

Post by bart99gt
Fix: Suppress unneeded junctions skips junctions with u-turns or forbidden turns (#208)
Are we going to get this "fix" reversed sometime soon? It really has had a negative impact on the usefulness of the tool.
bart99gt
MAR LAM (W DC Suburbs)
MS/AR/Atlanta Metro AM

Post by bart99gt
Perhaps, but I never saw much, if any discussion as to it being a problem in the first place.
bart99gt
MAR LAM (W DC Suburbs)
MS/AR/Atlanta Metro AM

Post by bart99gt
https://www.waze.com/editor/?env=usa&lo ... 3,26199824

This is why we need to be able to delete junction nodes with "forbidden" turns. All I did was set the street direction to two-way, now I'm left with this mess to clean up just so Waze will route properly.
bart99gt
Last edited by bart99gt on Sat Jul 25, 2015 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MAR LAM (W DC Suburbs)
MS/AR/Atlanta Metro AM

Post by bart99gt
Remove unneeded junction node tool is still broken.
bart99gt
MAR LAM (W DC Suburbs)
MS/AR/Atlanta Metro AM