Theory test: TTS speaking "exit" instead of "keep"

These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Moderators: Unholy, bextein

Re: Theory test: TTS speaking "exit" instead of "keep"

Postby CBenson » Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:04 pm

WeeeZer14 wrote:What do you guys think about this case then? US-9 and Texas Rd cross on grade, but you cannot make any turns directly from US-9.

What I have been doing in cases like this is making the exits the lower type of two crossing roads, primary street here, unless there are exit signs with either exit numbers or control cities. If there are exit signs I name the ramps with the exit number and/or road and control city and assign the road type of ramp so the name won't show on the client.
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902
CBenson
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby banished » Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:40 pm

WeeeZer14 wrote:What do you guys think about this case then? US-9 and Texas Rd cross on grade, but you cannot make any turns directly from US-9.

Rt9_TexasRd.jpg

IGN has the turn lanes as ramps right now (I may be the last editor on a few segments from when I did triage along US-9) but should these roads then be primary street?

These should be unnamed streets or service roads, perhaps, but not ramps. Excellent example you posted! I can see an argument here for setting US-9 at a different level than Texas Rd since no turns are allowed. Oh, well. That's what keeps map editing interesting.
GC, New England ARC
banished
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby weeezer14 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:50 pm

banished wrote:These should be unnamed streets or service roads, perhaps, but not ramps. Excellent example you posted! I can see an argument here for setting US-9 at a different level than Texas Rd since no turns are allowed. Oh, well. That's what keeps map editing interesting.

I think the "rule" is going to have to be this: for a connector segment between two roads which cross at-grade, the road type of that segment should be set to the lower of the intersecting road types.

So in this case, primary street to match Texas Rd.

There may also be a need to label the segments depending on signage at the specific location. Imagine if at the end of the "ramp" to Texas Rd there was another street going straight. If you were routed in that direction, Waze may announce that theoretical street or maybe the next turn AFTER that while the "ramp" has signs saying "to Texas Rd".

And finally levels wouldn't work in this case. You cannot turn from Rt 9 directly to Texas Rd, but you CAN turn from Texas Rd onto Rt 9.

And to get somewhat back on topic, I have seen the situation where a regular street intersecting a MAJOR highway at enough of an angle results in an "Exit" prompt. I made it more of a right angle right at the junction and now it results in a "Turn" prompt.
iPhone 5s (AT&T) • iOS 7.0.3 • Waze 3.7.6.0
✰ Mega Driver ✰ Mega Mapper ✰ 1M Points ✰
Country Manager: USA • Regional Coordinator: USA South Atlantic (KY, TN, NC, SC)
Navigation/Routing ExpertForum Moderator
weeezer14

Postby weeezer14 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:13 pm

Let me try to get even more on topic. This is the same Texas Rd/US-9 intersection. This is what it looks like headed south approaching the "ramp" to Texas Rd.

TexasRd_SV.jpg
TexasRd_SV.jpg (84.1 KiB) Viewed 1359 times

If it isn't clear, the sign says "Texas Rd / All Turns".

If these "ramps" are made into non-Ramp type and only Ramp types give an "Exit" instruction, then the segment should be named "Exit to Texas Rd" to result in a prompt of "keep right at Exit to Texas Rd".

If we left them as Ramp type or other road types could get an "Exit" prompt, then the segment would need to be named "Texas Rd" to result in a prompt of "Exit right at Texas Rd".

Does that make sense as a way to handle an Exit when it Waze doesn't automatically treat it as an Exit? Any other suggestions?
Country Manager: USA • Regional Coordinator: USA South Atlantic (KY, TN, NC, SC)
weeezer14

Postby banished » Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:22 pm

Then there's the possibility we're trying to be too precise in an imprecise world. Maybe the answer here is, do what you think is best...however imprecise that may be? :roll:

All I can add is if I were the AM, I'd label the connector roads as unnamed service roads.
GC, New England ARC
banished
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby mapcat » Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:10 pm

banished wrote:All I can add is if I were the AM, I'd label the connector roads as unnamed service roads.

Do we know if there are any penalties associated with service roads?
CM, USA/Canada ∙ iPhone 5 ∙ iOS 7.1
mapcat

Postby CBenson » Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:15 pm

Do we know if service roads will be considered for routing in the middle of long routes?
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902
CBenson
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby banished » Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:01 pm

mapcat wrote:
banished wrote:All I can add is if I were the AM, I'd label the connector roads as unnamed service roads.

Do we know if there are any penalties associated with service roads?

Uknown, but do we know that there's not?

I'm testing a small section of unnamed street (Waze calls it an "exit") for another purpose, but it's suitable for testing this, too. However, with indeterminable delays in tile updates, it may be weeks before I could answer this one way or the other.
GC, New England ARC
banished
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby weeezer14 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:37 pm

According to the wiki:

These are streets, sometimes called frontage roads, that are typically adjacent to a freeway (or major highway). These could be access roads to the highway itself, but have the property of a regular or primary street.

So I am not sure if that means that a Service Road ranks as high as a primary street? And not sure if that means for routing weight or not.
weeezer14

Postby mapcat » Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:19 pm

WeeeZer14 wrote:According to the wiki:

These are streets, sometimes called frontage roads, that are typically adjacent to a freeway (or major highway). These could be access roads to the highway itself, but have the property of a regular or primary street.

So I am not sure if that means that a Service Road ranks as high as a primary street? And not sure if that means for routing weight or not.

Exactly. What does "property" mean. And how do we know whether the wiki editor is classifying based on how Waze has coded them, or simply on what makes sense to him. The latter isn't bad, but it's not especially constructive.

FWIW, for me Texas is the state that comes to mind when I think of frontage roads, since practically every freeway has a continuous set of them through the cities, and many businesses there are located on them (with addresses like "12345 I-35E"). They almost always appear as primary streets in that state.

Back to the OP: I was instructed to "Exit right on Exit to SR 95" this morning. Ramp from a freeway to a minor highway. Pronounced "State Route Ninety Five" in case anyone cares.
CM, USA/Canada ∙ iPhone 5 ∙ iOS 7.1
mapcat

PreviousNext

Return to Waze App