Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.
Post by banished
Back to the OP: I was instructed to "Exit right on Exit to SR 95" this morning. Ramp from a freeway to a minor highway. Pronounced "State Route Ninety Five" in case anyone cares.
I care! That's why I wonder about things like US Hwy 25 versus US-25, and State Route 543 versus SR-543. Is it necessary to spell out "State Route" when "SR" communicates the same information? ("SR" fits much better in my client and TTS knows what it means.) Anyway, I've been compiling a list of how TTS interprets the text. The list to date follows...in case anyone cares.

There's others, obviously. I just haven't tested all of them, yet.

Blvd Boulevard
Brg Bridge not sure if TTS is trying to pronounce the abbr or understands this is "bridge"
Byp Bypass
CR County Road
Dr Drive
E East
FM ef em farm-to-market road designation common in Texas, mostly
Jr. Junior the period after the 'r' matters
N North
NE Northeast
NW Northwest
RR Rural Road
Rd Road
S South
SE Southeast
SR State Route
St Street
SW Southwest
Tunl Tunnel not sure if TTS is trying to pronounce the abbr or understands this is "tunnel"
W West
banished
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
GC, ARC, Veteran, CISSP, MCP

Post by banished
I can now confirm (because the map finally updated) that changing a minor highway segment to a major highway segment had no effect on this intersection, where a SR-189 S traveler transversing the short street connector between SR-189 S and Green Acres Rd would hear TTS say, "Exit right onto Green Acres Road." It said "exit" when SR-189 was a minor highway, and it says it when SR-189 is a major highway.

https://www.waze.com/cartouche/?zoom=7& ... FTTTFTTTTT

I'll change it back to a minor highway segment in a few days once all currently interested in this thread have had a chance to look.
banished
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
GC, ARC, Veteran, CISSP, MCP

Post by CBenson
WeeeZer14 wrote:What do you guys think about this case then? US-9 and Texas Rd cross on grade, but you cannot make any turns directly from US-9.
What I have been doing in cases like this is making the exits the lower type of two crossing roads, primary street here, unless there are exit signs with either exit numbers or control cities. If there are exit signs I name the ramps with the exit number and/or road and control city and assign the road type of ramp so the name won't show on the client.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902

Post by CBenson
Do we know if service roads will be considered for routing in the middle of long routes?
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:I theorize that the client only gives the "exit right" prompt for non-Minor Highway segments which deviate from the Minor Highway segment at an angle that does not generate a "turn right" prompt. <- That's what I'd like y'all to test.
I've been having a hard time paying close attention to exactly what the instructions are. But are you looking for examples of "exit right" prompts from a minor highway or are you saying you don't get "exit right" prompts from freeways or major highways?
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
Oh! I get an "Exit to the right at" instruction here, here and here. Just to be absolutely precise, the spoken instruction for the first and third is "Exit to the right at exit . . ." The second is "Exit to the right at I-97 South Annapolis." Does the iPhone and Android give the same instructions?
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:
CBenson wrote:Does the iPhone and Android give the same instructions?
I have heard it always start with "Exit to the right at .... " and then the next street name, or nothing if the next segment is a parking lot.
Where I get exit prompts, yes it starts "Exit to the right/left at" and the next street name (dropping the the "to" if the segment name starts with "to"). I don't know about exits to parking lot segments as I haven't seen that. So are you looking for examples where the voice says "Exit to the right to"? I've received exit prompts leaving a freeway on a ramp to a major higway, leaving a major highway on a ramp to a freeway, and from a major highway to a primary street where the prompt is "Exit to the right at ..."
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:To make it easy, I'd like to get a few examples of permalinks to the ramps which prompt with "Exit to the left/right" instead of "Keep right at" because I find that it is rare to get the Exit prompt.
I like easy. Here are a few going the other direction from those above.
https://www.waze.com/cartouche/?zoom=4& ... 2,22096383
https://www.waze.com/cartouche/?zoom=4& ... 0,61502419
https://www.waze.com/cartouche/?zoom=6& ... 2,22008963
https://www.waze.com/cartouche/?zoom=7& ... 5,22064820
https://www.waze.com/cartouche/?zoom=6& ... 48,9293456
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
I'm clearly having a hard time keep it easy. Looking back at the notes I have made to make sure I remember the instructions correctly, I don't get any "Keep right/left at" prompts. What I get are:
1) "Exit to the right/left at ..."
2) "Stay to the right/left at ..." and
3) "Take a right/left at ..."
(and occasionally something else like when passing through a roundabout).
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
Here's another that gives me a "Exit to the right at . . ."
https://www.waze.com/cartouche/?zoom=5& ... 9,22008968
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps