The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

GPS layer not updating evidence

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
Back on October 26, I created some new roads for a development which is planned and roads are gravel with curbs waiting to be paved. You can see some of the roads in question via this permalink, which also has the GPS layer enabled.

Now, here below is the 2nd part of my evidence, which is a screenshot from the client showing the same area, and of special note, is that some of the roads are showing munched and others not.
murray_development_roads.jpg
(123.67 KiB) Downloaded 2730 times
In the permalink, note the lack of GPS tracks along the roads which were new on Oct 26 and munched since then. Side note: these roads aren't paved or open to the public.

On November 7, I asked Dror if he could tell me what user munched the roads. He said he'd have to wait until the GPS points were visible. I have checked every week since then and no GPS tracks have appeared. Nothing.

So, either the GPS layer is borked and not showing what we are being told it should, or ... the only possibility I can think of is that someone who lives close by walked/rode their bike through here to get the munch points, and turned Waze off quickly, therefore meaning that these streets would probably be the "last x meters not shown in Waze for privacy reasons" streets.

Other thoughts?
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps

POSTER_ID:701618

Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
There are only three GPS tracks in and out of my neighborhood even though I am running Waze nearly daily in that area. It's hard to know how old those tracks are.
jasonh300 wrote:BTW Alan, what was on that site in the obviously outdated aerial image? A trailer park? It looks so neat and new, but I saw the aerials on other websites that show it all cleared and filled with dirt.
It was a trailer park, but several years ago was condemned to make "new and better" mixed housing/retail. Right now is still a lot of dirt, but the new roads are in place with curbs, just not asphalt.
jasonh300 wrote:..you see that "pile" of GPS arrows on SW 139th St? I wonder if that's the residence of a Wazer, who left Waze turned on and maybe mowed his lawn or walked around his house and left a GPS trail.
I thought the same thing.
RickW-NC wrote:Having the userid in there would be nice too but that is probably a big privacy concern.
Yes, I think it possibly could be.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
Thanks, Eyal.

Another spot is the MP51 interchange on I-580 in Livermore, CA, where the drivers have been using the new ramps and overpass since mid-November. No GPS points, though. :( Hard to get the roads aligned better...

https://www.waze.com/cartouche/?zoom=5& ... FTFTFTTTTT
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
The next version of Papyrus, release tbd, should have an updated gps points layer.

--
If it looks strange, or I used bad grammar or misspelled anything, it's my phone's fault.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
foxitrot wrote:But the waze's tweet makes it clear, I hope at least to understand it this way - they will check and fix the GPS layer after releasing the next Papyrus.
Not sure what the "waze's tweet" you are referring to, but the next Papyrus release and GPS layer fix will likely be the same thing. ;)
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
CBenson wrote:
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:Not sure what the "waze's tweet" you are referring to
I'm assuming the tweet linked to in Timbones post.
Ah, yes. Got it. They are linked; ie the same thing.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
foxitrot wrote:
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:... the next Papyrus release and GPS layer fix will likely be the same thing. ;)
Need to fix Papyrus' GPS layer for this? Cartouche's does not show any recent GPS traces as well. This whole thread was about no recent GPS traces appearing anymore - I doubt any bug in both editing apps would cause this...
I understand it doesn't immediately make sense. But it does.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
CBenson wrote:Do you guys have any idea when this will be now?
I would be surprised if it was in January, but they are on an aggressive timeline to remove Cartouche from availability, even still missing some features. At the Palo Alto meetup, we let them know the essential features we think still need to get into Papyrus (rename coming) before Cartouche is no longer available. I would love to give you the short list right now, but it's not in my notes.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by bgodette
Doesn't look like there's GPS points in my area newer than mid December when this overpass opened.
bgodette
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by CBenson
Anyone heard anything further on when this might get addressed? The lack of current gps tracks is a problem when trying to update roads to take into account new construction.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902