Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
Post by txemt
As far as I know, there's only one active editor in PR. He's on the SE side of the island.
txemt
Send a message
Just wazeting my time to help you waze your route smoothly.

Post by txemt
Si. It's been lined up for a long time, but kinda fell to the wayside.
txemt
Send a message
Just wazeting my time to help you waze your route smoothly.

Post by WeeeZer14
I am the regional coordinator for the south-east US which includes Puerto Rico. I can help with locks as needed. (Warning: I don't know Spanish though)
WeeeZer14
Send a message
iPhone 5s (AT&T) • iOS 7.0.3 • Waze 3.7.6.0
[img]https:///V68te[/img]
✰ Mega Driver ✰ Mega Mapper ✰ 1M Points ✰
Country Manager: USA • Regional Coordinator: USA South Atlantic (KY, TN, NC, SC)
Navigation/Routing ExpertForum Moderator

Post by WeeeZer14
For the continental US we have been trying to follow the "functional classification" of roads to determine what road-type to assign. The functional classifications are set by each state/commonwealth, but are based upon federal standards.

On the FHWA page discussing these standards is this paragraph:
fhwa.dot.gov wrote:Classification Criteria for Alaska, Hawaii, and Puerto Rico
The classification of rural and urban systems in Alaska, Hawaii, and Puerto Rico can generally be consistent with the functional system characteristics described in the preceding sections. However, there may be roads on small islands or in other areas that are isolated from the remaining parts of the State or Commonwealth, and none of these roads may meet the criteria for classification as arterial because of the absence of long-distance, through trips. Conversely, there may be undeveloped areas that have very few miles of collector and local roads. Thus, because of the considerably different geographic conditions existing in these areas as compared to the other 48 States, the systems extent for the rural functional classes may vary from that shown in Table II-2. The systems extent for the urban functional classes should be fairly consistent with that shown in Table II-3.
So I take that to mean that it won't be perfect, but start with what we are trying to do in the Lower 48 :)
WeeeZer14
Send a message
Country Manager: USA • Regional Coordinator: USA South Atlantic (KY, TN, NC, SC)

Post by WeeeZer14
Yes, you folks on the island will need to work together to define a solution that works. I would attempt to stay close to what the continental US has implemented to make it easier to document your standards and also to troubleshoot routing issues.

I am very familiar with the standards as applied in both urban and rural areas all over the eastern half of the US, so I'd be more than willing to help you guys work out a plan. But in the end, you guys know your roads better than I do :)
WeeeZer14
Send a message

Post by WeeeZer14
Wisin3 wrote:
WeeeZer14 wrote:I am the regional coordinator for the south-east US which includes Puerto Rico. I can help with locks as needed. (Warning: I don't know Spanish though)
Hi. I would like to know if you could take care of this "issue". Many streets in this permalink are locked by some "abusive" user, which is Level 3 editor (called LouisPR). Though, the streets are incomplete, no names, and wrong driving directions... I am trying to change driving directions and/or adding roads but it is impossible for me. Thanks a lot whit any help about this. Thanks!!

Permalink:
https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=4&lat ... TTTTTTTTFT
Looks like you have been updated to a level 3 editor yourself now. Do you still need assistance with any locks?
WeeeZer14
Send a message

Post by willps
Preferred language should be the local one. Though roads should have the name of the street whether it's English or Spanish.

The lack of street names is an issue indeed. And not having Google's Street View is a huge disadvantage when not near the place. Is there an alternative?

Locking a street shouldn't be an every day practice. Locking should be done when it's a very important street to ensure nobody screws it and/or if there are trolls. But a higher level user should be available so we can ask for unlock when a modification needs to be done. Not sure who that user could be in Puerto Rico's Waze community.
willps
Send a message
Last edited by willps on Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post by x556
I've been having issues in my head when it comes road types, specially highways. We need someone from the department of transportation of Puerto Rico to help us out determine the road types because under my judgement major highways should only be the interstates, like 22, 52, 66 and such. All others should be considered minor highways. Naming is an issue if you don't live in an area, I even noticed google maps to be outdated on some naming. But that's something we gotta live with. But yeah I see some highways as expressways and I believe those are none existent here in Puerto Rico, anybody care to advice or input in to this matter?
x556
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message
LVL 3 Waze Map Editor from Toa Alta, Puerto Rico
ENGLISH/SPANISH
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/5/5a/W ... M_only.png

Post by x556
Sorry I meant to say Freeways not expressways
x556
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message
ENGLISH/SPANISH

Post by x556
WeeeZer14 wrote:For the continental US we have been trying to follow the "functional classification" of roads to determine what road-type to assign. The functional classifications are set by each state/commonwealth, but are based upon federal standards.

On the FHWA page discussing these standards is this paragraph:
fhwa.dot.gov wrote:Classification Criteria for Alaska, Hawaii, and Puerto Rico
The classification of rural and urban systems in Alaska, Hawaii, and Puerto Rico can generally be consistent with the functional system characteristics described in the preceding sections. However, there may be roads on small islands or in other areas that are isolated from the remaining parts of the State or Commonwealth, and none of these roads may meet the criteria for classification as arterial because of the absence of long-distance, through trips. Conversely, there may be undeveloped areas that have very few miles of collector and local roads. Thus, because of the considerably different geographic conditions existing in these areas as compared to the other 48 States, the systems extent for the rural functional classes may vary from that shown in Table II-2. The systems extent for the urban functional classes should be fairly consistent with that shown in Table II-3.
So I take that to mean that it won't be perfect, but start with what we are trying to do in the Lower 48 :)
Thanks for your input. I guess the proper thing to do is to have a talk to the folks behind the highway editing in my area and discuss statewide standards ourselves.
x556
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message
ENGLISH/SPANISH