Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Forum rules
Waze App Useful Resources

Theory test: TTS speaking "exit" instead of "keep"

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
Folks,

I am trying to nail down the situations when the client will speak "Exit to the right at exit .... " instead of "Keep right at exit .... " I know that it is rare, but I have a theory to propose to you all to debunk if you will.

This is (currently) specific to the NA server.

I have found four different situations where I can reliably get an "exit right" verbal prompt from the client. The only common denominator to them all is that the road I am exiting from is a Minor Highway type. In these four situations, 2 of them are actual ramps, one is a street, and one is a parking lot segment. The ramps are named, the street and parking lot segment are unnamed.

I theorize that the client only gives the "exit right" prompt for non-Minor Highway segments which deviate from the Minor Highway segment at an angle that does not generate a "turn right" prompt. <- That's what I'd like y'all to test.

Please note that this can only be done from the client as the routing server returns the same "keep right" result in the routing instructions returned.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps

POSTER_ID:701618

Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
I am in agreement with you. IMO, only Ramp type should be considered. And, as the map matures, only ramps whose name start with "Exit" should be given the "Exit left/right" verbal instruction. I think the angles might be too much detail.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
CBenson wrote:I've been having a hard time paying close attention to exactly what the instructions are. But are you looking for examples of "exit right" prompts from a minor highway or are you saying you don't get "exit right" prompts from freeways or major highways?
I am saying I haven't ever heard "Exit to the right to exit # ...." except from a Minor Highway. In the cases I've heard, the "exit segment" was a ramp, a street, and a parking lot road type.

Mapcat says he got for exiting off a freeway TO a minor highway today. That's different but similar.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
CBenson wrote:Does the iPhone and Android give the same instructions?
I have heard it always start with "Exit to the right at .... " and then the next street name, or nothing if the next segment is a parking lot.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
To make it easy, I'd like to get a few examples of permalinks to the ramps which prompt with "Exit to the left/right" instead of "Keep right at" because I find that it is rare to get the Exit prompt.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by banished
Keep right, bear right, turn right, and exit right, all have different meanings to me, so my perception is Waze should consider both the angle of the turn and the transition road type. If the transition road is a ramp, I think TTS should always say "Exit..." If it is anything else, TTS should use keep, bear, or turn depending on the angle: let's say "keep right" is 10 to 35 degrees; "bear right" is 36 to 75, and "turn right" is greater than 75. Insert your own numbers, but you've got the idea. But I digress...

That you should hear "exit right" only when leaving a minor highway is consistent with a road I drive every weekday. The transition between the two roads is an unnamed street, but Waze correctly extends itself to the next named road, e.g., "Exit right to Oak St."

I will have to try turning the minor road into a major road to verify your results.
banished
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
GC, ARC, Veteran, CISSP, MCP

Post by banished
Agreed. Angles are a bit much. But you allude to another issue where I see inconsistency in the maps: Ramps.

If you name a ramp, it of course does not display on the client, which I think is the right approach. But Waze/TTS will still display/speak the name if there is one. Here's the inconsistency: A ramp may not be the appropriate road type for a transition road that connects two roads at the same grade-level. I've always (correctly or not) used a ramp when there is a grade-level separation between the two roads since that is consistent with the definition of a ramp (pasted, below). Otherwise, I just put in an unnamed street.

What do you think?

Ramp, noun
1. a sloping surface connecting two levels; incline. 2. a short concave slope or bend, as one connecting the higher and lower parts of a staircase railing at a landing. 3. any extensive sloping walk or passageway. 4. the act of ramping. 5. Also called boarding ramp. a movable staircase for entering or leaving a cabin door of an airplane.
banished
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by banished
WeeeZer14 wrote:What do you guys think about this case then? US-9 and Texas Rd cross on grade, but you cannot make any turns directly from US-9.
Rt9_TexasRd.jpg
IGN has the turn lanes as ramps right now (I may be the last editor on a few segments from when I did triage along US-9) but should these roads then be primary street?
These should be unnamed streets or service roads, perhaps, but not ramps. Excellent example you posted! I can see an argument here for setting US-9 at a different level than Texas Rd since no turns are allowed. Oh, well. That's what keeps map editing interesting.
banished
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by banished
Then there's the possibility we're trying to be too precise in an imprecise world. Maybe the answer here is, do what you think is best...however imprecise that may be? :roll:

All I can add is if I were the AM, I'd label the connector roads as unnamed service roads.
banished
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by banished
mapcat wrote:
banished wrote:All I can add is if I were the AM, I'd label the connector roads as unnamed service roads.
Do we know if there are any penalties associated with service roads?
Uknown, but do we know that there's not?

I'm testing a small section of unnamed street (Waze calls it an "exit") for another purpose, but it's suitable for testing this, too. However, with indeterminable delays in tile updates, it may be weeks before I could answer this one way or the other.
banished
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message