Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!

Adding new voice language

Post by Black-Voyager
How do we go about getting voice directions in our own language (Norwegian)? Our neighbours (Sweden) have had it for some time so I was wondering if there is anything we need to do from our end to add this feature.
Black-Voyager
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs

POSTER_ID:13236488

Send a message

Post by argus-cronos
You could talk to Orit or your coordinator transifex (if you have one), norwegian is not in the tts translation strings. Then you need a translator, it seems user "2rB" is translating there, i suggest to contact him.

regards
Argus
argus-cronos
Send a message

Post by artinxan
  • Hi
  • Im looking for kurdish language!
artinxan
Send a message

Post by artinxan
  • Hi
  • Im looking for kurdish language!
artinxan
Send a message

Post by Black-Voyager
Thank you, I have sendt a Message to petervdveen.

When you say "studio", do you mean that the recordings should be done in a proffesional studio environment?
Black-Voyager
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message

Post by edsonajj
Voices from a commercial source should not be used, what has been previously done is that waters have recorded the voice prompts using their own voice and if they have the necessary quality then the files are integrated into the app.

I would recommend sending a direct message to Orit or anyone from the localisation team.
edsonajj
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Edson Jiménez

Post by JiriKremser
It'd be nice to make the app extensible using your own voices. Perhaps defining some kind of filesystem structure, where the voices are read by the app (I haven't check my Android phone how waze stores the data, but I guess it'll be encrypted/non-readable)
JiriKremser
Send a message

Post by orit_y
Black-Voyager wrote:How do we go about getting voice directions in our own language (Norwegian)? Our neighbours (Sweden) have had it for some time so I was wondering if there is anything we need to do from our end to add this feature.
Hi,

At this time we can't add additional TTS languages (including street names) but we can add voice prompts (directions only) in Norwegian.
Do you have a voice from the community members you would like to use?
Do you have a studio to record the prompts?
petervdveen who is our CM for Benelux has managed the project of adding voice prompts and can help as well.

Best,
orit_y
Send a message

Post by tuisutops
Any updates? Would also like to add voice guidance for Estonian. I have some recorded voices used in iGo and TomTom.
tuisutops
Send a message