Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Forum rules
Waze App Useful Resources

Not bringing up preferred routes

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
I have noted that recently, whether related to v3 or not, that when bringing up alternate routes from usual departure locations, Waze no longer brings up a route which shows the heart/favorite icon.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps

POSTER_ID:701618

Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
gettingthere wrote:Do you have the following setting on:

Settings
Advanced
Auto-learn routes to frequent destination

Not sure if this setting also impacts preferred/favorite route.
Yep.
gettingthere wrote:FWIW, I have never seen a preferred/favorite route on the Routes screen. But then again I am usually following Waze's guidance...
I've had it come up in the v3 betas, but don't recall any since the release.

I agree on following the guidance. I know Waze gives me the correct shortest/fastest way, but that is also up in foothills which get colder and road conditions are less than ideal as we head into winter, so based on temperature, I will often choose a lower elevation/less winding route. Waze has shown me this route as a favorite before, but doesn't any longer.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
gettingthere wrote:Have you taken this alternative, lower elevation route recently? Maybe Waze purges these alternatives at some point if they are not used frequently?
Yep. In fact, it is my preferred route, being only 5 minutes slower in general, because it does not include as much turning and braking/accelerating through the winding roads on the hills. The shortest route is a state highway, but still, overall, even in good weather, is a less safe route and I prefer the slightly longer route about 75% of the time.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by gettingthere
Do you have the following setting on:

Settings
Advanced
Auto-learn routes to frequent destination

Not sure if this setting also impacts preferred/favorite route.

FWIW, I have never seen a preferred/favorite route on the Routes screen. But then again I am usually following Waze's guidance and don't have a 'favorite' route on my daily commute. My 'favorite' route is the one with the least traffic and fastest drive - so hopefully Waze is doing it's thing :)
gettingthere
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
San Diego, California USA and Tijuana, Mexico

Post by gettingthere
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:I know Waze gives me the correct shortest/fastest way, but that is also up in foothills which get colder and road conditions are less than ideal as we head into winter, so based on temperature, I will often choose a lower elevation/less winding route. Waze has shown me this route as a favorite before, but doesn't any longer.
Have you taken this alternative, lower elevation route recently? Maybe Waze purges these alternatives at some point if they are not used frequently?
gettingthere
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
San Diego, California USA and Tijuana, Mexico