Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

How to handle The roads are too far apart ... problem?

Post by
The problem is caused by a gas station at the intersection of two roads. Waze detects traffic going through the gas station and thinks a road is missing. What is the best way to handle this problem:
1. Add a private road through the gas station.
2. Add the gas station as a landmark (does Waze use this information?)
3. Report as not a problem.

This problem also applies to drive through ATM's, fast food places, etc.

Thanks!

POSTER_ID:3908536

Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
According to the wiki, service road is the right type for gas stations, convenience stores, etc.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by argus-cronos
It should not route over no entrance roads or change directionality of the segment when it's locked. i have never experienced this.
argus-cronos
Send a message

Post by argus-cronos
CBenson wrote:
argus-cronos wrote:It should not route over no entrance roads or change directionality of the segment when it's locked. i have never experienced this.
There have been a number of instances where I have changed a road that is temporarily closed to no entrance. Many here have chastisted me that such an action is insufficient. And sure enough, if I don't actually disconnect the road, I get update requests regarding the road closure and sometimes can get my own phone to route over the no entrance road.
Strange waze...
I have several walkingtrails here they lead to a bridge with a freeeway on it. As i begun with waze i left these walkingtrails open for both directions. As i tried to navigate to the freeway waze was routing me over these walkingtrails to the freeway. After i locked them to no entrance it never happend again. Another strange story!
argus-cronos
Send a message

Post by bgodette
sagi wrote:Actually the parking lot road doesn't have to match your drive exactly. Its enough that the last segment you are snapped to, is a parking lot road. So putting only entrance/exit parking lot road stubs should suffice in repressing map problems.
Interesting, but what happens if you have say a large mall with a large outer ring road, but only 4 or so access point from real streets, and the geometry is such then if you go around the ring you snap to real roads.
IOW your last snap was a Parking Lot, but while still driving around you snap to a real street, drive around a bit more, then snap to another Parking Lot segment.
bgodette
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by bgodette
Nucleardean wrote:I fixed the issue by adding a service road to the entry/exits.
Service Road is identical to Street. Do not use it, ever, as all you've done is told Waze there's this new legal route that bypasses the turn and it will be used by routing and given to users and will cause endless URs. Everything you think Service Road would be used for is covered by Parking Lot, Private, Street, Dirt Road, Primary Street, and Minor Highway.
bgodette
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by CBenson
Most often I've been adding a parking lot road through the gas station. I'm not sure what the "best" way to handle the problem is.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902

Post by CBenson
jasonh300 wrote:In reality, it's not a problem. Waze sees traffic driving through there, and wonders if there's a real road missing, and you tell it "no" by checking "not a problem". However, the problem may continually come back.
It seems to me to be problem to the extent that wazers are leaving waze on as they get gas. Without the added road (or parking lot landmark), the GPS data might be assigned to the adjacent road and might effect the routing decisions.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
I was under the impression that "Parking Lot" landmarks (not all POIs) suppressed the creation of map problems within their bounds. I was looking back at these discussions http://www.waze.com/forum/viewtopic.php ... =50#p93414 and http://www.waze.com/forum/viewtopic.php ... 66&p=95284 for clarification of what a parking lot landmark does. It doesn't seem very clear.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message