The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

How to handle The roads are too far apart ... problem?

Post by iahim
The problem is caused by a gas station at the intersection of two roads. Waze detects traffic going through the gas station and thinks a road is missing. What is the best way to handle this problem:
1. Add a private road through the gas station.
2. Add the gas station as a landmark (does Waze use this information?)
3. Report as not a problem.

This problem also applies to drive through ATM's, fast food places, etc.

Thanks!
iahim

POSTER_ID:3908536

Send a message

Post by sagi
gettingthere wrote:Although Parking Lot roads only help if there are exactly where the Wazer is driving. Unfortunately if there are enough gps tracks going a slightly different way than where the parking lot roads are drawn, likely to get another map problem.
Actually the parking lot road doesn't have to match your drive exactly. Its enough that the last segment you are snapped to, is a parking lot road. So putting only entrance/exit parking lot road stubs should suffice in repressing map problems.
iahim wrote:Perhaps ATM's, Banks and Restaurants should be suppressed too.
ok, will check this option.
sagi
Send a message

Post by sagi
Parking Lot roads, Parking Lot landmarks and gas station landmarks, all suppress the creation of map problems. If you think that are more road types or landmark types that should have this effect, please let us know.
sagi
Send a message

Post by Nucleardean
Adding newer information to this old thread...

Recently I found that routing to a marked gas station that was on the intersection of two major (with median) streets routed me past the station to the next local street and had me come up "behind" the station were a road didn't exist. I fixed the issue by adding a service road to the entry/exits.

Example:
https://www.waze.com/editor/?lon=-122.0 ... =7&env=usa
I was traveling EB on Thornton so turning left onto NB Fremont and an immediate right into the driveway is the correct path. Waze sent me past to turn left on Moraine Street (NB) and left on Turner Pl (WB).

So it seems that adding the entry/exit driveways can make a big difference for gas stations routing and this seems key for Waze since there is (now) advertising tied to it. I had clicked the popup flag even though I go to that station regularly and was frustrated it routed me incorrectly.
Nucleardean
Send a message

Post by jasonh300
Or they could be just cutting through the gas station to avoid a red light.

The error comes up because Waze wants to know if the GPS data should be assigned to the adjacent road.

I posted the other day about having to put a Taco Bell drive-thru on the map because it's very close to a one-way street and runs in the opposite direction. Waze thought I was traveling against traffic.

I was under the impression that POI Landmarks were just for decoration and didn't serve any actual purpose for routing or GPS data.
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jasonh300
In reality, it's not a problem. Waze sees traffic driving through there, and wonders if there's a real road missing, and you tell it "no" by checking "not a problem". However, the problem may continually come back.

If you add a parking lot road through there, it's not going to affect routing during navigation, but you're telling Waze "it's not a problem, but here's a road...shut up about it!"
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by iahim
sagi wrote:Parking Lot roads, Parking Lot landmarks and gas station landmarks, all suppress the creation of map problems. If you think that are more road types or landmark types that should have this effect, please let us know.
Sagi,
Thanks for the clarification. I think this is important information and needs to be added in the wiki.

Perhaps ATM's, Banks and Restaurants should be suppressed too. I'm thinking some users may have used these landmarks in lieu of Parking Lot, so the drive-through traffic may generate map problems.
iahim
Send a message

Post by iahim
In my opinion the gas station landmark is the best approach, assuming Waze actually uses that landmark to avoid generating map problems. And it does not complicate the map by adding more roads and connections.

In my interpretation of the wiki the service road is for access or frontage roads that run parallel to the highway and is not appropriate for a gas station.
iahim
Send a message

Post by iahim
Well, the adjacent road is locked so I can't add the parking lot road unless I leave it unconnected. I will just do an experiment with the landmark and see if the problem comes back.
iahim
Send a message

Post by iahim
Thanks for your replies. I'll just add the parking lot road.
jasonh300 wrote:I posted the other day about having to put a Taco Bell drive-thru on the map because it's very close to a one-way street and runs in the opposite direction. Waze thought I was traveling against traffic.
I think Waze was just trying to warn you not to eat that s##t. :D
iahim
Send a message