Waze mega-wazers Paris meetup follow-up

Post by krankyd
Hi guys,

Here are the main items we came out with from the meeting that took place on the 19th.

General / High level requirements from wazers:
In the meeting, we heard you mention three big ‘areas’ that you would like waze to improve in, and we completely agree with you and will keep them:
1. Know more about my area
2. Get better tools to communicate with people in my area / country
3. Have more control and power to protect my area

These will be our core considerations for future developments on the Papyrus and in general.

Suggestions, features and bugs - sorted by their 'field':

Here's the list of the items discussed and their status.

Client
• Get more specific information about update requests, and a better way to communicate with those who only use the application and not the map editor.
Verify that reporting a traffic jam will affect traffic calculation – verified and true (see this post for more information)
• Routing timeouts – we need your help. Please help us by filling out this form about routing timeouts (including the country you are in, and the time in GMT when it happened)
• Bring back Road editing (names) to the application
Highway shields for European highways --- added to client on version 3.2, will be added to the editor in the next updates (July 2012)
Stop the points for chit-chats
Increase 200 miles route limits
Smooth roads and turns (for both iPhone and Android) - will be fixed for our nexdt version. 90 degrees turns will be shown as straight. Added on version 3.2

Papyrus

• Add an option (layer) to see all segments that are currently locked.
• Be able to report toll roads, and time-based restrictions. (And make this option available for top users only).
Remove the 'general error' update request type as they have no real value (we are implementing a process that will delete all general error update requests that are still open after 3 months. In the future we will remove this type all together)
• Have a 'status' for each update request, in case it requires a lot of work and I can't complete it all right now.
• Change the automated answer for update request to the local language
Limit the areas we give to new AM, specifically in countries where our map is already 'good enough' --- EDIT: new Country Manager mode was successfully launched in some leading countries such as Italy. More countries can request to switch to this mode by contacting support
Give an option to block users from adding any new cities
READY! Implemented successfully in the Netherlands, and will be considered for other countries as well

• Roundabouts on Papyrus have a few bugs - for example, cannot delete a part of a roundabout. Also, missing the option to mark a bunch of segments and say 'this is a roundabout'
And finally, users are able to create a roundabout on a roundabout and delete the one below
Make turn and restricted turn arrows available for the color blind.
Increase the screen size (actual window of editing) – currently limited by technical limitations. We will work on improving this in the future, but at the moment this will not change. EDIT (Jan. 17th) - we have increased a small portion of the screen (on the bottom) and will also work on minimizing the map problem and update request panels
• Better translation to local language (of the new editor)

=====

There were other ideas and suggestions, but we believe these were the major ones, and more important - these are the ones we will try and add to our road map. If you have any comments, please feel free to share them here.

[Edit (dmcconachie)]: Stickied and link to my summary.
krankyd

POSTER_ID:84

Send a message
Last edited by krankyd on Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:00 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Reason: Added Paris to title and unstickied
wazing like a hurricane

Post by argus-cronos
dmcconachie wrote:I think "top users" should just be replaced with something along the lines of "experienced users".

Where there are points-based systems there will always be an element of elitism. I don't think it's a big problem or even prevalent in waze yet.

I absolutely think those that have demonstrated a long-term dedication to waze and show experience, knowledge, enthusiasm should definitely be given more access and rights - if for no other reason than it takes some of the strain off the shoulders of the support guys.

That's not to say that a brand new user shouldn't be able to do anything. I think the 1-mile radius is certainly enough to start with, could it be expanded later on? Potentially (rank 1?). But I think that most users looking for more access rights will venture here and learn about becoming an Area Manager. I've see enough of my work changed for the worse to know that letting a user who has no want to join this side of the community is not necessarily the right way to go.

+1
How is that meant? I think only if there is allready an existing one?
Highway shields for European highways
Are they in Country specific colors?
argus-cronos
Send a message
Last edited by argus-cronos on Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by argus-cronos
that's what i thought. And should also beeing active when bringing back road editing names to the client.
argus-cronos
Send a message

Post by dmcconachie
I think "top users" should just be replaced with something along the lines of "experienced users".

Where there are points-based systems there will always be an element of elitism. I don't think it's a big problem or even prevalent in waze yet.

I absolutely think those that have demonstrated a long-term dedication to waze and show experience, knowledge, enthusiasm should definitely be given more access and rights - if for no other reason than it takes some of the strain off the shoulders of the support guys.

That's not to say that a brand new user shouldn't be able to do anything. I think the 1-mile radius is certainly enough to start with, could it be expanded later on? Potentially (rank 1?). But I think that most users looking for more access rights will venture here and learn about becoming an Area Manager. I've see enough of my work changed for the worse to know that letting a user who has no want to join this side of the community is not necessarily the right way to go.
dmcconachie
Send a message
dmcconachie • Former Global Champ

UK WikiUK FB PageCurrent status

Post by fvwazing
jabou wrote:
TonyG-UK wrote: It appears to me that there has been a language pattern change on the forums in recent weeks that points towards things going the wrong way in this regard, so I'm drawing a line in the sand now to bring it to attention.

+1
I completely agree with that and I'm afraid about that too.
Even if I did only 4 or 5 updates, I still can edit most of wikipedia pages, for a mispelling for example. This IS how I feel in the community. I wouldn't send a email to say "watch out" there a 3 "f" on trafffic on page XXXXX.
Correct. But a Wikipedia-rookie is NOT allowed to do *everything*. There are pages in Wikipedia that are NOT available but for the more experienced. There are pages that are locked but for an inner circle. There are pages that have such an interesting/controversial subject that they are locked to prevent that they are updated forward and backward over the cause of a single day. Editors can keep a watch on pages. Changes can be rolled back with the click of a mouse. There are discussionpages to explain why and how. We have NONE of that in Waze.

On the contrary: if you apply to be an AM, you are set. In Paris, you would have the right to improve the Arc de Triomphe even though you have never witnessed a single Map-update.
fvwazing
Send a message
Waze jezelf!
600K+ edits
AM for some 25.000 km² around Maastricht, the Netherlands
iPhone 3Gs / iOS 6.0.1

Post by jabou
You forgot : "open an office in Paris" :lol:
jabou
Emeritus Local Champ
Emeritus Local Champ
Send a message
jabou
wazer sur iPhone 5s, éditeur sur MacOS et W7, AM en région parisienne, en Haute-Savoie et dans le Var

Post by jabou
TonyG-UK wrote: It appears to me that there has been a language pattern change on the forums in recent weeks that points towards things going the wrong way in this regard, so I'm drawing a line in the sand now to bring it to attention.

+1
I completely agree with that and I'm afraid about that too.
Even if I did only 4 or 5 updates, I still can edit most of wikipedia pages, for a mispelling for example. This IS how I feel in the community. I wouldn't send a email to say "watch out" there a 3 "f" on trafffic on page XXXXX.
jabou
Emeritus Local Champ
Emeritus Local Champ
Send a message
jabou
wazer sur iPhone 5s, éditeur sur MacOS et W7, AM en région parisienne, en Haute-Savoie et dans le Var

Post by robin1979
argus-cronos wrote:
How is that meant? I think only if there is allready an existing one?
No, stop users from creating new city names. Some countries are nearing completion, and blocking new city names is a way to prevent missspellings and stuff like that.
robin1979
Send a message
MapSquadEurope
Area Manager - Europe

Post by Timbones
Sounds good!
krankyd wrote: • Remove the 'general error' update request type as they have no real value (we are implementing a process that will delete all general error update requests that are still open after 3 months. In the future we will remove this type all together)
Maybe keep those which have extra information typed in?
krankyd wrote:• Roundabouts on Papyrus have a few bugs - for example, cannot delete a part of a roundabout. Also, missing the option to mark a bunch of segments and say 'this is a roundabout'.
Could also do with the opposite: mark a bunch of segments and say 'this is not a roundabout'.
(I can provide examples of half-roundabouts, as well as circular junctions which are not roundabouts).
Timbones
Coordinators
Coordinators
Answers: 2
Send a message
Timbones(6) • UK Coordinator • Forum Moderator • Closure Monitor
Scripts: WME Colour HighlightsWME Route TesterWME Geometries

Post by TonyG-UK
krankyd wrote: Papyrus
• Be able to report toll roads, and time-based restrictions. (And make this option available for top users only).
I'd like to focus on an issue that I've seen creeping into a number of posts on the forum from various people, in various guises, which I feel is important to clarify (and hopefully quash) now: elitism

"Top users", "Mega-wazers", rewards for top wazers.

Are you building a community, with everyone working towards a common goal, or a hierarchy, with those at the top receiving the rewards?

Let me give you an example: editing permissions from driving - users are currently given a 1-mile editing corridor around their driven routes. This should be changed so that it scales with experience, e.g. for each 10K edits, your corridor widens by 1/4 or 1/2 mile. What should not happen is that the Top-10 wazers get blanket (or wide spread) editing permissions.

It appears to me that there has been a language pattern change on the forums in recent weeks that points towards things going the wrong way in this regard, so I'm drawing a line in the sand now to bring it to attention.
TonyG-UK
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/6/69/W ... 00k_5c.png
UK Country Manager. Area manager: Wiltshire, UK