Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!

{DISCUSSION} Pages Nominated for Wazopedia GLOBAL wiki

Post by
I am starting this thread as a placeholder for discussion. This thread will be linked to from each page which has been nominated to be included in the new Wazopedia global wiki.

Editors can discuss here if they feel a certain page should be nominated to be included as a Global page in the global instance of the soon-to-be new Wazopedia.
They can also use this thread to discuss if they think a page which has already been nominated for the global wiki, would be better left out of the global wiki, and instead belongs better in a local wiki.

Anyone interested in the conversation on which pages should be moved to the global wiki in the new Wazopedia structure, should subscribe to this thread. (Hint: I recommend all Wiki Masters subscribe [emoji6] )

For a complete list of all pages currently nominated for the global wiki, see the Google spreadsheet, or the wiki category list.

Sent using Tapatalk for Android

POSTER_ID:16413809

Send a message

Post by Andris30
Link 'Social networking' not working or broken :(
2016-04-17_12-28-09.png
(25.89 KiB) Downloaded 1909 times
Andris30
Local Champ Mentor
Local Champ Mentor
Send a message
https://s.waze.tools/s0100.pnghttps://s.waze.tools/c4s.pnghttps://s.waze.tools/beta.png
CM: Latvia; Android beta tester;
AM: Южная Сибирь; Casablanca, Morocco

Post by Andris30
Hi!
Singapore and Vietnam flag icon failes are missing.
https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/Map_editing
Andris30
Local Champ Mentor
Local Champ Mentor
Send a message
https://s.waze.tools/s0100.pnghttps://s.waze.tools/c4s.pnghttps://s.waze.tools/beta.png
CM: Latvia; Android beta tester;
AM: Южная Сибирь; Casablanca, Morocco

Post by bummerdude69
PesachZ wrote:On the talk page there is a link to the forum thread to discuss changes on the page.
Is that SOP, to have a link to the thread on the talk page?

I've always heard (and so never looked) that the talk page was not used. If it's not SOP, I think it would be a good one.
bummerdude69
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by deeploz
Agreed PesachZ.

This page would have been a very sound basis for a Global page providing global guidance in editing rest areas and I've marked up as Global for that reason, one year ago, with a totaly different vision of what should be a Global Wiki than we try to have today.

But considering the uncertain direction of the Global wiki about Global guidance and considering that our US fellows don't have to wait for the Global team to update a page that is, obviously, THEIR page, I can only agree with this proposition to demote the rest area page.
deeploz
Emeritus Local Champ
Emeritus Local Champ
Send a message

Post by deeploz
Hello,

This is identified. The page has been altered by a hack attempt a few days ago. We are awaiting the green light from the Staff (Wiki Staff admin team) to revert this and restore the right page.

Thank you.
deeploz
Emeritus Local Champ
Emeritus Local Champ
Send a message

Post by deeploz
Just to keep you up-to-date.

I've restored the page and reverted the gibberish pages created by this hack attempt.
Everything should be right now. If not, do not hesitate to report it (here or to your local Wiki Master)

best,
deeploz
Emeritus Local Champ
Emeritus Local Champ
Send a message

Post by DwarfLord
Additional clarity has emerged (for me, at least) regarding criteria for inclusion in the Global vs. Local Wiki. If I understand correctly, the editing community prefers the Global Wiki to focus on the technical aspects of editing in WME, and not guidelines or questions of best practice.

Given this, it seems terrifically clear to me that Places/Parking lot should not be in the Global Wiki. It contains no technical information whatsoever! It simply provides the US perspective on where and where not to use the Parking Lot Place.

I would like to propose that this article be removed from consideration for the Global Wiki and be established as a USA-only article.
DwarfLord
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Send a message

Post by DwarfLord
I would like to see Waze's cooperation in formulating, or at least "blessing", some fundamental global application guidelines. Guidelines thus blessed should, I think, have a place in the Global Wiki.

Without Waze's involvement, user-submitted application guidelines are just opinions based on experience and preference, not on any direct knowledge of intent or future plans. While I may agree with those opinions, I have no standing to tell anyone else to agree with them. It has been hard enough finding consensus on some things within the US. I suspect it would be far more difficult to do so internationally.

Getting Waze engaged is the only way I see to establishing some limited set of global application guidelines. Otherwise I feel reluctantly forced to agree that the Global Wiki should be devoid of anything but technical information.
DwarfLord
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Send a message

Post by DwarfLord
Shall I take it as agreed by the Global Wiki Moderator community that Places/Parking lot can be removed from the Global Wiki?

This page contains no technical information. It only describes conventions on appropriate uses of the "Parking Lot" Place type. My understanding is that, since every country should be as free as possible to come up with its own conventions, such guidance has no place in the Global Wiki.

(That is, unless Waze itself wishes to offer conventions. Apple did something like that when it issued its Human Interface Guidelines for those writing software for Apple computers. These Guidelines led directly to a more uniform user experience. However, I'm not aware Waze has offered any such guidelines, or that it has any interest in promoting a uniform user experience from one region to another at the expense of regional autonomy.)
DwarfLord
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Send a message

Post by DwarfLord
I would be glad to see a set of global mapping conventions adopted. This would benefit app users by providing a more uniform experience. The question in my mind is whether Waze will review or endorse any of the guidelines that come out of such a process. If not, and we are on our own, then I agree with petervdveen that finding global agreement may be very difficult indeed. Perhaps even impossible.

Maybe we can decide to pursue the idea of global mapping conventions/recommendations in the future, but make the Parking Lot wiki article US-only in the meantime?
DwarfLord
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Send a message